“Great South Indian food”

Chettinad Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Chettinad Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #239 of 23,689 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Fitzrovia
Description: Welcome to Chettinad, the world of phenomenal South Indian cuisine. Chettinad is a small village in the Southern Tamil Nadu State of India. Chettinad is known for its culinary delicacies and now is one of the many reasons why people get to know Chettinad. We are a no fuss, no frill, stylish, laid back diner, who just speaks of truly and honest South Indian food in the heart of Central London. We only know how to cook-up good home comfort authentic food freshly made to order with understated approach to service. No meal is complete without traditional Dosa, lentil pancake eaten any time during the day. Well! Certainly it isn't just another Curry House!!! "Ideal place to try something new if you are a South Indian food virgin" Back home in Chettinad, your dishes are served on a huge fresh banana leaf, a disposable platter. Contact with your food is direct and tactile as you eat with your right hand, mixing wet into dry ingredients - a messy business for the uninitiated. In Chettinad Restaurant here, we want you to experience authentic original flavours, therefore you would find some of our dishes served with fresh banana leaf. Today we appreciate and respect that you have entrusted your palate to us, we will take great loving care and take your taste buds on a journey where each mouthful sings a new magical ''WOW'' note. Enjoy your meal at Chettinad- The Village Restaurant, where "QUALITY MEETS TRADIITON"
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My wife and I both enjoy Indian food and decided to book at Chettinad on our recent weekend trip to London. The interior is sobre and tastefully done; maybe a bit noisy but then again it was Friday night. Most imortantly:The food was excellent - great dosas - and the service very friendly. Highly recommended for authentic South Indian food!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,484)

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I just found the food here pretty awful although my husband's chicken curry was apparently OK. My lamb curry was tough, tough, tough and tasteless, with the flavours not balanced. It was difficult to select something for my daughter to eat. The tables were so tightly packed that we felt squished. We knew that this restaurant is well liked by many Trip Advisors, so it was disappointing to not enjoy our meal there.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Amazing flavours. Every dish different. Menu is not your normal fare so ask Jey or any of the waiters for advice, they will gladly give it.
We had a range for starters, main courses, side dishes and desserts. All superb.

Will return soon!

1  Thank TobyBaker
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Taff and I are both fans of Indian food, in particular curries. Having cooked a Chettinad curry the other week, as luck would have it Taff discovered that a Chettinad Restaurant existed in London, not far from where we had pre-booked our short break in London.

As the restaurant is on Percy Street, we had a quick look at the famous Tottenham Court Road, before sitting down to a lovely meal. I had the meal from the specials board, which was very much like a thali, with lots of little pots of wondrous food, and a dosa filled with potato. Taff had some lovely juicy prawns in a hot sweet sauce followed by a scrummy Chettinad chicken curry.

The atmosphere was lovely, and the staff were excellent. Sadly we ran out of time on our holiday, otherwise we would have gone again!

Pam

Reviewed July 20, 2013

After eating next door for a vegetarian Indian meal, I decided to come back to try Chettinad for a dosa. The dosa was pretty good, but could have had a little more flavor. I also had some bread and raita (both pretty good). The host wasn't particularly enthusiastic, but the server was average for the vibe of restaurants around here. The dosa was huge and the meal was quite pricey for a lunch, but I'm glad I tried it.

1  Thank BobcatTraveler04