“This hotel is terrible”

Ranked #526 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Belfast, United Kingdom
“This hotel is terrible”
Reviewed September 9, 2009

Please dont ever believe this has anything in common with a 4* hotel. This is a typical terrace hotel with very average facilities, similar service and TINY rooms. My bed is the full width of the room! The full width!! There is literally no room at the end of the bed before the wall! None! To get to the table, I have to climb over the bed. Never in all my years travelling have I ever seen anything like this. Do not stay here

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Nema D, General Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We value your feedback and it has been taken on board.

Nema Da Silva

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
liverpool
Reviewed August 29, 2009

I was very worried about stayin here as i read the reviews after i had booked,i booked a quad room for myself my partner and our kids age 11 and 18,our room was in the basement and it was lovely,it had a window and air con,it also had a double bed and queen size bed and a flat screen tv on the wall,our room was very spacious and it was also very clean,breakfast was also lovely with a variety of foods to choose from and it was an all u can eat buffet,the staff were helpfull and friendly and the location was great,overall this hotel was great value for money and i would deffo stay there again,if your booking a quad room ask for room 806 and see for yourself!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Nema D, General Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments, It gives me great joy that we succeeded in making your stay a memorable one.

Comments like these motivates everyone at the Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington to go an extra mile.

On behalf of my team, I Once again thank you and look forward to welcoming you again.

Regards,

Dorchester
Reviewed August 10, 2009

Where do you start with this place??? I am still fuming from the worst experience and service i have ever come across in any hotel in London and I've been around a few!

Firstly make no mistakes, this is NOT a 4 star hotel, it would barely get a 3 star based on cleaniness but take the size of rooms and staff attitute in account and it quickly drops down to barely a 1 star for me.

Arrived to check in at 9pm after a long days work and travelling and what you expect from a 4 star hotel costing almost £200 per night is to be swiftly checked in and have a comfortable room to put your head down. Oh no... not in this place! There were 2 receptionists and there were 2 other guests who were trying to check in when we arrived but the hotel could not find their reservation so we were asked to TAKE A SEAT while they sorted that out even though there were 2 at reception and one of the two could have checked us in. 15 minutes later and still no sign of anything being sorted out. The two gentlemen in front of me were being messed about big time, they were asked to pay again for a pre-paid reservation and had to deal with the now almost famous rude and argumentative receptionist as mentioned in previous reviews. 20 minutes gone, then 25 and we are still on the sofa... with half an hour gone i couldn't take any longer and walked up to them again only to be met with the rudest reply ever "I am dealing with another customer, you just have to wait", not even an apology for the wait. Asked why the second receptionist could not check us in since he did not seem to be doing anything but no... why would he be bothered? The attitute of the staff was truly unbelievable, extraordinarily bad... they could not have made a guest feel so unwelcomed even if they tried!

To cut a very very long story short, after 45 minutes they finally called us to check us in and suprise suprise... they couldn't find my reservation either! Again no apologies, and apparently it was not even their fault, it was "central reservations" that messed it up. Great! so we get the worst service ever, not even a tiny apology for the wait and the messing about and it is not even their fault! I really lost it when the receptionist asked us to take a seat again until she typed in using one finger all the information of the booking and checked with central reservations and blah blah blah... this was the biggest farce of a hotel reception i had ever seen. The rudeness of the lady who was supposedly checkingus in was unbelievable, has a manager or owner never seen the way this woman treats their customers? If she was working for me and treated gusts this way she would've been out of the door yesterday...

it was almost 10:30pm, a whole 90 minutes since we first walked through the front door that we finally got the room key from a guy who appeared to had just arrived and who was wearing his namebadge upside down. We were given the keys with these exact words: "if you don't like the room you can ask the morning shift to change you tomorrow". I was dreading what would lie behind the door of the room... how can anyone send of a customer to their 4 star hotel room with those words? Unreal!

Off to the room... it was in the basement, not a good start but i did not mind too much about that, as long as it was comfortable and quiet it would do nicely for my 2 night stay. But it was not. Tiny tiny tiny with a single bed and barely room to move around it. The width of the room was no more than 4 feet at best! How are they even allowed to advertise this place as a 4 star is unknown to me. Look out of the window and not only was it in the basement, someone thought it would be a good ideat to install 6 huge airconditioning units, suspended at ground floor level above the room window, blocking any hint of natural light that we may had seen the morning after and leaving you to go to sleep with the sound of the aircondition units in your room. Needless to say i did not wait until the day after, walked straight out of the room and back uo to reception well prepared to just check-out and move to another hotel if my request for another room was turned down.

Luckily for all concerned, they did not argue with me much and they "upgraded" me to a "club room" on the first floor. Much better than the rubbish i was first allocated but still nowhere near the level expected when paying this sort of money for the night. The double bed was not even a proper double, only a 4ft one, the TV was very stupidly placed on the side wall next to your pillows so in effect you had no chance of watching it from bed and as there is simply nowhere else in the room to sit than the bed it did not make any sense at all. The room was again very very small, even smaller than the rooms at the likes of the 3 star Stylotel that i have also reviewd which for less than half the price of this place offers a lot more, bigger rooms and above all friendly service.

It was now 11:15pm and i finally had a room where i could at least sleep for a few hours before checkign out early the next morning and heading for the hilton Paddington nearby.

I would never ever recommend this lace, not even to my worst enemy, even they don't deserve to be put through this! Terrible place, Terrible service and a general contempt aganst their guests who they just see as cash cows rather than valued customers. Avoid, Avoid, Avoid!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Nema Da Silva

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

London
Reviewed July 23, 2009

I seriously don't know how this hotel got it's 4 star rating. It took about 15 minutes to check in, as the receptionist was training a junior, who kept swearing every time he got something wrong - not a good start guys!

My double room was the size of a broom cupboard, in the basement. It was noisy, especially at 6am, cramped, both taps produced piping hot water but no cold, the lights kept flicking on and off and the final straw was when the hairdryer overheated and cut out, just before an important business meeting. The receptionist's reaction was totally non commital when I reported it. All the other aspects I could have just about lived with, but her reaction was "tell someone who cares" which is what prompted me to write.

Would definitely not recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank MaldivianLondon

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed July 11, 2009

Knowing nothing about the hotel I got a decent rate for london and stayed 4 nights at the Shaftesbury Premier.
I understood, it's London, the room is going to be small. And it was, but the bathroom was efficiently designed and the bed was comfortable. I did have to walk up to my room but that wasn't a chore.
I was surprised that in-room internet was free! And a small coffee maker! FREE! Really!
The TV was small but again proportional to the size of the room.
The hotel is just around the block from Paddington station which makes getting around town easy on the subway.
I noticed some people did have problems with the staff as I was checking in but I had no problem at all and had no problem with my stay.
All in all not a bad choice in London. I would stay again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo

London
Reviewed July 11, 2009

Good location. Forget about room service, they don't even deliver water.Rememebr to bring an oxygen tank as the rooms are so tiny that you cant even breathe. receptionists are very rude and depressing.location is excellent, only 2 mins walk to padding tube station, but a part from that the hotel is absolutely horrible.laundry service was good though.breakfast? never tried. not a 4* hotel AT ALL!! no way this is a 4*!!no way!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank HotelSpye

Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2009

I have never stayed in such a dreadful place. Although this was some time ago now, I am not surprised to see that reviews reflect my experience. As I have just joined Trip Adviser I thought it would be helpful to other potential guests and management.
The scene was set when we arrived. Although we were very tired and hot having just arrived from Paris the receptionist totally ignored us and seemed to enjoy extending a phone call and then taking another! She did not apologise or even smile and her attitude was disgusting, arrogant and surly . I complained about her the next morning but do not feel this was taken seriously or would be dealt with (obviously not - seeing the later reviews) I hope they have replaced her but it seems they have by others of a similar ilk.
The room was depressing, small and dark and grubby with no air conditioning or fan. The bathroom was tiny. I could not wait to leave.
I can't remember the breakfast still too depressed about the "service" and room.
DON'T STAY HERE. It is in no way a 4* hotel and in fact should have none at all.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple