“Hidden Treasure”

Antonio's Ristorante
Reserve with OpenTable
Antonio's Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,295 of 22,674 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Bus 43, Walking ditance to Angel Tube and also Highbury Islington Tube
Description: Antonio’s Ristorante is a family owned Italian restaurant on Upper Street in Islington one of London restaurants most popular eating and drinking destinations. From the beginning the aim has been to provide good quality homemade Italian food and to create a memorable experience for our guests in a happy and cosy environment. At Antonio's we believe in informal but excellent service. When it’s comes to cookery Antonio who was born in England & father is from Calabria, South Italy believes in a good quality but basic concept with the minimum of fuss and the maximum of flavour.
“Hidden Treasure”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Top Italian family restaurant, have been there three times now within the last two years, twice with a party of work colleagues, who I also class as good friends and once with my wife.

It shows the power of 'Word & Mouth' when the standard & quality of all aspects of what is being passed on after being tried & tested; everyone returns again & again, to which they do with Antonio's, it's always packed on Friday's, Saturday's & Sunday's.

The food is perftecto!, the staff very friendly, professional and the atmosphere outside, inside & upstairs is quality, which is hard to find other than at a top quality establishment off of the 'beaten track', hidden away until your first visit, when you see the amount of regular customers eating there in their droves....

Absolutely top quality, small but very busy Italian restaurant. Key performance indicator:
our groups usually consist of nine to fifteen people, the last visit to Antonio's, three of our group returned with their families later, because they loved the food & everything else so much;
none lived locally: 1 in Bedford 1 in Aveley & 1 in Marlow!!!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank mickydiscoe9

London, United Kingdom
“Great friendly service and a nice, cosy interior”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I went to this restaurant with my partner last night and we both thought the service was very friendly and attentive. We made a booking in advance and arrived 20 minutes late so our table was already given away, but within no time they sorted another table for us and kindly gave us free proseco while we were waiting for our new table to be ready. In addition, when the waitress noticed that we didn't finish our bottle of wine at the end of our stay, she offered the lid to us so we could take it home. Very attentive!

The interior of the restaurant is very nice and cosy, and the light jazz music in the background makes for a nice atmosphere.

The food was good too, we had bread and shared the risotto ball (arrencini) as a starter and both went for the special Antonio's pizza as a main. We had the bottle of red house wine which was nice with the food and spend a total of 60 pounds.

All in all a nice night and we will definitely come back some time!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Levina-TravelAddict
London
“Warm Wine and tepid food”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

On the basis of the reviews of Tripadvisor, I choose this restaurant for my 50th birthday, which I now really regret.

Bank Holiday Monday, very few customers, yet we were squashed onto a small table. The food was only very medicore, staff were friendly enough, but really uninterested in the food and drink that they were serving. Our £40 bottle of white wine was served warm and my food was tepid, and some of the other dishes were awful; just not good enough.

I wish we had of chosen elsewhere, London has so many better restaurants. Never again and I will definitely would not recommend this place to anyone else.

We had a good evening amongst ourselves and we enjoyed ourselves in spite of Antonio not because of them.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank BBLLondon
London, United Kingdom
“Stil the best Italian in Islington”
Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

We went back on a Friday night. Although Upper street seems busy Antonios was surprisingly quiet. However as it started to fill up, I realised that this hidden gem is like a well kept secret. It is in a side alley so no passing trade, but soon the place was packed with a clientele of regulars and excited food hunters.
The service is fantastic. The food amazing and so authentic. The garlic mushrooms were from another planet. And the homemade pasta was sublime.

Go hunt it out. The reward will be yours!

4 Thank TheFrankster
London, England, United Kingdom
“An incredible experience!”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I have always loved Antonio’s, since it opened it never failed to impress with its originality and genuine love for quality and attention to the last details you may forget exist. I hadn’t been there for a few months, and of course expected to find exciting changes to the place and the menu, because i knew that the owner and the chefs there are never short of creativity or inspiration. Whenever I go there’s always an exciting new dish, some fantastic addition to the wine list or perhaps a jazz band upstairs to top it all off. However the other night Antonio’s truly surpassed itself!
The route to Antonio’s sets you up with that “film noir” like feel and by the time you walk through the doors and drink in the atmosphere, you’re ready to forget the outside world for a while. It’s becomes clear from the honest greeting at the door to the time you’re wished a “good night” that the staff are genuinely happy to see you and want you to get the best possible out of your night. They are all so incredibly attentive without being intrusive – a great skill!
This time my friend and I started with the new aperitif – The Mafia Martini, a very light tasting, refreshing drink, not overpowering and with a lovely aftertaste - a really nice start to the evening, especially in the summer. We carried on sipping it with our starter – a mixed Antipasto board and some crescentine (the option is not on the menu, but requests don’t seem to be a problem for these guys). The main course was truly spectacular! We had the Lobster done the Sardinian way, not only is it incredibly put together with the middle mixed in with tomatoes, basil, celery, etc., and arranged beautifully on the plate, the taste is absolutely brilliant. Again a great summer course, very fresh with a wonderful sauce on the side, made with (i don’t know exactly what) but the mustard and orange combination in it was fantastic! We had the Vermentino which Tony (the owner) said we simply must have with it and he was 100% right! We were both utterly in awe of the combination – savouring every bite. To add to all this I’m a very difficult person to cater for being gluten and dairy intolerant, but this combination from start to finish (my friend had more than her share of the crescentine) perfectly not only met my requirements, but was absolutely fantastic! Highly recommend it to all, as you can tell – I’m in love here! Thanks lots to Antonio’s and Tony for such a wonderful night!

• Visited July 2012