“Best outdoor terrace in the City”
Review of Coq d'Argent

Coq d'Argent
Ranked #1,648 of 24,437 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: City of London
Description: Coq d'Argent serves classic French food in its spectacular rooftop setting at No.1 Poultry in the City of London. In addition to the main restaurant, the brasserie offers a less formal menu at lunchtime, while the outdoor terraces and gardens provide a verdant oasis in the heart of the Square Mile.
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Fabulous rooftop garden for dinner and/r drinks. Fabulous wine cellar and fabulous food. A lovely place for business, family or romantic entertaining. Service is great and very helpful. The misplaced my coat at the coat check but were really nice about it.

Phillip A, Manager at Coq d'Argent, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Thank you for leaving your feedback.

I am very pleased you had a great time during your recent visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

with kind regards

Phillip

Write a ReviewReviews (1,316)

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Had lunch today at Coq d'Argent - haven't been there for a while, and I have to say the service has improved dramatically since last time. Much snappier, and aware that lunchtime diners have to return to work. Lovely views, lots of shade if you want it - however, not a cheap experience for the food, and I think charging £11 for four soda waters was a little excessive, as were the side dishes, £4.50 each for a tiny pot of spinach and a dish of sliced tomatoes to share..... but with nice outdoor space limited in London, they will always be busy, and the fish was very well cooked.

Thank you for your feedback.

I am very pleased you had a good dining experience on your recent visit with us.

We are very much aware that lunchtime diners can often be under time constraints so we try to tailor our service speeds accordingly.

We do regular analysis of the local pricing of similar establishments and we always try to be competitive. I have passed your comments on to the Bar Manager and Head Chef for their consideration.

I do hope we will see you again very soon at Coq d'Argent.

Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Great service after a slow start.
Great Wine Cellar.
Got served another proposed wine while waiting for the one we had ordered to take some air'
Never experienced that.

Calme retreat un buzy area!

Will come back!

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I am so very pleased you enjoyed your recent visit with us.

We do try to go the extra mile to ensure guest satisfaction.

I hope we will see you back very soon.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Have eaten here number of times and never been disappointed on the food and wine. Luckily I have never been paying either! This place is spectacular on a sunny day, the outside tables with the greenery and the sunshine are wonderful. Service is very good, although we did wait a while in between courses. Which is fine if you are not in a rush. We spent a long time over the wine with the sommelier and were not disappointed. Steak, Fish and lamb mains were all incredibly tasty and well presented.

However what really irked me was the acceptance that the next table to us were smoking ! Yes we were outside but not in any kind of smoking area. The smell drifting over was very unpleasant and none of the waiting staff bothered to challenge the table who were dropping ash and cigarette ends into a bowl under the table ! I thought this lack of consideration went out with the ark. Yes we could have complained but being stocially british we just paid up, left the brandies and exited - after paying £500 for 4 people for 3 courses plus wine.

Left a nasty taste - literally

Thank you for your feedback.

I am particularly pleased that your recent dining experience went so well and you had an opportunity to utilise the terrace, not had too many chances this year.

I can only apologise for the inconsideration of your neighbouring table, we do allow smoking on the open terraces but would expect some consideration of fellow diners, we are at present looking into the possibilty of having smoking areas.

I do hope this one incident will not put you off returning to visit us.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Went to Coq on Thursday evening - I go there quite a bit for cocktails but hardly ever eat there for dinner due to the food quality not being up to scratch. They were very attentive for dinner and the service was fine. To be honest the food isn't great for the price (it was about £200 for two). I have had much better elsewhere for the same price.

However, the fois gras starter was very nice and the right size (but I had more bread as I don't like it on its own) - my ex had the beef carpaccio which I didn't rate at all and it realy is too small - the beef was a little dry which is unacceptable (I love my beef carpaccio so I have a bit of an opinion on this).

Mains - I had duck which was average and the ex had steak tartare which he said was very good. Puddings were okay, passion fruit sorbet was great and the creme brulee was nice (but its nice at most places).

The wine was excellent and they were most attentive in pouring etc. I think if you make the effort with the staff then they are friendly. I feel very comfortable at Coq so it feels like home which is nice. There should be no standing on ceremony there in my opinion.

The outside is beautiful - as ever - the 'garden' at the top of the building (with views) is probably one of my favourite places in London. The vibe there is also generally good - leave the attitude and airs at the bottom and go and have a fun chatty time.

Best quote from the night from the man on the table across from us, when asked what he thought of the wine he replied with "Immortal"......we had a good giggle at that one!

Thank you for your feedback.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy some of your chosen dishes on your recent visit.
I have passed your comments on to the Head Chef for his consideration.

I am very pleased you felt so comfortable with the staff on the floor, we do aim to deliver good service without being stuffy.

I hope we will be seeing you back at Coq d'Argent soon.