“Good comfortable base to sightsee etc”

Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington
Ranked #527 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Good comfortable base to sightsee etc”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Nice clean hotel in an old large Victorian terrace. Right around the corner from Paddington station - literally a 5 minute walk. So handy for the tube and mainline station. We took cab's most of the time to Convent garden & Oxford street, between £15 & £20 a go. The room was very comfortable, lovely bed and all the facilities you would expect. WiFi is free with a password, but not every room gets access. Public areas are just fine. The rooms are small, we had a double and single for the 3 of us, all fine, but you have to plan your move around the room if you know what I mean. 2nd day we got back housekeeping had made the beds and taken the towels, but not replaced them, or the tea facilities. This problem was soon sorted out to be fair. We had breakfast, which was adequate but used all of the cheap cuts of bacon and sausage, and the tea was even cheaper. It fueled you for the day, but hardly a 'great' breakfast. we had one nightcap in the bar, which is tiny and had zero atmosphere. Things I didn't like was that our room was in the basement, a dodgy window opened into a basement area, just (it seems) by the steps the staff use by the kitchen, so at 3am when they are out having a cigarette and a good old chat at full volume we woke to hear everything - but I don't understand their native language. The hotel is near St Mary's hospital and I think a police station as we heard all kinds of sirens at all times of the day. In Summary, not a bad hotel, the staff were helpful etc and it was fine for us as a base. But if you wanted a hotel to relax in you might find better relaxation to be had elsewhere.

Room Tip: Rooms above ground might be more pleasant ?
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
SharathShetty, Duty Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank You for choosing to stay with us at The Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington on your recent visit to London.

While I am glad that you found hotel convenient and staffs good, I am equally disappointed to know that you were not completely happy with your stay.
I have passed a stern message to my housekeeper to be more vigilant while cleaning the room. I have investigated on the people smoking outside and it were actually the by passers and not the staff or guests. We have now made that part as non-smoking area and I am sure this will not be repeated again.
We are actually working on our bar area presentation so hopefully in your next visit, you will find the atmosphere more lively.
I am really grateful for your comments as it helps us to improve our services.
Thank you once again and hope to see you soon.

Warm Regards,
Shetty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leeds
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I have stayed here a number of times as my partner uses this hotel to stay here each week while hes in London working. The hotel is in a great location, very close to Hyde Park, Oxford St, West End, etc.
Rooms are compact but very clean. I have stayed in a number of different rooms and they do vary in size from extremely small to a reasonable size with 2 double beds in and sofa so check which room you are booking.
Reception staff are friendly and check in and out is easy. Only moan would be the hotel can be extremely hot a times, especially in the halls and lift lobby areas on each floor.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank pauly-66
SharathShetty, Duty Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at The Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington.
Its really comforting for us to see that our esteemed regular guests enjoy staying with us.
I have taken your comments on board regarding the lift lobby area’s. We are working on it and hopefully all will be fine by your next visit.

Thank you once again for your wonderful comments.

Warm Regards,
Middle England
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Booked via last minute on their mystery hotel and got two rooms for £136 each. Not expecting much but ended up with two decent double rooms. Set back from main road so hotel was quiet - service was efficient and had no complaints. Bathroom at last was a good size with a bath! Like most hotels around here room was up, down, around stairs etc but not an issue. Would stay again here

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank MiddleEnglandMan
SharathShetty, Duty Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for the wonderful comments here on Trip Advisor.
Its indeed a pleasure to know that our guests are happy staying with us. My team is thrilled to read you comments.
Hope to see you soon and thank you once again.

Kind Regards,
Morris NJ
Reviewed October 11, 2012

FIrst let me say that I booked a superior single for the rate of 120US. It was in fact the smallest room I have ever stayed in but here are the pluses that could definitely outweigh the size. Room is a 2 minute walk from Paddington. Rate of 120 was great. Staff was terrific-checked me in early and could not have been nicer! Small inexpensive room. I would stay there again. Lots of food choices close by.

Room Tip: Had a room facing Westbourne-pretty quiet actually. Front desk people are good. If you need a cab...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank douger67
Swapnil W, Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Morris,

Thank you for your good comments and I am delighted to see that you enjoyed every bit of it.

I will definitely pass on your comments to my staff and they will be very happy to read it.

I completely understand that single rooms are pretty small, however as you must be aware that due to victorian buildings we cannot do any changes but we would love to do in future.

warm regards

Swapnil Waghe
Florence, Italy
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I booked a club room,i arrived before check in timebut my room was ready-which was great after a long travel night.the room was very clean,well equipped and bed very comfortable.Breakfast was included and it was pretty good.id stay here again. The staff from day one was very friendly and halpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dan s
Dear Florence,

Thank you for your good comments about the hotel and staff.

I sincerely hope that you will return to Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington and to make sure that from a great experience your next stay with us is your greatest experience.

Warm regards,

Swapnil Waghe.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My room was in the basement...yes, there is a basement floor, beneath the ground level! In NO WAY is this a 4-star hotel - I would say 2* at best. The room was extremely small - fine, I suppose that is acceptable in London. There is NO WiFi accessible in ANY rooms, apparently - definitely not in mine, although I was clearly deceptively offered FREE WiFi when I booked, I was naive enough not to realize that this would be only in public areas. I will not come here again. Not recommended for business travelers. Location is fine, near Paddington station.

Room Tip: If they offer you an 800 level room, and they tell you to push 'B' in the elevator, you will...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Swapnil W, Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Paolo,

This is to inform you that free Wi-Fi is only available on Lobby level and in our Club lounge
In the room there is a broadband connection which is free of cost.

This is the first complaint we have received in regards to false advertising, as it clearly says on all our websites that free Wi-Fi connection is only available in lobby area and club lounge.

We do apologize for the size of the room as I would personally advise you to book one of our club rooms and I can assure you that you won't have any complaints.

With many thanks and warm regards

Swapnil Waghe

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Leeds
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Clean and nice enough although the room was one of the smallest I have ever stayed in. Barely space to lay two large suitcases on the floor. Good aircon (quiet) and smart flat screen TV. Bathroom smart, just a shower, but ok for us. We were on the 4th floor so a decent night's sleep. Great location for Paddington station and its Heathrow links. Hotel amenities generally lacking but didn't bother us as we rarely use anyway.

Breakfast was surprisingly good with a nice selection of hot and cold items. Only half of the toaster seemed to be working though so took an age to get anything toasted with just two slots for the whole hotel! Got chastised by the waitress for daring to take some milk of an emoty table to top our us.

Was £90 for the double including breakfast which seems reasonable as far as London rates go.

There are a lot of dross hotels in London charging more so overall I would recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Swapnil W, Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review and for the descritption of your stay.

Thank you for your good comments about the location and the Hotel.

Warm regards,