“Definitely not 4 stars...”

Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington
Ranked #542 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 16, 2009

Great staff, friendly. Location is superb...near hyde park on the circle line. Breakfast was also satisfactory
But...
Rooms were tiny (I'm 5"3 and my knees touched the sink when i sat down in the bathroom). Tubs were a safety hazard. LIghts in the shower were so near my head and the shower head i was worried about electrocution.
Rooms were not very clean. The carpet looked as old as the building. Although I'm glad to report I did not get bitten by any insects. Ventilation was poor and for 4 stars this is inexcusable.
Whoever awarded the hotel their rating ought to be shot or tried for corruption.
They might tick everything on the list they provide but just imagine the worst possible quality for the facilities they have. Fresh flowers = almost dead, droppy carnation in a vase. (Not that fresh flowers are important)..but you get the idea how this applies to everything else.
We apparently had the biggest room, I shudder to think about the other rooms. Our colleague got a room with a flight of stairs just after his door which was a bad fall and lawsuit waiting to happen.
Bottom line: Don't stay there if you think this is a 4 star hotel. It is an okay 1 star and barely 2 star.
Save your money and go stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Nema D, General Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We value your feedback and it has been taken on board.

Reviewed November 14, 2009

Ideal location within a five minute walk of Paddington mainline station. Staff at reception were very helpful, polite and informative. The staff in the breakfast room were also pleasant and helpful. We booked this hotel through the Shaftesbury Hotel groups own website and took advantage of their book three nights get 15% discount. The double room including breakfast averaged out at £88 per night. The room was small but I have stayed in several different hotels in London and have yet to find a large room. I guess if you want to pay Ritz, Hilton prices you might get larger sized accommodation. Anyhow our room was very clean and the furnishing were quite modern, the bathroom was small but again very clean. As we were looking for somewhere to sleep as opposed to somewhere to spend our days this hotel suited us brilliantly. The breakfast was self service but had excellent choice to suit all tastes. The breakfast room was in the basement but had a light and airy feel to it. All in all if you are travelling from the south west of England by train this is a great place to stay as you do not need a taxi to take you to your hotel and the tube is on hand for travelling around London. Additionally the hotel has a luggage room where you can leave everything safely until you are ready to depart from the capital.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments, It gives me great joy that we succeeded in making your stay a memorable one.

Comments like these motivates everyone at the Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington to go an extra mile.

On behalf of my team, I Once again thank you and look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed November 8, 2009

We arrived at the london notting hill hotel in this chain to find after almost an hour waiting in reception that they had not allocated us a room. They transferred us to their sister hotel in Paddington (not the area of London we wanted to stay) however the room we were allocated was completely unsuitable. We booked for 2 adults and a child requiring a cot however the room was accessed via 8 steps inside the rooms front door (so it was almost impossible to get our pushchair in) then the room its self had a (extremely dirty including a used plaster stuck to it) travel cot unmade up. We tried to make this cot up however the room was too small to fit the cot in even when we moved out all movable furniture into the shower room. We contacted the manager who said this was the only room available and we "should be lucky to have this" as she had to "call around to get this" for us. By this time it was 10pm and we had gone to check in at the original hotel at 7pm. My daughter is 2years old and very tired as it was 3 hours past her bedtime. The manager gave us access to the hotel computer to find alternative accommodation but would not tell us any local hotel names outside the chain which she told us again had no other rooms. At this very late time in the day we could not find an alternative so we had no choice but to stay in the room offered as an alternative to the room we booked. This room was NOT suitable for us and was in no way "Deluxe" or a suitable alternative for the "just refurbished" room we had in our booking. The shower room was clean however the sink did not drain properly and their was no cold water. As their was no room for a cot and the bed was very small our daughter had to sleep on the floor. The room was very noisy both from outside as their was not adequate sound proofing/double glazing and their was also a lot of noise from other rooms, we could hear the tv of our neighbours very clearly and were woken by other guests loud arguments and door slamming. I fully realise that other guests actions are not the fault of the hotel however this made our stay even worse. The bed linen was stained, the fridge did not work, the light smoked and smelt of burning, their was a dead bug on the desk and an alive one crawling up the wall and I think their should have been a radiator cover but instead their was a broken and rough bit of wall and wood (not very safe for my daughter or us adults either)

In summary the hotel we booked had not allocated us a room, we had a long wait for a room, the alternative hotel was not in the area we wanted to stay in and its room was unsuitable, unclean and unsafe.

The staffs attitude was terrible but i guess they had heard the same complaints time and time again.

DO NOT BOOK THIS CHAIN OF HOTELS

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 9, 2009

This hotel is a great hotel if you need something decent that's close to Paddington. The staff is friendly, especially the day porter. The rooms are typical English small, although they upgradeded me to a larger single with a fridge and a microwave, which was nice. The lift is tiny and can fit about 2 people with bags or four with no bags. The sound proofing is a bit suspect, as you can hear people in the corridor if they speak, and my floor in front of the bathroom squeaked mercilessly and I wondered about the people underneath me when I came in at 1am.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo

Reviewed September 28, 2009

just 2min go the tube&train station. free internet :)

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed September 9, 2009

Please dont ever believe this has anything in common with a 4* hotel. This is a typical terrace hotel with very average facilities, similar service and TINY rooms. My bed is the full width of the room! The full width!! There is literally no room at the end of the bed before the wall! None! To get to the table, I have to climb over the bed. Never in all my years travelling have I ever seen anything like this. Do not stay here

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed August 29, 2009

I was very worried about stayin here as i read the reviews after i had booked,i booked a quad room for myself my partner and our kids age 11 and 18,our room was in the basement and it was lovely,it had a window and air con,it also had a double bed and queen size bed and a flat screen tv on the wall,our room was very spacious and it was also very clean,breakfast was also lovely with a variety of foods to choose from and it was an all u can eat buffet,the staff were helpfull and friendly and the location was great,overall this hotel was great value for money and i would deffo stay there again,if your booking a quad room ask for room 806 and see for yourself!!!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Nema D, General Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013