Kensington Suite Hotel
$286
$278
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsholland roadcentral lineshort stayrooms are smallwestfieldvictoria
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Do not stay here! The street on which this hotel is located is probably the dumpiest street in Kensington, and one does not feel safe at night walking from the Tube station back to the hotel. The hotel is not kept up, and my husband and I felt we were staying in the middle of a third world country, not a quaint neighborhood in London! The hotel staff were not very friendly, and the place charges extra for every little thing, even after paying around $120 a night. The electric was not included, so you couldn't even flip on a light in the room without swiping your room key over a special "box" to charge you by the minute! It was around 18 pounds for only 30 minutes of wi-fi! The place does not seem safe either, as the front door to the hotel is unlocked and unlatched all hours of night and day! I definitely got homesick and depressed each night coming back to this hotel. There was about a three inch gap from the bottom of the door to the floor of our room, so every little noise was heard outside our room. There was a very LOUD group of guests staying on our floor and they came in at all hours of the night hollering and laughing and slamming doors, so we got terrible sleep. Hotel staff made no attempts to have the guests control their volume at night. The one nice thing I would say is that the maids cleaned our room nicely each day, but we will not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 9, 2014

The hotel is good for buses/trains. Having said that there's nothing left good to say about the place. Room very small, the breakfast was 'queue up at the toaster and make your own'. I was only in the hotel to sleep, a good job too! The manager is the worst I've come across, ignorant, no manners and very rude,and the staff are not much better. I will not be going back for that reason

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Bill L
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

Room 32.,Toilet seat moves so much, unsafe to sit on, window does not stay open for fresh air, cannot obtain BBC 1 - reported toilet seat situation at 1330hrs maintenance man arrived at 2054hrs after chasing twice!!! Also room (key-card) activator fell off as I went to insert card. Only 2 bath towels and 1 shared hand towel in this twin room.
Will not stay here again.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We spent 10 nights in this hotel and had quite a pleasent stay. The breakfast was all that we required consisting of juice, cereal, toast with jam or honey, cheese, hard boiled eggs and tea and coffee. We found the staff friendly, helpful and knowledgable about the local transport. Our towels were changed every day and the bed made up. The rooms are quite small and the bathroom while clean,was very pokey with a shower recess not made for the slightly overweight middle aged male.
There was no view from the window and it was held open by spray can but this did not bother us as we were only in the room to sleep. Location is excellent being only a short walk to Shepherds Bush and we always felt safe even though we had some very late nights. Only real complaint was when we booked an early morning taxi from the hotel after getting a rough quote of about 20 -25 euros to St Pancreas and the car that showed up was not a taxi but a private vehicle and the driver asked for 35 euros! Other than that is was a lovely area and we enjoyed our stay

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marie P
Reviewed March 25, 2014

First thing's first, I'm not very fussy. Neither is my girlfriend, with whom I shared 2 nights with at this hotel. I've stayed at many hostels throughout the world, all of which have been a more pleasant experience than this hotel.
In all honestly, first impressions weren't bad. The guy on reception was pleasant, even telling me that I look better now than I did on my driving license photo (maybe a back handed compliment but to be fair he was right). He gave us a knackered old key card and gave us directions to our room.
On entering the room the first thing we noticed was the smell. Pungent isn't the word. It stunk. It was like that smell you get in Spanish hotels when they have a faint smell of drains but it was concentrated into one tiny room. The window in the room was open, albeit broken. This still didn't get rid of the smell. It was one of those sash windows that gets held open by a bit of rope. The rope had snapped and the window was being held open with (ironically) a can of Air Wick jammed in the corner.
Anyway, we were only staying for 2 nights and decided we could put up with it, and it's an experience after all! We were there for a gig in the O2 academy, which is only a 5 minute walk, so location wise it doesn't get much better.
After the gig we got back to the hotel and decided to watch the TV for a while, but unfortunately it didn't work. I went to reception to ask if he could get it to work, but he told me that if I couldn't fix it myself he would sell me some Wi-Fi so I could use the internet on my phone. Not really the same but I decided to try and fix the television myself. So after fiddling around with the aerial cable (which had bare wires coming out of it) I managed to get the TV to work. I mustn't have done it properly though as the only channel that would really come through was Challenge TV. Still, better than nothing so we watched that for an hour. (If you're interested, it was a double bill of Celebrity Squares, the first episode had a woman reach the final who couldn't even name 9 vegetables. Then again, it was the early 90's.)
It was difficult to sleep at night because there is a cupboard that consists of kitchen appliances in the room. This includes a very noisy fridge. It sounded a bit like a plane landing in the distance, which would have been bearable if every now and again the planes fuselage hadn't opened to let the wheels out and made an unexpected loud noise.
The next morning, after we had slept in a bed that consisted of 2 thin sheets and a neon orange fur bedspread we decided to get the tube to Camden market. We were late getting there though as it took considerable effort to brave the smell in the bathroom, which set us back by about two hours. In fact (sorry for this) it smelled better after I had used the toilet. This also meant we missed breakfast, but judging by the other reviews, I don't think we missed much.
Another thing that struck me as strange was that the radiator in the room was on a 45 degree angle. I'm not sure why that was, there was just a part of the wall that seemed to slope down like a roof despite there not really being any reason to.
Anyway, I can't put this down as a terrible hotel, as it is very close to local stations and the O2 academy, which is what we stayed there for. But if you are looking for a nice relaxing hotel to stay in whilst you are in London, pick another one!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple