“Above expectations”

Ranked #528 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Hong Kong, China
“Above expectations”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I picked Shaftesbury Premier for its location near Paddington and the good rates. I didn't have high expectations before I checked in but did take the advise from Tripadvisor to join the Club online before I booked the room.
Overall, I had a pleasant stay there for 3 nights during the hottest days in August. The staff at the front desk and restaurant was very friendly and helpful at all times. I was given a room way before check-in time. Breakfast was not extravagant like those at international chains but was nice and adequate with piping hot tea served in a pot. Bacon was Canadian Back. No wifi in the room but there was internet connection. There were 2 computers on the basement floor for guests. Air-cond, shower, kettle, iron, all worked.
The room was indeed small (like business hotels in Japan) and its layout pretty odd. But I have to say that the rooms at Hilton are not that much bigger and the layout not that more conventional. The lift was tiny so it would be awkward if one had huge suitcases.
There was a 'mind the steps' plaque on the room door. I thought it meant a higher threshold and it turned out to be literally a flight of 3 steps at the other side of the door. I almost fell into the room with my bags. I found this pretty amusing.
I would recommend this hotel to those who prefer the Paddington area and travel light.

Room Tip: If you have heavy/large bags, perhaps you want to request a room that does not have 'stairs'...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Wai A
Swapnil W, Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Wai,

Thank you for your positive & kind words about the hotel facilities and the services offered by my team. It gives me great joy that we succeeded in making your stay a memorable one.

I have personally noted your feedback regarding the room size and lay out, and will ensure the same is addressed. We look forward to welcoming you again soon and hope to continue being your hotel of choice while in London.

Swapnil Waghe.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 5, 2013

After reading reviews on trip advisor I paid extra to book a Club Room given I was going to be here for 9 nights. Polite and efficient staff meant an easy and quick check it, but I was originally given a very small and pokey room on the ground floor (Room 010 I think) - I told reception and while they assured me this was a club room I made a point that it didn't even come close to matching the "spacious" description of a "club room" and was advised they would move me to a larger room the following morning (even though I told them immediately, hadn't unpacked, and would have preferred to have been moved straight away). I was moved to the fourth floor (Room 418) which was nice enough, and a good size with a split king bed that was quite soft, and a clean but tiny bathroom (though the bathroom did have a deep bath with good water pressure).
It's clearly an older hotel, with threadbare small towels, flaking paint, and chipped wood furnishings, but these are all minor insignificant details that can be overlooked.
The room was missing a number of items that I had to request from reception (including an internet cable, bath plug/stopper, room service menu, iron and ironing board), which were provided promptly and without fuss.
However, there was no bar fridge (despite this being listed in "club room" amenities on the web site), no crockery/cutlery, and the fruit bowl and drinks and hot chocolate sachets (which are meant to be "replenished daily" according to the website) were not replaced at any point during my 9 nights stay, despite informing reception of this and being told they weren't sure what the policy was and would have to get back to me (to which I never got a straight answer and ended up giving up and buying my own fruit - though I really missed having a bar fridge to keep my drinks cold and store any other snack/breakfast food that I had originally intended to buy). Also the robe and slippers (meant to be provided in a club room) were supplied in the first, but not transferred to the second (even though I hadn't used them originally).
The desk to work on is tiny (big enough to squeeze on a laptop and small notepad) which made it inconvenient considering my stay was for business. What really killed my stay though was the internet. The connection was a nightmare as it dropped out constantly (even when connected with a cable). When working it was reasonably fast, but the frequency and randomness with which it dropped in and out made it impossible to work online (let alone skype).
The guestbook was not always straight forward (even finding the number for reception was difficult) and it would have been good to include some local area information.
The hotel and area are quite noisy - there was construction outside, and you could hear people in the hall and coming up and down the stairs, but it's not unbearable and didn't interrupt my sleep too much.
Whatever you do, DO NOT order room service. I made the mistake of doing this one night when I was too tired to go out - the "chef's soup of the day" (chicken) tasted like it was out a very old tin can, the side of toast was two pieces of stale wholemeal bread that was inedible (and no butter was supplied), and the wedges were soggy. All this cost fifteen pounds (which is a total outrage), took almost an hour to be delivered, and I was barely edible.
Check out was easy, and they did store my luggage for me until later the evening, which was convenient, though they charged a fee for doing so.
Overall - stay somewhere else. I expect you'll be able to get somewhere nicer and cheaper in just as good a location than this.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank ESC121
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your constructive feedback regarding the hotel and the services offered.

I have personally noted down your feedback regarding the quality of inconsistent service by our team during your stay,

I assure you that suitable corrective measures shall be taken with immediate effect to rectify it.

On your next visit do let our team know and we shall offer the same to you. Your valuable suggestions will definitely help us address areas of concern and will most certainly help us restructure and synergize the processes to the levels expected.Looking forward to your continued patronage.

Swapnil Waghe

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is a decent London hotel, maybe a bit overpriced. The location is excellent with a short walk to Paddington station. Also good selection of bars, restaurants and take aways near. The family room was big by London standards and it had everything you would want from the room so no complaints there. The check in was pretty busy and chaotic so please have patience doing it. The biggest fault was the breakfast, it was terrible. Cold and the choice of food was bad and also lack of it.

Room Tip: Go for room only rate avoid getting up for breakfast
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank johnnybravo1121
Swapnil W, Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed your stay and we are really sorry to hear that you didnt enjoy the breakfast, I have shared your feedback with my entire food and beverage team including the Chef.

We hope you will give us an opportunity soon in the near future.

We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you again at the Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington.

Milpitas, California
Reviewed July 31, 2013

The best thing about this hotel is its proximity to Paddington station. This is a basic, no frills hotel that has its share of problems that you expect to find in an older building. The room was uncomfortably small for two people with luggage. Our room had the tiniest shower we have ever experienced in 40 years of international travel. The entire 5th floor smelled pretty bad. Wallpaper and carpeting in sad shape. The four star rating must be on a scale of 1 -10. We considered checking out and going back to the hotel we stayed in last year, but we were just too tired.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out to share with us about your recent visit to our hotel.

I have noted your feedback regarding the inconvenience caused and will give them a serious consideration.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon and hope to continue being your hotel of choice while you are in London.

Turku, Finland
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We were planning to stay in another Shaftesbury hotel and we were moved here. Everything turned out great and our rooms were good (compared to London standards which are lower than in our country). Location was very near to Paddington station which was great. Also Hyde Park is really close and Oxford Street still in walking distance.

We are family of five and we reserved two rooms and room for three was club room which was much better equipped. Hotel is silent and staff quite helpful. We were happy with our stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Savu28
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive & kind words about the hotel services and the location.

The satisfaction of our guests is of great importance and I hope we have the opportunity to offer you our best again.

On behalf of my team, I Once again thank you and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Espoo, Finland
Reviewed July 29, 2013

They have rooms for one person wich is nice since you usually have to pay for the double room when travelling alone. Room was of course quite small, but it was very nice... it had a good new bathroom and a good bed. Wifi worked only in the lobby wich was a littel bit funny. Also the personnel was not that helpfull and most of the time talked with each other in their own language. But the location was very good, just couple of blocks from the Paddington station... and busses came even closer.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank AnnikkiP
Dear Guest,

We regret the inconvenience caused to you regarding Wi-Fi not working in the rooms and only in the lobby as we are in the process fixing Wi-Fi in all the rooms.

I hope that you will give us an opportunity soon in the near future to enhance your overall experience in Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington.

Swpnil Waghe.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 24, 2013

The hotel is fine for a short stay in London. Considering its accessibility to Paddington station as I was taking the heathrow express, the price is fair. Overall, it is a no frills hotel. The room was really small, it would have been much worse if I had opted for a lowest tier room. If you are looking for convenience to Paddington, this hotel does the job. The breakfast was sufficient with its spread. Wi-Fi signal strength is extremely weak in the room or non-existent.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out to share with us about your recent visit to our hotel, In regards to the room size i would personally advise you to book club rooms in future and i can assure you that you will have no complaints in future.

Due to these victorian buildings the room size are not that great and we are in process to establish Wi-Fi in all our rooms.

May I request you to consider this as an aberration not reflective of our regular service standards and hope that you will give us an opportunity soon in the near future to enhance your overall experience in Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington.