“Dreadful experience”

Ranked #479 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Bristol
“Dreadful experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We arrived at the hotel relatively late at night, although we had called ahead to tell them our arrival time and they said this was fine. we were greeted by receptionists rudely as we were informed that our room was no longer available due to some issues with cigarette smoke. The staff then told us that they would transfer us to their sister hotel in notting hill and that they would arrange a taxi for us as well as complimentary breakfast.

This would've been fine, but being tired after a long flight we had to wait for what seemed like ages for the hotel to sort itself out and arrange our transfer.

Once transferred to their sister room we were placed in a small double in the basement. The hotel was really loud, the bed really small, the staff also rude and generally not what we expected.

The only redeeming thing was the breakfast which was good.

I booked this through Expedia and beginning to regret using Expedia as this is the 2nd time in 6 months that something like this has happened to me.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bristolbakedalaska
Swapnil W, Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

I do not have enough words to apologize for the inconvenience faced that your reservation was not honoured at Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington.

We understand the stress and frustration you would have experienced for the reallocation from one property to another.

We duly apologize about not informing you prior to your arrival. We do understand that you may have been very upset with this incident and we sincerely apologize for all the trouble.

A i cannot turn back the time and rectify the inconvenience caused to you, if you wish to make a booking in future Please give me a call if possible on 0207 723 3434 and i will offer you the best discounted rate with a free upgrade to our Club rooms.

We do hope you will accept our offer as we really look forward to serving you once again.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Swapnil Waghe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Bitterly disappointed with all aspects of my dealings with this hotel. We had no warning that there was a problem with the room. We arrived late and proceeded to check in. After much filling in of paperwork despite having pre-paid, we were told that there were no rooms due to a power failure and we would be relocated via a 'free' taxi to Earls Court. The staff were rude and tried to make us feel like they would be doing us a favour with the 'free' taxi and then a 'free' cancellation! We refused to be relocated as needed to be in Paddington. Almost 40 minutes later, we were sent to a hotel five minutes away where, as we could hear very clearly, many other guests experienced the same - only they warranted a free breakfast! It was the worst customer service of my life and I implore anyone thinking of booking this to avoid at all costs.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Daytoday15
Dear Guest,

We duly apologise about not informing you prior to your arrival. We do understand that you may have been very upset with this transfer and we sincerely apologize for all the inconvenience.

We strive each day to ensure that our guests experience an excellent service and it disappoints us that in this instance we failed to do so. On the basis of your feedback we will take steps to ensure that the errors are not repeated and flaws rectified. We truly feel responsible for the unsatisfactory visit of yours and therefore would like to make it up for the unpleasant experience you had.

I do not have enough words to apologize but if you please give our customer service a second chance to make it up that would be great, please call us on 0207 723 3434 and i would like to speak to you personally regarding this review.

Swapnil Waghe

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Birmingham UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Be very careful about this hotel - they overbook all the time and sercvice is dreadful

Turned up on the 19th Feb 2013 for a 2 night business trip in London - hotel was booked via Egencia.

Having completed the registration process and and my debit card details taken, the receptionship then announced that due to "problems" no room was available and they have arranged a room in an alternative hotel in Earls Court.

I told the receptionship that this was unacceptable and that they would either have to find me a rooms in their Hyde Park or Notting Hill Hotels (which I knew were ok and in the area) or I would have to cancel and they would have to refund Egencia.

After some discussions and searching, she then announced that she was able to find a club room that was free that I could have. After being given the key I then went to the room only to find a couple in the bed! On going back to reception they couldn't understand why the room was occupied but eventually announced that they had no rooms.

I then had to call the emergency out of hours number who cancelled the hotel at what shoudl have been no charge and managed to book me into the Euston Thistle.

However, having checked my bank statement 2 days later I found that the Hotel had charged me £89.10 for a late cancellation fee. I am still trying to get my money back

I should add that there were at least 10 other guests that night who had booked but had to stay in alternative hotels.

Don't risk it - I shal certainly never stay at this chain of hotels again

Room Tip: Don't bother staying here
2 Thank KenR-UK
Swapnil W, Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

I do not have enough words to apologize for the inconvenience faced.I am deeply saddened that your reservation was not honoured at Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

This was the worst hotel experience of my ENTIRE life - and I have traveled all over the world.

While physically this is a lovely hotel with a great location, you MUST be careful about staying here if your travel plans are not flexible. This hotel does not always honor researvations that have been confirmed AND paid for. You will find yourself - at best - sent to another hotel that YOU will have to pay for despite having already paid for the original reservation; at worst - they set you adrift to find accommodation on your own and leave it up to you to get your money back from the original reservation.

This is exactly what happened to 5 of us, all of whom had confirmed and paid for reservations. We arrived and were told that due to a maintenance issue they had no rooms for us. While this in and of itself wasn't the issue - such things cannot be helped - it was the fact that we were not offered anything by way of support or compensation for being ejected from the hotel. At 1000 at night 5 guests were told 'sorry, no rooms, not our fault.' When we rejected this and told them that they needed to find us rooms elsewhere - they tried to send us to a sister hotel at Heathrow Airport, 45 mins away and a 100 pound cab ride roundtrip. Of course this was unacceptable.

Finally, after almost 2 hours of denying any responsiblity or support, they 'found' a hotel that was 'close by' but each guest would be expected to pay the full cost of the night (much more than what we paid at the Shaftesbury) and would have to try and get the refunds back for the cancelled reservations ourselves. However, they assured us we would have the same ammenities that we had paid for at this new hotel (queen size, free wifi, and breakfast).

This 'close by' hotel was a 20 min cab ride away, and didn't have a clue we were coming. We were not offered any of services that the Shaftesbury staff assured us we would have and we were put in tiny little rooms with no work space and single beds that were essentially 'roll-away' cots fixed in place. By this point it was 1230 in the morning; this for business travelers arriving in London to attend meetings at 8am.

Moral of the story - Reservation staff are incompetent, they have no customer care and when they make mistakes it becomes your problem. They will lie to your face just to get rid of you.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here - find some other hotel. The headache isn't worth it.
1 Thank Michelle A
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback that you have given to us regarding your stay.

We are embarrassed and most of all deeply sorry for not being able to accommodate you in the property you booked originally. We do realise how inconvenient it must have been for you to go through this unpleasant situation at an odd hour.

I have informed this incident to our senior management as well so these things are not repeated by our reservations department.

If you wish to book a room in future please get in touch with me on 02077233434 and i wiil offer you a discount on the best available rate and give you a free upgrade to our Club rooms with all club room amenities.

We do hope you will accept our offer as we will appreciate the opportunity to regain your trust in the Shaftesbury Group.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

We as a senior citizen checked this hotel before booking...rates were really good, swiftly checked in, was worried with the reallocation but we got spacious room with bath which we specified while making the booking..no issues whatsoever good service and healthy breakfast. We liked it very much and would return on my 50th anniversary.

• Stayed February 2013
Swapnil W, Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback and thank you for staying with us in Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington.

I am delighted to know that you very much enjoyed your experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you also for your comments where you have said staff being helpful, they are indeed warm, helpful and they will try their utmost to assist you with anything you need.

Please do come back to stay with us the next time, we will love to see you again and help you to create some unforgettable memories.

I hope you will return to see us soon again and in the meantime we send you our best wishes for a wonderful year ahead.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Have stayed at this hotel on various occasions. The rooms are always basic. As a member of the Shaftsbury group am always entitled to a better room class, but twice I have been refused due to non-availabilty. A short walk to the Paddington tube station and the airport express. If you get a good price, worth a stay. Breakfast is pretty decent.

Room Tip: the fire doors may noise and would disturb light sleepers. In that case, opt for rooms away from the...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback given to us, This is to inform you that as you are a part of our premier club rewards it clearly states that free upgrade is subject to availability.

Regarding room sizes as you must be aware due to these Victorian buildings we can hardly do any changes.

Thank you for good comments on the location and breakfast.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused and Please do come back to stay with us the next time, we will love to see you again.

London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

I am afraid to say this was the worst hotel I have ever been to.

I went for work and had one sleepless night. I had booked for 5 nights on the Sunday night and on the Monday morning I cancelled the rest of the booking. I explained my situation to Ashish, the reservations manager and he flatly refused to return the money I had paid for the remaiming 4 nights. No partial refund, no attempt to understand any problems; nothing. He did not even call back after my first call with another member of staff. This is not the way to promote your hotel and I am very disappointed by this response.

The roon was tiny: the wardrobe could not openly properly as it was wedged against the bed; I could hardly fit into the shower (and I am not a big man); there was no double glazing looking onto the bust main road and the wondow frame shook when heavy traffic went by. There was damp on the ceiling. There is no wifi in the rooms. The wifi does not work in the "lounge"(more like a waiting room).

A very bad experience.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel - and not a Premier Inn one!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Swapnil W, Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us in Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington and thank you for taking some precious time to give us a feedback.

Yes we do agree with you regarding the room size are not that great, However in future i would like to advise you to book a Club room which is the higher category room.

We do have broadband connection in all our rooms and Wi-Fi is available only in the Lobby and club lounge area.

Regarding reservations part I will forward this message to Mr. Ashish in order to give you a proper explanation regarding the room charges for early check out.

Please get in touch with me on 0207 723 3434 if you have any further queries and i would be happy to assist you.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused, We definitely look forward to welcome you again.