“Not too bad at £60, rip-off if you have to pay more...”

Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington
Ranked #537 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 10, 2011

Stayed for one night in Feb based on a laterooms offer at £60ish for a standard double.
The decor was fine, obviously recently refreshed.

However, this is the smallest 'double' I have ever seen: there is less than half a foot between the bed and the window, and literally no space between the bed and the other wall. Approx half a meter between the foot of the bed and the wall with a flatscreen on it.

The bathroom was fine, but you can literally use the sink and the shower whilst sitting on the loo!

Possibly the strangest thing was the flight of stairs immediately behind the door! If you weren't concentrating, you would fall down the seven or so steps to the foot of the bed!

The staff were efficient and friendly.

The major issue here though, is that the following day it became clear that I had been eaten alive by bedbugs: the hotel really needs to get professional pest control in to deal with the problem asap.

Actually quite a shame, because a hotel at £60 in Paddington that doesn't look like a dump is hard to come by.....

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Nema D, General Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We value your feedback and it has been taken on board.

There are newer reviews for Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington

Reviewed February 3, 2011

The location is perfect and I really felt very wellcome.

One of the most important things to me is that I can feel confortable. And that not only includes the room itself (comfortable bed, cute deco...) but also the way my questions and needs are answerd. I must say i faced no problems during my stay, it was indeed very pleasant and I will definitly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank MariaRitaEumesma
SharathShetty, Duty Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting such a positive review. I am really pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and found the room comfortable at The Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington. My team strives very hard to deliver an excellent level of service and create a “home from home” environment.
I look forward to welcome you back soon...

Warm Regards,
Sharath Shetty.

Reviewed January 13, 2011

You can believe me when I say my experience at the Shaftesbury is extremely pleasant that I did not want to leave - albeit the fact that it also meant I did not want my holiday to end.

I have heard horror stories of the less known hotels of London, my only other stay in London being at the London Hilton Metropole. I expected the worst after reading the reviews, although the size of the rooms did not really matter to me. The cost seemed decent, location was amazing (Paddington!), and I assumed it was clean - judging from the pictures of course. Cleanliness is very important to me as I think it would be for everyone else.

I booked a two night stay, and found it very surprising how big our room was! I wasn't informed until I found out for myself that we were upgraded to a Twin Club Room - spacious check, microwave oven check, free WiFi check, clean check, and relaxing nights check. Mind you, there is no fridge, but for a two night stay, it didn't matter for us. I would not know how the rooms would have been if we were given the Deluxe Twin Room we originally booked for. But, the fact that they had upgraded us to a bigger room just shows that they are courteous - and judging from another review I read, most times, they will upgrade if you ask.

Checking in was not a hassle and the staff were generally very helpful (although I would definitely suggest that more information be handed to us when we check in, so there isn't the awkward need to have to call the reception constantly about heat, WiFi, etc. - but on another note one staff was very very helpful and encouraged us to call if anything so minus the awkwardness), always on call and will help you with anything.

I will definitely be staying here again (summer will be a breeze with the air conditioner) - consider me from now on, a regular guest.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank ndvine
SharathShetty, Duty Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking time to write such a detailed and honest review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and so did the team here at The Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington. Rest assured your comments have been taken on board and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,
Sharath Shetty

Reviewed January 4, 2011

I am extremely disappointed by this hotel, the pictures look very nice and clean, however the room was smaller than a prison cell. The walls are literally wrapped around the bed, I could not stay in that room as my girlfriend is clostrophobic (I myself would have become clostrophobic by just staying there for an hour). We cancelled our booking and went to a different hotel, as the manager refused to upgrade us to the bigger room size. He also tried to convince us that that size was standard for london, which it is not. I would strongly advise anyone NEVER to go to this hotel, nor to any other hotel part of the shaftsbury chain.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 2, 2011

We stayed here for NYE! A party of 4 in the room. Was a very nice room and hotel. Close to tube and great price. It was just a shame we missed breakfast due to being hungover!!!!! Defo stay again x

• Stayed: December 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments, It gives me great joy that we succeeded in making your stay a memorable one.

Comments like these motivates everyone at the Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington to go an extra mile.

On behalf of my team, I Once again thank you and look forward to welcoming you again.

Regards,

Reviewed December 29, 2010

Rooms were very clean & smelling fresh when i entered first time.

Bed was so comfortable, my jet lag was over in hours.

Toilet was quite big & very clean.

Service was top class.

Only thing is that all these does not come cheap, atleast not in London.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business

Regards,

Reviewed December 28, 2010

We stayed here for two nights after moving from Anor hotel in paddington Lancaster hotel. Shaftesbury rooms are overpriced n their rooms at 55 pounds w english breakfast for a deluxe double room is not worth it. The carpets r smelly

• Stayed: December 2010