“Good Value Hotel”
Review of Celtic Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Celtic Hotel
Ranked #53 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We spent one night here on our way back to California from Spain. Located in a nice area next to Russell Square. I can't praise the staff enough. Very friendly and attentive and because we wanted to sleep in late after a miserable overnight train ride from Barcelona to Paris, they even offered to bring breakfast (included in the price) up to our room after normal breakfast hours. The room was clean and larger than one we had stayed in at another hotel on our way to Spain. The only drawback was a shower in the corner of the bedroom, so small I could barely turn around, with poor pressure. Overall, I still feel it was a very good value.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 31 which is on the 5th floor. There is no elevator and narrow staircase but they...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ben C
There are newer reviews for Celtic Hotel

Reviewed November 14, 2013

After visiting a dozen budget hotels in the Bloomsbury area for work, this one is my favourite. It has a most convenient central location, it is good value for money, it is extremely clean, including the shared toilets and showers, it is well decorated, carefully run, and offers a good English breakfast with old-fashioned table service. I do not care it has no lift: climbing the stairs is a good exercise. The only negative aspect is that its WLAN can be received only in the lobby in the ground floor.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank cberghoff
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I spent one night in the Celtic Hotel and was pleasantly surprized that this affordable hotel in Bloomsbury is so clean and even has a good breakfast included in the price. The staff were accomodating, the rooms clean. They have rooms with and without bathrooms. My room had a bathroom but was located next to a hallway toilet that other tenants used. I could have slept a little longer if it hadn't been for that, but it was no big problem really.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank nuclearfamily
Reviewed October 23, 2013

The Hotel has a few floors, so if you're not a climber (I'm not) it's maybe not your thing. But the rooms were very clean (spotlessly cleaned daily). Perhaps the cleaner can go easy on the cleaning products, but then I guess you get that. Bed sheets excellent if a bit stiff. I had the basin and shower room on the first floor which worked well until I sprained my foot. The desk man who helped hail a taxi (cheers) was helpful but they didn't really know where the nearest hospital was. Perhaps keep a list of phone numbers for guests who don't mind the pot holes? Couldn't hurt. The rooms are small but I travel light, so it was perfect. My room had a window which helps but I can imagine in summer it may get stuffy. The common lounge has lovely old furniture, in fact the whole place feels a bit 1960s (in a nice way).

Breakfast was great and substantial and they provide table service and is between 6-9am so makes you get out of bed. Staff are incredibly nice.

Being buzzed in and out is a little annoying but you get used to it. It feels like a family-style hotel. The staff are nice, if a little reserved. I wouldn't call them 'surly' as some have, just your typical European reserve, and London gets a lot of traffic so, I guess you cant expect therapy from the staff. I do think they could maybe engage a bit more because it creates slightly silent air even at breakfast. At other places, the owners chat and it makes the guests comfortable and add that something extra.

I liked The Celtic Hotel for being very close to both Russell Square Tube Station (going direct to Heathrow for around 3 pounds on an Oyster Card) and buses into Oxford St and Victoria Station. It feels very very safe. Busy in a good way without being claustrophobic with crowds. The location of this hotel cannot be beat. Marchmont St nearby has average cheap restaurants to pricier ones, but all decent and a nice place to stroll. There is a Waitrose to pick up cheaper food but nothing down market in this neighbourhood. Bloomsbury is a cross between professional and student village with lots of history and close to the Uni of Central London near Tottenham Court Rd. Walkable for most. Past the station you find a lot of small beautiful gardens to relax in away from Russel Sq park which is touristy. British Museum is walkable and from there buses to Central London is easy and 24 hour. I would stay then again, without a doubt.

Room Tip: The street out front is noisy if that is an issue go the back rooms. But I would imagine all are spo...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I booked this hotel based on what I read as positive reviews on Trip Advisor. Yes, location is good. And the big breakfasts could keep you going all day. The rooms are adequate and, as with all of London, over-priced for what you get. I found the staff at the reservations desk to be surly - acting as if you were interrupting their job when you had a question (with one exception - a young man who was pleasant but, as it turned out, sent us in the wrong direction for where we wanted to go). I surmise the wear and tear of continual, non-stop tourist traffic is getting to them. But I don't think it is fair to take it out on the customers. So I can't wax eloquent as other reviewers have. I have known London for many years, and lived there once, so perhaps I am jaded by the current high prices of mediocre hotels, remembering a London that doesn't exist any more.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the back
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 7, 2013

The Celtic Hotel is like a home for me. I started to be a Marazzi customer years ago, I was still a student of English Literature and I used to spent at least one to three months every year at the St. Margaret's Hotel. Today, business as usual: a central, clean and comfortable house with all the comforts and the kindness of Mrs Marazzi as usual. My home in London. The Sardinian Teacher.

Room Tip: Self-Contained are the best I think.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank AroundtheWorld61
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I traveled to London on vacation recently with my husband, my sister and her husband, and we needed a place to stay that was not going to break the bank. We found the Celtic, and the location was perfect - great convenience to the Tube and a few pubs around to choose from.

The price was very affordable with the four of us staying in one room. We had a sink in the room and a shared toilet on our floor, with a shared shower the floor below us. I never had to wait to use the shared restroom facilities, and they were very clean.

The only downside to this hotel was that it was unseasonably warm when we were in London, and there was no AC or fan, and we were on the top floor of the building. Even with the window open and the door propped slightly open to try to create cross-ventilation, all four of us woke up at different points during the night due to how stiflingly hot it had gotten.

Other than the heat, which I think most times of the year you would not have a problem with, it was a good stay at a great price!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends