“Great budget hotel”

Ranked #705 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Plantation FL
“Great budget hotel”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Our friend whom we visited in London recommended this hotel. We are a family of four and usually book two rooms so price is important. We had two clean, quiet good sized rooms. The hotel provided some extras you don't normally find in a budget hotel such as an iron and coffee pot. As far as location I would describe the neighborhood as very ethnic and similar to Queens, New York if that helps. I felt very safe walking alone with my 9 year old daughter and bought things in the local shops. As far as getting around from the hotel we were able to reach all the sights we wanted to visit easily by bus or tube. My friend who lived locally was guiding us but since we were always on a bus or tube anyway it seemed fine. The hotel is about an 8 minute bus ride from Tower of London.

The front desk was very accommodating. I did notice they weren't warm and fuzzy but they were very polite and helpful. We ordered the English hotel breakfast for 10 pounds per person per day. I enjoyed being able to eat breakfast and return to the hotel room then shower since we were not totally adjusted to London time. The breakfast room was sunny and clean and they gave us a lot of food.

In summary if you are looking for a clean, convenient, budget hotel. Go for it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back or non street side. We had the view of a wall but it was very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank JeannePlantation

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Padua, Italy
Reviewed May 1, 2012

The location is a little bit unhappy. The area of London in not so good and far from any intresting place, also from undeground station (Elephant & Castle). Better to take a bus (53 drives you straight to Westminister).
Rooms are ok but breaksfast is no high-level. Wi-Fi is really expensive.
In general for the price they made me our stayinfg in London was ok but the sourrondings are not a good place for a walk, especially during night, anyway lot of police controls the main street (Old Kent Road).

Room Tip: Ask for a backside room (Lot of traffic in the main one during night too)
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Renzo D
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2012 via mobile

I was rather misled by the title of this hotel which claims to be near Tower Bridge. It isn't. It is on Old Kent Road - in a run down area of London with nearest Tube (Elephant and Castle) a long way away. I made use of the buses a lot which are good but nowhere near as good as the tube.

Staff were fine but tended towards silence and non-engagement.

The £10 English breakfast was appalling - a sea of cheap beans with a rather of bacon, two overdone eggs and a piece of fatty hash brown - admittedly nice toast. Poor service in the real fast room and not a patch on other hotels I have visited in London.

I went for the price just to see - I won't be going back.

Stayed March 2012
2 Thank PetePhillips
Katherine, Australia
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I paid £209 for 3 nights and was lucky enough to be upgraded on my stay. The location of the hotel is accessible to 24hr buses that take you on a 4-5min bus ride to the closest tube station (elephant & castle) which I found was very helpful. Although the area is not the greatest, I never felt in danger even when walking home at 11pm (although did get the odd stranger wanting a cigarette!). If your wanting to stay in central London I wouldn't recommend it, though I found that it didn't take me too long to get to the other side of town when needed. Just make sure when booking with this hotel you Google the location as it is not near Tower Bridge so if you check before hand it will save you disappointment in the future!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Rebekka W
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Easily missed (driven past it many times without seeing it) but for us wanting an hotel is this area it was ideal. We stayed 3 nights and found the room - although small - tidy, clean, quiet and comfortable. The hotel has a car park £15 per night which you must book in advance as it's not over large. We felt it was more a business destination as there are no attractions nearby and there we no families as guests that we saw. We could not find any eateries that appealed to us so we got fish and chips one night to eat in the room and ate further afield other nights. The Old Kent Road isn't really the place for an evening's stroll being a bit down market. We didn't have breakfast do can't comment.
But is was good value and it suited us fine.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank YeovilSS
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2012

Late review (sorry!) - I stayed here back in November for my friends 21st as a group of us were going to Ministry of Sound for a night out.The area is run down and the hotel in a good proximity to the club, however was quite far from the tube station so it was easier to take buses back in to central London rather than drag our suitcases and walk for 20 odd minutes.

We didn't spend much time in the area nor the hotel but the rooms were clean and comfortable with tea and coffee making facilities, large TV, a great hot power shower and large bathroom. Although it is situated on a busy road and our room was facing this, the windows kept all the noise out so we all got a good few hours sleep! Although the area seemed very run down I felt very safe in the hotel even though we were coming back in the early hours.

Would recommend if you need to be in the area for a night but don't expect too much for the price you pay for it....!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank EmilyAnna1990
Reviewed February 1, 2012

Stayed here for one night on business trip. Hotel is nice and clean and quite new about 3 years old. Room was very comfy with large widescreen tv. Rooms at the back were very quiet with very little noise. Parking at back is £15 per day. Surrounding area is not great and bit scruffy. Chinese attached to hotel served nice food though. Otherwise Its probably worth jumping on a bus. Would be a good base for a weekend trip to London.

• Stayed January 2012