“Cheap and cheerful”

The Royale Chulan Hyde Park Hotel London
Ranked #766 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed here with my two children and husband. Basic but enjoyable. Not a nice view from our room but they were busy and thee hotel is city centre so I can't really complain. Enjoyed our stay, the children were doted on by staff. We did not do e here but chose to eat elsewhere as we wanted a true London experience.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 2, 2013

We spent 12 days here. Its very clean and safe. there is a lift.
it has air conditioning. the window opens and i felt very safe leaving it open during the night.
Near Bayswater and Queensway underground. Perfect for getting about anywhere you would want to go. I found the staff helpful and kind. Small bathroom but seemed normal for London and it is adequate. I would definitely return again. It is on a quiet street that has little traffic so overall quiet. I never felt unsafe walking with my daughter at night or early mornings. Has a fridge and a pot to make tea. Just good and affordable. Perfect for someone who needs a place to rest before the next days adventures.

Room Tip: We stayed in 201, Id request it back just for being at the end of the hall. I loved the hardwood...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I recently stayed at the The Hyde Park Hotel for two nights (Room 203) second floor.

The hotel is situated in a great area close to Bayswater tube station, supermarkets, lovely pubs and restaurants.
The room itself was clean, there is a small kitchen area situated in room, the mini bar was stocked with beer, cans of coke and bottled water, all reasonably priced. The room was front facing, it did get a bit noisy during the night, for less noise I would recommend a back facing room. My only snag with the room is that it could do with a re-paint, there was a lot of dirty marks on the wall. There is a lift in the hotel, always good for when you have been walking around all day. There is a small car park situated at the side of the hotel, I would recommend that you book this early as the car park is very small and does not hold a lot of cars.

I would recommend this hotel as it is close to Kensington Gardens and Hyde park. I had a great fantastic stay.

Room Tip: Choose a back room for less noise at night.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I have recently stayed at this hotel and although it has its positives for location being near a tube station and being relatively modern, my trip has being massively tainted by the fact when I left my luggage in holding for 2 hours my (expensive) makeup had been stolen from the top of my suitcase, we have rung the hotel several times and they don't seem to care or have anything to say about the situation. Anyone planning on staying in this hotel make sure you lock away your belongings even if you think they are safe locked away in your room.

Secondly we booked two double rooms each paying the same price per night, however when we got into our rooms they were completely different, which yes can be expected however for one to be a tiny boxroom with minimal space down one side of the bed and the sink almost being on top of the shower, luckily we are fairly slender but anyone with a slightly bigger build would have serious problems. The second room was almost double in size, with a much more spacious bathroom they also had a hairdryer and a wardrobe in their room something the smaller room did not have.

Room Tip: rooms at the back are quieter, the front facing rooms are very noisy on an evening.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank anza03
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We booked this hotel as a last ditch attempt at getting a few decent rooms for a family trip to central London in mid June. It was the only thing in central which came in withing budget so we booked it with the thought that 'it'd do' for one night.
The hotel completely exceeded my poor expectations!! Points of note:
1. Staff were very friendly and helpful.
2. Room was spacious and seemed to have been recently refurbished.
3. Room and linen were clean.
4. Mini bar was stocked and reasonably priced (£2.50 for a bottle of Peroni).
5. Cheap tea and coffee rather than something like Nescafé or Tetley. A small upgrade in the tea/coffee facilities would go a long way!

Overall a pleasant stay and I would recommend for a budget hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Roxy531
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My partner and I stayed briefly at this hotel for two nights. This hotel is the one on Leinster Square, not to be confused with the much nicer hotel of a similar name on Bayswater. Rather than bore you with the kind of lengthy review that this hotel does not deserve, I'll simply list the bad and good points here.
Bad:
- Small room.
- Uncomfortable bed.
- Cheap bedding, very wrinkled and did not fit the duvet properly.
- Large number of scuffs on walls.
- Floor not level, poor quality flooring.
- Ensuite shower room cleaned with so much bleach it made it hard to breathe.
- Noisy, I could hear people in neighbouring rooms coughing, talking, and walking around their rooms.
- No side lamps or atmospheric lighting.
- Basic selection of freeview channels - many channels missing.
- Fridge was almost empty.
- Nowhere near Hyde Park, like the name suggests, it's actually closer to Kensington Gardens.
- No view.
- No facilities.
- Many of the room facilities listed were not actually present in the room.
- Service was mediocre.
- Everything looked and felt a bit "manky". Even our keycard had dirty sticky residue from what was once presumably a sticker. All adds up to form a pretty poor image.

Good:
- Short walk from Bayswater station, Queensway, Bayswater Road, and Westbourne Grove.
- There is a lift.
- Cleaning was done daily.
- Road outside is not especially busy, and the area is generally pretty quiet and seemed safe enough.

Room Tip: If you absolutely must stay here, I would specifically request a larger, recently renovated top floo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Scott K
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed in this hotel just one night. I expected a nice accommodation given the photos. The building was definitely renovated and rooms look nice, but the hallways had a funky smell, and the room was so small. I didnt feel comfortable in the area at night, travelling alone. I'm sure it was fine, but it wasnt the best area. During the day it was good for access to Bayswater tube station, and walking around was good.
The renovation looks nice, but little things like the tacky red floor mat in the bedroom - they looked dirty and well used. Same for the carpet in the hallway.

Room Tip: London is costly so its hard to find a place to stay at a decent price. read reviews. I felt led ast...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo