“Regularly pleased”

Ranked #2,038 of 23,211 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Went to Hare and Tortoise once again this weekend having regularly been before, Ealing, Bloomsbury and Kensington.
Food has always been consistently good, tasty and plentiful (perhaps rice dish portions are too big!). The starters are stand out, spicy wing sticks are our favourites. Sushi is also delicious and it's good to see the menu evolve with new specials and drinks. It's so reasonably priced, we've never left feeling out of pocket.
We always arrive at about 6-6.15pm to sit straight away, after that you'll have a wait but the food service is fast and so when I have had to wait it wasn't for long.
The only let down is the service, in busy periods they lose the smiles and sometimes food can make it to your table before the drinks have but if you go there with your expectations set for excellent food and and a canteen feel you'll have an excellent meal.

There are newer reviews for Hare and Tortoise

Reviewed December 20, 2013

I have been to this place couple of items. As it was not crowded for last few months, no big queues as it used to be.. so decided to visit this place. Ordered some chicken noodles dish.. there was hardly any chicken and so much noodles piled up in the plate.. Disgusting to see plastic inside the food and it really put me off. Supervisor came to me said sorry and didn't do it purposefully. After few minutes of argument, I was asked to order free food or pay 50% for remaining food.. I told that I am not ordering anything..service is very bad and so a big No no to this place.

1  Thank Tanya G
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Went in for dinner and were seated straight away. As it was cold ordered a couple of flasks of sake as well as some starters and main courses. Food is delivered as it's cooked and we had slightly seared tuna and hot and spicy chicken wings for starters. Presentation was great and food tasty. For mains the beef in black bean sauce was good. The duck and rice dish was a little dry and stodgy and came with very little sauce which I think would have helped disguise the dryness. The main issue I had was the surly service we received from the waitress. I understand that they are operating this as a fast food type of dining experience however if you are going to add service charges you need to give an acceptable level of service. As they automatically add it on I'm not convinced the staff are incentivised to bother. If I'm brutally honest I wouldn't rush to return here as there is plenty of competition in the area.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

I have given this four stars. This and my comments relate to this type of chain restaurant and not, for example, fine dining.
We have been going to our local Kensington branch (newly decorated) for a number of years and also to Ealing Broadway. (Conveniently close to station.) I can't speak for other branches, not can I speak for the Sushi which I don't particularly like and think always overpriced, although not here and it is very popular. However, with the rest of their menu, my wife and I enjoy everything which has been consistently good at both branches and very reasoonably priced.
Service is take your order and deliver but for us, it has always been accompianed by a smile.
On this visit, I had Beef Lo Mein in Black and Bean sauce. This was only £6.30 and was very good indeed. Even the beef was tender. (I say "even" as it's not always the case in some Chinese restaurants.) My wife had Chicken Teriyaki on rice which she enjoyed, apart from the skin on the chicken.. This was £6.80. To start we shared a Shrimp and Chive dish, very tasty. £3.60. Refillable tea is just £1. Service charge is up to you.
We might well go more but the Kensington branch is always full at lunchtime. The Ealing branch is bigger and you should get a seat, even if you have to wait a few minutes. Tables are generally close together but the restaurants are reasonably comfortable. They are noisy when full.
Reading other reviews, obviously not everything is to everyone's liking but I can only say that my wife and I have never had a bad meal at either restaurant.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We have been going to H&T in Putney for our lunch before normally once a week. Recently we stopped because it could be a hit and miss.
Service is always rude and you have the impression you are not welcome. It is hard to get attention from staff and they prefer to ignore you.
The food is to 80% good that's why we still going from time to time and it is good value.