“Romantic Carriage Awaits!”

Ranked #12,940 of 23,718 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: South Kensington
Description: Classic cuisine with a contemporary twist, Michelin Star chef Daniel draws upon his unique experience and passion to share his love of food at 190 Queen's Gate at The Gore Hotel in Kensington. Daniel has created a unique menu showcasing his authentic French cuisine with a British twist and locally sourced ingredients. It's the perfect combination for The Gore. Fresh ingredients, rustic charm, classical; with a contemporary twist. 190 Queen's Gate is the ideal accompaniment to events at Royal Albert hall, the ultimate chic place to start or finish your evening. Pre or post theatre dining menus are available, and last orders are taken until 10.30Pm. Bookings are strongly suggested during key events at The Royal Albert Hall.
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Wow these guys know how to treat their customers, service impeccable, staff friendly and attentive, observant cannot do enough for you. The ambience, atmosphere, music and lighting all add up to make the experience so memorable. Beautiful setting, gorgeous food and drinks that are made with TLC. Loved it will be there again.

1  Thank Joanna B

Reviewed June 10, 2014

SERVICE: Despite being the only table in the restaurant we had to ask for more water and had to get up and serve our own wine from the communal ice bucket on the other side of the room. I asked for more toast for my pate, received cold bread. Waitress couldn't open a bottle of wine without struggle. Waiter couldn't understand English. Was eating from the pre fixe menu but only given a la carte dessert menu. Side plates left on the table throughout the entire meal despite being empty after starters. We had to move various dishes/plates/glasses to the table next to us as the waiters seemingly couldn't be bothered to clear them. They remained on the other table until we left (perhaps they are still there now?) Did not pay the service - they barely deserve minimum wage for the service we received, let alone anything else.

FOOD: Poor. My pan fried fish skin was slimy, not crisp and golden as it should have been. Despite clearly not spending enough time in the pan the chef had still somehow managed to lose some of the skin and tried to cover it up by placing one piece of fish on top of the other. Did they think I would not move it while I was eating and uncover their mistake?? Saffron cauliflower was raw cauliflower with yellow oil over. I like my veg al dente but it was literally raw, as if it had been blanched for 30 secs or so. Dessert was sickly sweet (coming from someone with a sweet tooth).

VALUE: Even with the pre theatre menu at £29 for 3 courses we felt like we had been mugged. Only a fool would opt for the a la carte.

OVERALL: Extremely poor service complimented by unskilled chefs. The decor is nice.....that's the best I can say I'm afraid.

2  Thank JayJayBee123
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We stayed at The Gore last weekend - although the room wasn't up to much we really enjoyed the food in the Bistro. I had the 3 course theatre supper for about £25 and my husband ate from the A La Carte menu. The puddings were particularly lovely.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Great location and atmosphere, but awful food for the price of it, and although staff were pleasant, you could tell their hearts were not in the job. Better restaurants at South Ken or Kensington High Street if you are visiting Royal Albert Hall.

1  Thank Jofrances1
Reviewed May 25, 2014

We ate here as a pre theatre meal, we had two of the set meal (circa £26 for two courses and I think about £29 for three) and one ordered off the al la carte.

The food was passable, crab beignets were nice but the accompanying apple chutney was a tiny blob. The veal pasta was ok but we were not offered black pepper and as such it was a little tasteless. The al la carte main of swordfish was nice but be warned that it doesn't really come with much so you may need to order the £3.50 sides to make it more of a meal.

Considering the food was ok I would have given this place a better review were it not for the rudeness of the staff. In somewhere that clearly fancies itself as being high end the service was awful. I have a real issue with staff who clear plates by taking the cutlery off and piling them all up. We were never asked if everything was ok, not offered black pepper with our pasta and generally felt like we were an inconvenience. It then makes a mockery when they add a 12% discretionary ( has anyone ever asked for it to be taken off?) charge. Wine was around the £30 mark so we were quickly facing a bill of over £100.

All in all if you want somewhere convenient for the Albert hall and aren't too fussed about being treated well then go here!

1  Thank CPBisthebest