“A little slice of cake heaven.”

Patisserie Valerie - Knightsbridge
Ranked #83 of 306 Bakeries in London
Cuisines: Belgian, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

If you like cake, you'll like Patisserie Valerie. No question. I remember when there was just one branch, but such is the success of this chain that you can now find them all over London. The cakes are works of art, and oh so tasty. The pastries, together with the coffee are to die for.
This isn't somewhere to come for evening meal, but it's a fabulous place for afternoon tea and for sitting in with friends, whilst sampling beautiful cake!

Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Was there just ten minutes ago. Wanted a cup of tea and some pastry. When the woman turned to me at the entrance, where it says "Wait to be seated", I told her "for one". I should have read the first signs (her mimics), but I kept waiting. Another woman came up to me and asked "for two?". When I was answering "Just for one" she also made a funny face. But she came back and offered me one of two possible tables. And there I sat, 15 minutes! No response whatsoever from the staff. I looked at the one or the other waiter but they all totally ignored me. When I got up and started putting on my jacket the waiters jumped to my table... No, not to ask me what I want or apologizing for the long wait. No, they immediately yelled to the entrance "for two!".
So, apart from the overpriced menu I could study in the meanwhile, I don't understand the 12,5% service charge, they automatically add to your bill. What for?
This is the second ugly experience with PV in London. There won't be a third.
PS: when I left and told the first woman, who was obviously in charge, what I think and complained, she just shrugged her shoulders telling me, she couldn't care less.

2  Thank Gregor W
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This chain knows where to open its store!!! You are left with no choice but agree to bare their bad coffee and croissant when you are tired and need a seat. Park would be a better option, but it rains, so you're sometimes without options. BUT you should still never go in Patisserie Valerie. It is not the cleanest, but food is so bad. Couple of times, in different locations I tried it and it is not a location problem, but taste! and cost!

2  Thank Carla G
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My adult daughter, a friend and I recently stumbled on this gem while on a brisk walking tour in the Knightsbridge area. We were drawn to the mouthwatering window display and that, combined with grumbling tummies, resulted in us walking in. It was crowded and the staff member found us a free table but took it upon himself to find us a better, more spacious one, insisting he wanted us to be comfortable. The menu was extensive, with both sweet and savoury items. We chose three different items, including a cream tea and were delighted with the flourish and pride with which the items were served to us by our charming waiter. The food was delicious, amply portioned and reasonable priced and the staff were friendly and courteous. If you fancy a quick snack, or a more substantial meal in extremely pleasant surroundings in a lovely area of London, give this place a try.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband and I found this little delight, when we were at the V&A, and wanted a treat to take back to our room. We got 4 tarts.. apple, mixed fruit, strawberry, and pear. The crust and cream filling in the strawberry made you think they had used white chocolate in the mix. MMMMM. We also went twice for breakfast, and had florentine and eggs benedict. The toasted brioche underneath tasted home made and the hollandaise sauce was thick with the right amount of lemon. My chai tea latte put Starbucks to shame. Service is a bit harried and slow, but the food makes up for it.

Been to Patisserie Valerie - Knightsbridge? Share your experiences!