“Business trip”

The Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington
Ranked #554 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 20, 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Nema D, General Manager at The Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

Write a ReviewReviews (1,469)

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Travelling by plan, the hotel is situated very close to Paddington Station and Tube. The staff is very friendly and attend to all matters immediately. Travelling with a kid, the clubroom with twin beds was a very good choice, nice, clean and with complimentary tea, coffee and biscuits, shampoo, lotion etc.

Room Tip: Clubroom is very good, rooms facing backjard are very, very quiet
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments, It gives me great joy that we succeeded in making your stay a memorable one.

Comments like these motivates everyone at the Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington to go an extra mile.

On behalf of my team, I Once again thank you and look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Arrived late and when settling in room discovered our tv was not working and bed mattress dipping on one side. Called front desk to address tv issue and they came to room immediately. Unfortunately, they were unable to fix problem or change our room as hotel was fully booked. Next morning, however, we were told we would be moved to another room and after a full day touring the city, we arrived back at the hotel to a new room with a comfortable bed and working tv. Every staff member we encountered during our three day stay was friendly and helpful, rooms are clean and the location offers easy access to Heathrow express, as well as many popular London sights. We will return!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lesley C

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Having stayed in London several times in different hotels this was a good place to stay. Access to Paddington and the tube system was a very short walk away. I had booked a single room and a twin room. We arrived very early in the day and gave our bags to the reception staff who issued us with a ticket to collect later in the day. When we returned we were told that there was no twin room available so we ended up with three single rooms, although this would have cost more we were not charged any extra however it did leave my mum and sister in separate rooms which they were not overly happy with. My single room was on the ground floor, no view at all and right next to my window/bed were 6 air conditioning units which were going on and off all night, thankfully not too bad as it was cold im sure if it had been the summer it would have been on a lot more! For the price of the room I would have expected slightly more space, could just about turn around! There was no remote for the TV however a quick trip to reception and this was fixed. The bed was good and I slept well in it. Overall I would return after all not much time in London is spent in the hotel room!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving your review on this forum. All comments and opinions are highly valued as they help us improve our services.

I am sorry to learn that the design of our bedrooms, and also the Twin rooms were not available as reserved originally.

I hope you decide to give us a second chance and decide to return in a near future.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I enjoy staying in smaller hotels (vs. the big chains) when travelling abroad. Unfortunately I signed up for Tripadvisor years too late and am just starting to review now.

I stayed at the Shaftesbury for proximity to Paddington station. I was apprehensive due to the other reviews I read of the place. I found both good and bad (bad may be a strong word).

Like many others, I got stuck in the basement. I expected this to happen after booking a single room for only one night on the internet. LOL. I felt like I was in a cave...it is an older building, and so they've had to pack the rooms into a smaller space. That said, the room was comfy, and I was only there for one night.

The good: the front desk staff was friendly, and did their best to accommodate and help. The room was clean, the bathroom was modernized (and clean), and the bed was comfortable. I had a great sleep. When I needed something, the front desk had it taken care of right away. I liked that I was able to check out at noon (vs. 11am standard here in North America).

Things that weren't as good: price was a little steep for the room I received...it was tiny, and when I went to iron a shirt, I had no room to walk once the ironing board was out (literally no room). Staff originally gave me a key to a room with someone in it. I walked in...and promptly out. Attention to detail is important. If that had been my room with a laptop or an ipad sitting on the desk, would that laptop still be there upon my return?? One of my towels (in shower) was not very clean looking, and rather than being washed again, should have been thrown out. I'm not a germaphobe...but it looked pretty used.

Would I stay here again? Absolutely. While there were some negatives, the price wasn't too bad given the location, and the staff tried their best. The bed was comfy, and I don't plan on spending my time sitting in my room. So ya, I would recommend it if you're not too picky about staying in a smaller room.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank BGBedm
Nema D, General Manager at The Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to learn that the our Reception Staff gave the same room key to someone else. Iron/Boards are on request.

We hope you decide to give us a second chance and decide to return in a near future.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Visited London for a couple of days touring and was looking for economical accommodation near Paddington station.

Location was great, 5 minute walk from the station. Staff were friendly.

It was a typical London hotel. We booked a double room. Room and bathroom were very clean. Bed was comfortable.

Room size was good for 2 with a couple of cases.

Bathroom was VERY small, you could almost shower, go to the toilet and brush you teeth without taking a step (slight exaggeration ... 1 step would do it) All however perfectly functional. Shower however might be a bit of a squeeze if your much over 6ft tall.

Given we were out touring all day, this was a perfectly practical accommodation at a good price (for London)

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bill K
Nema D, General Manager at The Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments, we have taken them on board.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Ok, should you not know who they are, the Borrowers are a family of tiny people who live secretly in the walls and floors of an English house in a children's story. The architects of room 505 at the Shaftesbury Premier must of had this size of customer in mind, when they designed the bathroom.Read on...

To focus on the positives, the room was modern,clean and had a comfy bed and nice bedding. It was £140 for a single night's stay with breakfast (which was pleasant enough) and the staff were very, very attentive. I did think the fee was quite high, but I rarely stay in London so perhaps this is quite typical.

The room was quite small but certainly adequate and nicely decorated. However, a major issue of such a small room was the positioning of the tv on the wall to your right hand side.It was a nice large LG TV, but it was positioned so far down the room, not being on an extendible arm, it was actually impossible to watch it whilst lying on the bed. The only was to do it was to turn upside down and lie with your head at the foot end!

The room also had a modern bathroom.But here in lies the problem (and it is a big one) . I am 6ft 2 but by no means a giant or 'super sized'. The wall hung WC was sandwiched between a retaining wall and the shower enclosure.The gap was so tight, that with the design of the toilet it was physically impossible the reach behind you and use toilet paper whilst sitting on the loo!! I kid you not, you simply couldn't use the toilet roll and had to actually get off the toilet and move into the bathroom before you could use the 'Andrex'!

I therefore had no option but to have a shower once I had used the toilet, which is clearly completely unacceptable. For that reason, I wouldn't stay again, but purely for that reason only, so I do hope the management of the hotel look into this for the comfort and cleanliness of other guests

Room Tip: Take some moist toilet tissue,you're gonna need it
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We value your feedback and it has been taken on board.

Kind Regards