“A week's stay at the Shaftesbury Premier Hotel @ Paddington”

Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington
Ranked #528 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Bengaluru, India
“A week's stay at the Shaftesbury Premier Hotel @ Paddington”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stayed at the Shaftesbury Premier Hotel @ Paddington for a week with my wife in Jan 2013.

Location, location, location. Close to Paddington station (3 mins walk) and from there on to wherever you want to go in London. That is the best thing that i could think of !!

Overall experience of staying there was fairly good. Extremely friendly and helpful staff within the hotel and the restaurant.

Rooms can be tiny. So, that is a word of caution for anybody who is travelling with a lot of luggage or who is physically (like me) on the taller and broader dimensions :-)

Breakfast - For our entire stay there the breakfast was the same !! predictable and can be boring for especially folks who are used to travelling and used to seeing a variety of b'fast options. And if you are vegetarian then it can become a little more difficult when you have to contend with exactly the same menu repeatedly throughout your stay.

Considering it was winter, the in room heating was a bit of problem. This was however taken care of with a additional portable heater that was kept in our room.

Having said that i think the location is probably the best that can happen for anyone visiting London for the 1st time and is looking for reasonably priced and conveniently located option.

Would i go back again.....not too sure. London does have a LOT of options catering to every budget. So, keep trying new places to stay ;-)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Swapnil W, Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your lovely review and for taking the time to share your experience with Tripadvisor, Thank you so much for this generous feedback. We couldnt be more pleased in knowing your stay went of well

We will definitely looked into the the points raised and give them a serious consideration.

Please do come back to stay with us the next time in London, we will love to see you again and help you to create some unforgetable memories.

Swapnil Waghe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed January 29, 2013

The most convenient place i have ever been, perfect location to be if you want easy access to central london and city centre. Clean rooms, good flat screen tele, nice healthy breakfast.

I was lucky i got early check in at 8.00 which made my weekend even more better as i was tired travelling and needed some rest before heading for sight seeing.
Nothing much to say i didn't had any problem whatsoever and one important thing i should recommend i paid £60.00 pounds per night and it is good value for money.

Room Tip: rooms are not big but decent size and please request for higher floors.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Swapnil W, Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Its wonderful to know your stay went off well, Im sure the team will be excited to hear such a wonderful feedback.

Thank you very much for taking some time off to share your experience. Its truly appreciated.

We hope this visit would be one of many and we look forward to welcoming you'll back.

Swapnil Waghe.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I, along with 7 friends stayed at the hotel 15th/16th December. I called the hotel prior to our arrival on five occasions and used the words “can you confirm there will be no issues on arrival” as I was aware of the uncertainty of the representative and was confirmed yes time, there will be no issues.
Upon arrival at the hotel, the receptionist then advised they did not have the rooms I booked available – only four rooms of two (tiny rooms!)
Shockingly, the receptionist advised us initially that what they can do for us is cancel the booking and not charge a cancellation fee!! The receptionist implied the hotel was rectifying the situation with cancelling the booking, leaving 8 women with no accommodation!
We then waited approximately an hour in reception watching the shambles that was management deal with other unhappy guests that were shipped to the sister hotel and back again. Some guest were advised the hotel did not have hot water when others checked in with no issues. We saw guests being moved across the road with others being moved to this hotel from across the road .
Whilst at reception, we looked at reviews of the sister hotel where we were being moved and I quote ‘beware’, ‘moved to another property’, ‘beware, you can’t trust booking with these people’.
We returned to the receptionist or other members of staff no less than 4 occasions wanting an update on what was happening. We were then moved over the sister hotel before being advised they were able to confirm they had a room available.
One of the rooms of our party was homed was with 4-6 generators outside the window creating an almighty noise and vibration . We are very confident in the fact that the hotel knew and would have received complaints before us. The staff member spoken to, when asked – did not come to the room to listen to the noise which again suggests are fully aware of issue. The girls were offered to move yet again to a different room, across the road where we were originally moved from!!! At around 3am in the morning.
We were all woken to help out and began to make space to share the room between the 8! In the meantime, reception offered a room with a single bed and bedding were one of the girls began to make a sleeping space on the floor! Then (yes, then), reception called to advised a room with a double bed “had now become available” – a terrible coincidence for someone to be checking out at 4am in the morning?
I sent my initial email on 17th December to which I received response on the 18th. 5 e-mails later, last being 22nd Jan after not receiving a response since 8th Jan which advised an email has been sent to the hotel to check the refund has been processed and will revert to me as soon as received an answer, I am yet to receive any further contact from the hotel.
The hotel offered only a 50% refund and discount on a future stay however, I nor any of the party will stay at this hotel or sister hotels again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Swapnil W, Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington and thank you for taking time to write to us.

It’s always great to get a feedback and we will continue to strive hard to meet the needs of all our guests and provide exemplary service in all our actions.

We apologise for all the inconvenience faced by you and your entire group, This is to inform you that there was a one of occassion where we were fully booked on double room type and only single rooms were available.

Once again I would like to reiterate my apologies - I very much hope that this experience will not deter you from continuing to choose Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington on your future visits to London.

We look forward to many more visits and giving our customer service a second chance to restore your faith in Shaftesbury group of hotels.

Swapnil Waghe

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Reviewed January 28, 2013

The hotel is nice and very centrally located.The best thing about this hotel is free wi fi in lounge which majorly all london hotels charge.. Rooms are clean, good breakfast .. The rooms are not great in size but will equipped with modern furniture and flat screen television. Last but not the least good prices.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Guest,

Its wonderful to know that your stay went off well. Im sure the team will be excited to hear such a wonderful feedback. To see our deeds and actions transcend to guest satisfaction is what we strive to achieve daily.

Swapnil Waghe.
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Firstly I would like to say that I don't think that this is a four star, I would put is at 3, I made my booking through booking.com and paid £60 for one night room only.
Arrived just after 2pm to check in, too be told that I had already checked in?, was given the keys to room and went in finding someone else's cases in there, went back to reception and waited in the queue, told them what had happened and then the man standing behind me said that it's his room, he had now been locked out and it was the second time in his stay at the hotel that a similar thing happened to him.
After returning to the hotel that evening there was a very strong smell of cannabis in a corridor and coming from a room next to ours, the smell had permeated our room, I told reception who quickly dealt with the matter, they could not offer us a room in the hotel as its full so they paid for a taxi and moved us to their other hotel Park Grand, this was better than the first hotel.
I did check the hotel rate on the Internet thinking that it would be much more that the £60 we paid, however for £59 we could have had the same room with breakfast for two had we booked direct with them as they were doing a special, so for all the inconvenience and room only with no breakfast we actually paid a pound more.
Overview: the hotel is not 4 star, the area immediately outside the hotel is a little run down, overflowing bins and dumped rolled up carpets nearby, bathroom spotless, rooms, corridors etc a little tired, staff very friendly and helpful, tube station no more than a 5 min walk, check their rates before using booking sites.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Firstly i would like to apologise for the inconvenience you faced during your stay.

As you must be aware that we strive hard to meet the needs of all our guests and provide exemplary service in all our actions, However in this situation there was a very little option left in order to reallocate you to our sister concern property in middle of the night.

Thank you for the good comments on staff being very friendly and helpful.

Swapnil.
KINGSON UPON HULL
Reviewed January 27, 2013

booked this off the internet last minuet .com has the weather was bad and did not think would get to London the next day which was when our train tickets wher for so did it all in 1 hour and 30 mins did noyt have time to check this hotel out and trusted last minuet .com so what happend when we got to kings cross which was about 9 40 pm first the black cab driver did not know where it was so headed for paddington wher we stopped and I googled it in my phone to get the address we finalyarrived at about 10 40 cost of taxi £25 went to reception explained who I was and was asked for £10 when asked what for the man said fore any thing I used in the room I told him had stayed in many hotels and first time i HAVE BEEN ASKED FOR THIS AND i WAS ONLY STAYING ONE NIGHT this did not cut any ice and asked for my credit or debit card this I refused to do way out of order paid £10 in cash and he seemed upset at that faults with room 7 tv did not work it had a lovely view of a brick wall from the next building about 3 ft from the window heating did not work and my bed side light did not work Bed was comfortable only good thing about this room bathroom was all new but the bath would have only held a very short person no plug if you wanted a bath anyway did not try shower wanted to get out as soon has possible breakfast was okay and that was all and for that they took my £10 plus another£20 it certainly was not worth that and it certainly is not a 4 star which is what it was billed at by last min .com would recomend no one to stay there and glad I only stayed one night any more and would have walked out advice don't go there

Room Tip: don't have any on the ground floor 1-9 don't know what the rest was like
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I would like to apologize for all the inconvenience you faced and i am lost at words that why it took you so long to reach the hotel from Kings Cross, our hotel is 5 minutes walking distance from Paddington station and even from Kings Cross by cab it takes 15 to 20 minutes and not more than that.

I have noted all points raised regarding maintenance issues and will be addressed to the relevant department so these things are not repeated in future, as you know small things makes huge difference.

We do hope this visit is one of many and look forward to welcoming you back as you are our valued customer.

Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Myself and work colleagues stayed here whilst attending a conference. The reception staff were rude and disinterested and seemed more interested in playing on their mobiles than representing the hotel. I was given the key to a colleagues room (who had checked in earlier) - luckily I recognised their hand luggage. This is a security risk. I wasn't offered any apologies when I went back to reception, again there was just disinterest.
The room I was given was a basement room and it was freezing. There was a draft from the window which I had to block with a blanket (as did another colleague who was on the same level).
We had booked 7 double rooms - one of which was for one of our biggest clients. Instead we were given 5 single rooms and 2 doubles in the basement. All were extremely small.
We managed to get a double for the client after much discussion.
The company i work for is a hospitality provider and I feel qualified to say that this hotel is an embarrassment to the sector. The reception staff are very poor, the rooms are very small, the room service is limited and we were overcharged on the rooms.
Would not reccomend this hotel to anyone taking a business trip - may suffice for those who are sightseeing but is an embarrassment to those taking clients there.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback as it always helps us to monitor our service provided to our guest.

I have taken up your feedback seriously and have forwarded to my General Manager in order to take necessary steps as this kind of service is not acceptable.

I have noted all the points in which areas we need to improve and will be given a serious consideration.

I cannot make any amendments which had happened but definitely can throw some light on it and ensure that it is not repeated in future.