“Delicious Southern Indian Food - a must try”

Chettinad Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Chettinad Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #227 of 22,827 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Fitzrovia
Description: Welcome to Chettinad, the world of phenomenal South Indian cuisine. Chettinad is a small village in the Southern Tamil Nadu State of India. Chettinad is known for its culinary delicacies and now is one of the many reasons why people get to know Chettinad. We are a no fuss, no frill, stylish, laid back diner, who just speaks of truly and honest South Indian food in the heart of Central London. We only know how to cook-up good home comfort authentic food freshly made to order with understated approach to service. No meal is complete without traditional Dosa, lentil pancake eaten any time during the day. Well! Certainly it isn't just another Curry House!!! "Ideal place to try something new if you are a South Indian food virgin" Back home in Chettinad, your dishes are served on a huge fresh banana leaf, a disposable platter. Contact with your food is direct and tactile as you eat with your right hand, mixing wet into dry ingredients - a messy business for the uninitiated. In Chettinad Restaurant here, we want you to experience authentic original flavours, therefore you would find some of our dishes served with fresh banana leaf. Today we appreciate and respect that you have entrusted your palate to us, we will take great loving care and take your taste buds on a journey where each mouthful sings a new magical ''WOW'' note. Enjoy your meal at Chettinad- The Village Restaurant, where "QUALITY MEETS TRADIITON"
London, United Kingdom
“Delicious Southern Indian Food - a must try”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

My wife and I visited this restaurant based on the many excellent reviews on Trip Advisor and we were not disappointed. Just North of Tottenham Court Road (about 7 mins walk north from the tube station) it's in a great location but off the busy main road.

The staff were friendly and attentive without being overbearing. I saw another review on here that said they didn't ask if people had enjoyed their meal but they did with us. They also asked if we needed any help with the menu and had we any questions about the food. One of the staff also came for a really nice chat at the end and bought out some of the fresh herbs and spices they use (I've never seen star anise before apart from on Masterchef so was really interesting!).

The food itself was delicious and delicately spiced. There is not a huge menu which is usually a good sign everything is prepared fresh to order. I had a medium lamb curry which was one of the best I have ever tried, beating anything I've eaten in Southall and Brick Lane. My wife had the chana (chick pea) masala which was really delicious and spicy without blowing your head off. The most pleasing aspect about the food was we were able to clean our plates as there was no residual oil in the bottom of the dishes (we recently ate in Southall and my wife had to leave the last of her dish due to a huge puddle of oil in the bottom, not nice). We left feeling full but without that uncomfortable feeling you usually get from the more greasy Indian cooking.

A meal for two with poppodoms, chutneys, a main each and another main to share, rice, breads, coffees and 4 alcoholic drinks came to just over £50 - excellent value in London. If you are a 'commercial curry' fan as my Asian friends call it (tikka masala, vinadloo etc) this isn't the place for you. If you want to try a genuine authentic curry that will set you taste buds tingling it's a must. We are already a planning our next visit!

3 Thank london_blue82

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
“Great Indian Food”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This restaurant was by far the best Indian food we've had. My girlfriend is still dreaming of her dish the day after. The service was great, the food was superb and we will always make a stop here when we come back!

Visited June 2013
3 Thank Stephen B
London, United Kingdom
“Hospitality at its best - give it a try!”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

There's not much to say other than we had a great time. If you like Indian type of food you would definitely enjoy Chettinad Restaurant!

I was there with my friends 2 weeks ago, we were 6 people and paid around £25 per person without alcohol. The main courses we ordered were really good, however the rice side dish was a bit dry and mango lassi was not the best I have to admit.

Chettinad is just one of those places you have to try.

The service is really good! A special thank you to Jay and the rest of the team for making our evening special. They are doing really good job. I'd definitely like to go back!

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank London1903
Carnoustie, United Kingdom
“Disappointing Meal & Drink”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I had looked into this restaurant before I went and was hopefull of a good meal.
To start with things went well, I was geeted with a smile and shown to my table. I ordered a Cobra looking forward to a chilled bottle of beer before my meal - but i got a bottle of Cobra fresh from a shelf not a fridge.
When my starter came, it was VERY good, and considering it was a very small menu, and I assumed cooked from fresh came quite quikly. Therefor I was looking forward to my main meal.(In the menu they make a big thing of having 23 spices in the curry)When it came I found the chicken - not soft and tender with spices that light up your mouth - But solid and tastless with a sauce that was overpowering in the taste of cloves.
During and after my meal(Despite the fact that the waiters were very pleasant)not once did they ask if I enjoyed my meal.
Overall an run of the mill curry when I was expecting so much more - AND PLEASE IF THE RESTAURANT READ THIS INVERST IN A FRIDGE.

Devizes, United Kingdom
“Slightly Disappointing - A Mixed Bag”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We visited this restaurant after doing a good deal of research, rather than just going in on the off-chance. It was Saturday night, so we had booked. The table was waiting. The restaurant was fairly busy but not full. Service was a little slow, but friendly & helpful.

The good points were: the starters, two of our main dishes, the two different rice dishes, the prices, the atmosphere.

The less-good points were: two of our lamb main dishes (house specialities) were disappointing. One was meant to be mild, one quite hot. However they were identically very hot & none of the four diners could tell them apart in any way. The heat was also quite odd - more like too much black pepper, rather than from chilli. The breads were quite poor. The chappatis were almost cold, stiff & like cardboard. The paratha was much better, but very flimsy, and there was very little of it. Finally, the toilets were incredibly small, and the smell was none too fresh.

So, overall, rather disappointing. Two of us thought it was "OK", two of us thought it fell a little short of that level.