Hare and Tortoise
Ranked #2,058 of 23,689 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Often go to H&T for the Curry Laksa, so delicious! The starters are great too. It's convenient, really reasonably priced and quick service. Only quibble is that if you go towards closing time you feel very rushed. I think if you're going to let people in then allow them time to eat their meal. Other than that would recommend.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Last night I was told by the manager at this restaurant that if I didn't tip, the staff would not serve me if I returned. After a very average meal and unfriendly service at the Hare and Tortoise Ealing Broadway, I asked to pay the food bill by debit card and leave a cash tip.

At this point the waitress became very defensive and demanded to know how much tip I was going to leave. I responded that it was up to me how much I would leave (the amount was already at this point rapidly decreasing). The waitress then rushed off to point out a disclaimer on the menu stating that “for parties of 5 or more a 10% service charge would be added to the bill, at the customer’s discretion”. When I pointed out that this meant it was still my choice how much tip I would leave, she rudely marched off to get the manager.

When the manager arrived I expected an apology and some sensible conversation but unfortunately he was equally rude and offensive. He suggested that I pay the tip, then write a letter of complaint to head office explaining why I’d like it refunded.

By this point I was so offended by the treatment I was receiving I said I just want to pay and leave, forget about the tip. He then informed me that if I didn’t tip the waiting staff they will refuse to serve me if I come again.

I’ve never received such terrible customer service. All I wanted to do was leave a cash tip separately and they misunderstood me and proceeded to become so rude and aggressive that I don’t think I’ll ever return.

After visiting the trip adviser website I can see that this is a common occurrence for the Hare and Tortoise and I can’t believe that a business of this size can afford to treat their customers in this disgusting way and then bar them from returning!

11  Thank Jennifer G
Reviewed May 13, 2013

A group of us went to the Hare & Tortoise on a Saturday night, we took our time deciding what to order and. although it was very busy, the staff were very patient with us. After we finally decided what to order, the food arrived quickly and was very tasty. The portions were large and, at £6-£7 for a main course, it was amazing value. I definitely intend to return soon.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Have eaten here a number of times, the Japanese options are excellent and the rice and noodle dishes great value. I have always had the Laksa which is excellent along with the sushi and sashimi. The family love eating here and the prices are reasonable.

Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Went there for the second time still got the service charge on the bill two of us eating and the menu says service charge for five or more people. Told the very rude waitress who said it was a option but no where dose it say that. Food is good but the staff are the rudest I have come across

4  Thank benjwd