“Try the Chevalier Place entrance”

Haandi - Knightsbridge
Ranked #2,742 of 23,677 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Knightsbridge
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We were staying at a hotel in Knightsbridge and wanted an Indian meal. After looking on Tripadvisor we booked at the Haandi. We went in through the Brompton Road entrance and nearly turned round. It is down quite a poorly decorated staircase and along a narrow corridor. Once in, what a transformation. We were greeted warmly and escorted to a table straightaway. The restaurant was fairly empty but the service was still first class with two waiters ready to serve drinks and take food orders. They kept returning to fill the wine glasses during the meal even though other diners began to arrive. We decided on a starter each and a main course each but complimentary poppadums arrived as we were waiting a little while as the chef (who you can see working) prepared the starters. My wife had a fairly expensive sea food starter. On reflection we should have shared this as it was both delicious and extensive. My cassava starter was also good but not as nice as the sea food.
Main courses were also delicious. I had lamb on the bone which I would thoroughly recommend.
Total bill for two courses and a bottle of wine came to £84 including service charge which we though was reasonable for central London. What do you do when you have had really good service but have had 12.5% service charge already added?
We wish we had stayed on for a coffee as the service in our hotel when we went back was much worse and very expensive. We left via the Cheval Place entrance which was much more in keeping with the restaurant as a whole.
Thoroughly recommended.

3  Thank Hasdrubal

Reviewed February 13, 2013

and the waiter looked at my husband (who is English) as if to say, does she know what she is getting into? My husband assured him I did and we shortly had a lovely vindaloo in front of us. It was SO tasty. Very very spicy, although I did make sure to tame the heat with the lovely naan bread, and I would do it again in a heartbeat! Everything was really great about this place and we would definitely go back and recommend to others.

1  Thank Julie N
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I have eaten at Haandi perhaps 8-10 times over the past 5 years and it is one of my favorite restaurants in London. It offers excellent quality food, and if you sit close to the open kitchen it is like watching a culinary ballet. Their chicken and vegetarian dishes are particularly good and their naan (especially the garlic version) is outstanding! Some reviewers have commented that their prices are appropriate for the area, as Knightsbridge can be a tad pricey, but I find Haandi to be a much better value for the money than other Indian restaurants in the area. Also, the service is reliable an friendly, never "snooty" - I don't feel like I'm not "cool enough" to eat there, which is the vibe I sometimes get at nearby Amaya.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

Haandi was a true gem to find! We had the most incredible Indian food. They had a wide variety of vegetarian and traditional Indian dishes. It was walking distance from our hotel and Harrods. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Excellent indian restaurant with an east african background. Very good veg, chicken and lamb dishes. Service was excellent