Tripadvisor

Neighborhood: Spitalfields
Cross street: Brushfield Street
Transit: Liverpool Street
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I've wanted to come here for a while and eventually made it!! Food was gorgeous - we had the famous bone marrow and for mains, venison and Guinea fowl. Service was superb, the wine was very good and it was all exceptionally great value. Recommend.

Date of visit: December 2019
Write a reviewReviews (662)

Reviewed January 18, 2020

I visited with a small group of friends for some pudding and a bottle of wine after enjoying a lunch - but no pudding - elsewhere.

A warm welcome, an outstanding choice of wines and a good set of dessert options. A dozen madeleines - light as air, but buttery and full of flavour - soon vanished, as did the rather excellent treacle tart which was beautifully made and not over-sweet. The wine was lovely, as was the service.

Reviewed January 16, 2020

Went here last Sunday.
Had several plates between the 4 of us. The foie gras was incredible as a spread on their bread. I mean incredible.
BUT the best was the Plaice. Best fish I have had outside Spain. Just incredible and worth every pence and even more.
The other dishes were good but the top 2 were world class.
Not loud and could carry on good conversation.
Wine card limited.

Reviewed January 13, 2020 via mobile

The menu is quirky and has lots of interesting offal dishes but the choice is a bit limited in favour of rich fatty food. However, what we had was delicious. We had fantastic meat and game with rich sauces and good wine (also from a fairly short list). The venue is very simple, so don't expect plush surroundings or fancy stem ware with the wine.

Reviewed January 13, 2020

Oh no! There are few simple joys in life so wondrous as the perfect Bacon Butty. Especially spending much time abroad and in a country where proper bacon is rare I had done quite some research into the best places in London for Breakfast and particularly for Bacon Butty’s and various esteemed publications including Tatler, Evening Standard and Time Out all sighted St John as a mecca. The homemade bread apparently is also legendary and it’s location right next to Spitalfields is of course no coincidence.

I was super excited to be heading there and salivating at the thought. There is no denying it’s a bit of trek to get there, but then to my horror it was closed. It tuned out I had been numpty as their opening times on Sunday’s are different (I thought). Afterwards I then realised this was not the case, but that I had gone to the wrong place! I had gone to St John Smithfield (Bar and Restaurant), but I needed to go to St John Bread and Wine which is round the corner :( You really have to dig around on their website to find the opening times and correct info. Perhaps on a future visit at last I get to experience their legendary Bacon Butty, but for now I remain salivating looking at the fabulous reviews this Bacon Butty gets.

Date of visit: December 2019