“Great venue”

Neighborhood: East End / East London
Croydon, United Kingdom
“Great venue”
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

We went on a Saturday afternoon. The pub was rammed by 5pm, the Market was still in full swing. We were going to eat later so the Manageress let us take a table in the Dining area. We sat there drinking for some time before ordering. Good choice of real ales and a good buzz from the 'pub' side.

The food was very good. Those who had the Thai loved it. The Fish and Chips and Smoked Haddock were good. My spicy boar and chorizo burger was great. Service was very good, prices were also typical pub prices for food and had not, in my opinion, been inflated for being in a 'trendy' area.

If I am around there again I will pop back for seconds.

Visited November 2013

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Poor Customer Service when found hairs in the food....”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I have been a regular visitor of this pub\restaurant for several years. Though the drinks and food is pricey for what you get (it’s trading off being in a perceived trendy area) the bar remains popular and has a nice atmosphere. At the weekend, especially Saturday either day or night you struggle to get a seat or table. Of late I have been meeting a friend there on their lunch break and having a bite to eat. On my last trip (2 weeks ago) I ordered the vegetarian burger with chips and salad, after my initial couple of bites I discovered that they was quite a few long hairs in the burger. I obviously left the food and when the bar man came over to clear the table I informed him why I hadn't eaten the food and he just replied “Oh you found a hair”..! I at least expected an apology or for him to offer an alternative, reimburse me or something, but sadly nothing was offered or real acknowledgment. So quite frankly the customer service is very poor. I would never eat here again. I would perhaps go for the occasional drink. I think this was pretty bad customer service being that the Broadway Market now offers a choice of places offering great food at the same or at a more competitive price… I would avoid… unless you like hair burgers lol.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Bboy01
“Five Star Venue”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I like the Dove at lot, the food is good and the atmosphere friendly but something has changed in the kitchen. They seem to have acquired a brilliant Thai cook, or an imitation of one. Friends reported that the prawn curry was excellent and the salmon that I ordered was great, served with lightly steamed vegetable, shavings of fresh ginger and a lovely oriental broth. The venue is comfortable with a choice of noisy spaces (for joining in with the quiz) or quiet ones (for talking) and the staff are always helpful. A lot has been written about the drinks, the Dove deserves five stars.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Buddleja_11
“Recent Visit”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Been to this pub before nothing has changed. Great drinks loads of Belgian beers, ciders and ales and lovely food. On one side a cosy traditional pub on the other a European vibe. Like the fact there is no loud music and you get all sorts of people not just the sad trendy crowd that have invaded Broadway Market. They had a great pub quiz with quirky round - build the biggest tower from newspaper!

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank namedod
“A sad downfall”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Used to frequent this pub-restaurant in 2006-7 when it served excellent food and beers. Revisited in 2013 and discovered an appalling decline in food quality: chewy luke-warm clams in a tasteless thai sauce and a serving of unchewable duck over greasy noodles. a sad downfall.

• Visited August 2013