Tripadvisor

Ranked #964 of 27,498 Restaurants in London
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: The Ivy restaurant has been a firm fixture on London’s dining and social scene since its foundation in 1917. The Covent Garden restaurant and private room upstairs are the epitome of glamour – now more than ever after a triumphant redesign in 2015 by the acclaimed Martin Brudnizki Design Studio. With its shimmering central dining bar, signature harlequin stained-glass windows, oak panelling and striking contemporary art collection, the longevity of this most British restaurant is ensured. Renowned for its food, Executive Chef Gary Lee creates balanced seasonal lunch and dinner menus that place the Ivy classics alongside a contemporary global palette, incorporating more Asian dishes, salads and vegetables, and a “sea and shells” section. Meanwhile, Director Fernando Peire and his experienced team deliver the unfaltering service for which The Ivy has become celebrated for worldwide, over the years. The Ivy welcomes customers without reservations at the central dining bar, where the A La Carte and Table d'hôte menus are both served. In this, its centenary year, there will be a host of special events lined up to celebrate both the past and future of this unique restaurant.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Booked a table for a meal before going to see Mousetrap at the theatre across the road.
The staff were polite and friendly. The food seemed to be on the expensive side but the the set menu was a cheaper alternative.
The food itself was excellent.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (6,233)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The food and the cocktails was really good, but if you have any allergy to be prepared to have the worst service, who took care of my lunch was the manager who was rude and totally unprepared and without patience for my allergy. I went to the restaurant on the recommendation of a friend to celebrate my late birthday and would not return .... But it is a shame, because the bartenders at the bar were really nice ....

2  Thank thrrc
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My mum and i visited The Ivy last Thursday prior to attending the Royal Opera House for the Sleeping Beauty ballet performance. Our experience with the restaurant was far from impressive. We were sat in extremely close proximity to another table, it literally felt like we were sat together with the other couple there and being part of their conversation which wasn't a good start. The food we had was so overpriced for the quality. I had the lamb curry and i can confidently say that i do much better job in cooking that than what i was served for £21! My mum's rabbit and leek pie had only couple of small pieces of meat, the rest was leeks - not good enough for almost £19. The service was slow and the environment rather pretentious. My mum was given a dirty spoon for her dessert and my coffee was served well after her dessert! They charged us %12.5 for service which was appalling and i regret paying it as they certainly didn't deserve it! I will not recommend this place to my family and friends, neither will return there myself. If you are going to pay the high price, there are many other restaurant offering much better quality food and service!

2  Thank JulianaBrown
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Unfortunately the food was not great. Totally expected to pay a lot for our evening and we did, it would have been great to be able to say it was superb, but it wasn't. Ordered fillet steak, had to order vegetables separately at extra cost, ok expected but the steak was so small & although tender didn't have a great flavour. Husband had shepherds pie, great flavour but the size of a burger. Neither of us are big eaters but the price you pay would have been nice to have a bit more on the plate. The place is lovely & staff were friendly enough, but i was surprised to find the ladies loo had chipped paintwork, cracked tiles & looked in need of refurbishment, the money they charge i wouldn't have thought that to be too difficult. Having been i wouldn't go again as its definitely not value for money.

1  Thank DorsetLouLou
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was so excited to come here. Living in a small country in Africa we don't have the privilege of dining at such fancy establishments so we were eating our way through the UK on our visit there with abandon. We decided to treat ourselves towards the end of our trip to a nice steak at a good restaurant and found ourselves utterly disappointed and could've got the same meal at a local bar back home for a fraction of the price.
I had a prawn and calamari starter and instead of it being elegantly grilled and dressed as I expected, it was deep fried in tasteless greasy batter, no seasoning and very bland. The tartar sauce was basically just mayonnaise. What I can say though is that there were lots! My husband had the steak tartare for starter which was also incredibly bland. Average quality beef, no seasoning, he had to coat it in lemon juice and tabasco just to get any flavour from it.
Then for the main event, we each ordered steak. Tough, overcooked, tasteless. The fancy 'truffle oil and parmesan triple cooked chips' were about as good as you'd get at any burger king - good, but not worth £5? No hint of truffle or parmesan. The pepper sauce was literally 2 teaspoons worth, seriously?? When you're paying extra for a sauce AND all the sides, surely you can spare a couple extra teaspoons of sauce? I mean it's cream and pepper for crying out loud, hardly going to batter your bottom line is it? The best thing about the main was the £4 rocket salad....
The service also wasn't great in that our waiter was pretty grumpy and we had to flag a different waiter down every time anyone at our table needed another drink.
For the price, madly disappointed and felt guilty to spend £165 on it whereas if it'd been a memorable and good quality meal I'd have been more than happy to pay £200.

Date of visit: December 2019