Celtic Hotel
$215
$159
Priceline
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbritish museumrussell square stationshared facilitiesfull english breakfasthome away from homethe en suite bathroomrooms are basicno elevatorheathrow airportshort walknice breakfastground floortesco expresseach morningincluded breakfastconvenient locationfamily room
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed at the Celtic Hotel twice in 2012 - in March for two nights with my daughter in a double room with facilities, and in October for four nights with my daughter and husband in a triple room with facilities. We were very comfortable there, and would gladly stay again the next time we're in London. The location is great, in a beautiful part of town and close to attractions or a quick bus ride away. Excellent and abundant breakfast. The staff is helpful and nice. The problem I could mention was with the in-room shower both times: in March the temperature was fine but the stream was a bit weak, while in October the strength of the shower was fine but it was difficult to find the right temperature, and it varied from day to day - one day I had to take an almost scalding shower because I couldn't get it cooler. But this is a minor complaint and doesn't take away from our enjoyment of our stay at the Celtic Hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank DanielaAvitabile
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My boyfriend and I were in London this past weekend, we spent 2 nights at the Celtic Hotel and were definitely positively impressed! The staff is wonderful, everyone is extremely kind. We found that our room, as well as the common areas, were very clean, comfortable and exquisitely traditional. Breakfast was good, and again, staff there was very pleasant and efficient.
The Celtic Hotel is perfectly located: right behind Russell Square tube station (1min. walk), or 8-10 min. walk to Oxford Street, so it's central and well connected.
Only small downside is the weak WiFi connection, but since there is a cozy lounge area downstairs, it was no problem at all to check emails, look up places to visit and chat with friends & family back home.
We think this hotel is great value for money, much better than the standard, actually. We would happily stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ItalianBird_81
Reviewed October 3, 2012

The Celtic is basic with thread bare carpet on stairs. The room was clean, white wood chip walls some use of MDF to create wardrobe space. The shower is an after thought and I found the toilet hidden behind a sliding mirrored cupboard door. The toilet was so small I could not use with door closed.

On the plus side it is an excellent location and as others have described the breakfast staff are pleasant and efficient.

I guess you get what you pay for but would not say particularly good value for money - I will not be returning.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank hexaminer
Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

Fantastic experience at Celtic during the Olympics. We were a group of 9 people. Extremely pleasant (we did too many changes in the booking and always received kind words and efficient response); very clean rooms and baths (especially shared bathrooms); nice breakfast...Besides, location is fantastic (5 min walking to British Museum, 2 metro stations) and prices very affordable. Rosanna and her team makes you feel really at home!

• Stayed: August 2012
4  Thank pulcroyaseado
Reviewed August 14, 2012

First of all let me say that Roseanna and the rest of the staff are so nice and attentive. The servers at breakfast work very hard and get your food out very quickly. Roseanna always asks about your day with a smile on her face and gives you any advice you request. The rooms are cleaned every day, the soap is always replaced and the beds are always made. That being said... the place could use some work. If the staff wasn't so nice, this would easily get 1-2 stars. I am from America so I know I'm biased, and this just may be how all budget hotels are in Europe. If this were in America, I would give it 0 stars and call the health inspector, but... when in London, I guess! The bathroom and shower smell pretty gross. The sheets feel clean and fresh but I wouldn't dare look at the mattress. The curtains and tablecloth are gross. I broke out in a rash all over my body from using the hotel soap (rookie mistake I guess). They definitely do the best they can with what they have, and I assume this is just a symptom of the hotel being in a very old building in Europe. I'm under the impression that this is just how most hotels are here. It's not that I wouldn't stay here again, but it definitely skeeves me out a good amount, and I wouldn't really look forward to coming back.. but I'm not really sure there's much better out there in the same price range (which is very expensive in USD btw!)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business