“a reliable old favourite”
Review of Shampers

Shampers
Ranked #2,000 of 24,020 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Soho
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Forget fashion or sharing plates or tapas or ceviche or mini burger or sushi smushi or what ever is the new soho fad ; Shampers is old favourite wine bar , just like you used to get before the chains and the high rents took over the area . I have always loved it here and it never lets me down [ sitting downstairs is slightly quieter ] . I love the atmosphere , a mixture of 80s suits , shoppers and excentric staff , I love the cartoons on the walls , cuttings from private eye in the ladies loos . love the excellent wines by the glass . Love the dishes of the day ; always really nice fish here [ although the veggy options are alittle old fashioned bland ] . Service too is always really quick despite it being busy busy busy . Ate this time ; lovely buttery potted shrimp , then the tuna [ and they asked me how I wanted it cooked , thankyou ] served with most delicious lentils and spinach . My partner had gravalax [ very scandi in its style ] and then a generous sausage and mash [ maybe not best choice to then go back to work on ] . I have had many lunches here and it is just a gem , and perfect for a little special shopping in Liberties afterwards. I would proberbly reccommend booking at lunch time as its always mobbed .

Reviewed April 16, 2013

On this occasion I popped in for a quick working business lunch. Service was unobtrusive yet attentive and the food good. I had seared Tuna (slightly overdone), lentils and spinach (best spinach I have tasted for a while) - £15.50. Good wine list as you would expect given their billing as a wine bar. This was a Tuesday and the place was full so book or expect a wait.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Fewer of us could meet this time for our 6 monthly reunion of old uni friends, and the booking numbers had to be changed at short notice, but Shampers are always very accommodating.The atmosphere on a Friday lunchtime is always very vibrant, the wine selection is always excellent, and the food never disappoints. We all seemed to go for the potted shrimp starter-very tasty, and I had the gurnard which was cooked to perfection.Desserts were all delicious.Seating by the wall can be a little cramped, but the very fact that there is a general acceptance of such minor setbacks without a care reflects the type of clientelle here-a relaxed and convivial bunch who recognise the greater importance of good food, wine and efficient service, with no hint of pressure to finish and move on, which is ideal for our purpose.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Very welcoming with friendly, efficient staff. The wine list is excellent and reasonably (for central London) priced. The food is very good with an interesting selection of specials; the venison especially was cooked to perfection. But then so was the Liver and everything else we had. We will return; probably in the evening to allow for a second bottle; it is the sort of place which makes you want to linger.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

We visited this wine bar/restaurant in January just before we travelled back to Sydney after 3 months in the UK, it was recommended by friends who live aound the corner. On entry we found the ambiance of the place was warm and inviting despite the cheek by jowl seating arrangements, fine if there are no big loud mouths adjacent, on this occasion there wasn't, except a pleasant hubbub around the bar area which wasn't at all disconcerting. The table presented well, the wait staff pleasant and chatty without being overbearing and were casual with the wine list, of which, as one would expect, was chock full of interesting wines. The food ordered was delivered as requested, steak rare to medium, lamb likewise - couldn't fault these dishes. Entres were Charcuterie and Terrine. All washed down with a couple of glasses of a Pinot Gris and a couple of Pinot Noirs. All in all a pleasant experience at Shampers. The bill was reasonable given the position of Shampers. However, what us Aussies can't get used to is the added service charge in many restaurants in UK and Europe in this case 12%!. After eating at Shampers on this occasion we would have left a gratuity anyway because the food, wines and service was good and we enjoyed ourselves. But had we not, it's not good to put the onus on the diner to confront the house with a refusal to pay a service charge, some people, like us would, some people wouldn't, and we find that situation unacceptable, what most people would say is that if restaurateurs paid their staff a decent wage surely there would not be a need for a service charge. In Sydney there would be an outcry if service charges were added, and we have top restaurants here, many of our top chefs have opened up in London. Having said all of that we've given a very good rating.

1  Thank CadigalSydneya1