“Great Value for Money!”
Review of Celtic Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Celtic Hotel
Ranked #56 of 558 London B&B and Inns
Rome, Italy
“Great Value for Money!”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My boyfriend and I were in London this past weekend, we spent 2 nights at the Celtic Hotel and were definitely positively impressed! The staff is wonderful, everyone is extremely kind. We found that our room, as well as the common areas, were very clean, comfortable and exquisitely traditional. Breakfast was good, and again, staff there was very pleasant and efficient.
The Celtic Hotel is perfectly located: right behind Russell Square tube station (1min. walk), or 8-10 min. walk to Oxford Street, so it's central and well connected.
Only small downside is the weak WiFi connection, but since there is a cozy lounge area downstairs, it was no problem at all to check emails, look up places to visit and chat with friends & family back home.
We think this hotel is great value for money, much better than the standard, actually. We would happily stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ItalianBird_81

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Durham
Reviewed October 3, 2012

The Celtic is basic with thread bare carpet on stairs. The room was clean, white wood chip walls some use of MDF to create wardrobe space. The shower is an after thought and I found the toilet hidden behind a sliding mirrored cupboard door. The toilet was so small I could not use with door closed.

On the plus side it is an excellent location and as others have described the breakfast staff are pleasant and efficient.

I guess you get what you pay for but would not say particularly good value for money - I will not be returning.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank hexaminer
Bilbao, Spain
Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

Fantastic experience at Celtic during the Olympics. We were a group of 9 people. Extremely pleasant (we did too many changes in the booking and always received kind words and efficient response); very clean rooms and baths (especially shared bathrooms); nice breakfast...Besides, location is fantastic (5 min walking to British Museum, 2 metro stations) and prices very affordable. Rosanna and her team makes you feel really at home!

• Stayed August 2012
4 Thank pulcroyaseado
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 14, 2012

First of all let me say that Roseanna and the rest of the staff are so nice and attentive. The servers at breakfast work very hard and get your food out very quickly. Roseanna always asks about your day with a smile on her face and gives you any advice you request. The rooms are cleaned every day, the soap is always replaced and the beds are always made. That being said... the place could use some work. If the staff wasn't so nice, this would easily get 1-2 stars. I am from America so I know I'm biased, and this just may be how all budget hotels are in Europe. If this were in America, I would give it 0 stars and call the health inspector, but... when in London, I guess! The bathroom and shower smell pretty gross. The sheets feel clean and fresh but I wouldn't dare look at the mattress. The curtains and tablecloth are gross. I broke out in a rash all over my body from using the hotel soap (rookie mistake I guess). They definitely do the best they can with what they have, and I assume this is just a symptom of the hotel being in a very old building in Europe. I'm under the impression that this is just how most hotels are here. It's not that I wouldn't stay here again, but it definitely skeeves me out a good amount, and I wouldn't really look forward to coming back.. but I'm not really sure there's much better out there in the same price range (which is very expensive in USD btw!)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank missgord
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We stayed at the Celtic Hotel twice during our recent holiday. It is very convenient to the underground as well as the British Museum, British Library, and some of the national rail stations. Russell Square station is on the Picadilly line, which runs directly to Heathrow. Staff was cheerful and friendly. Breakfast was pleasant every day. The servers remembered what we liked from one day to the next. The room was a bit cramped for the four of us, with little space for our few suitcases. The ensuite bathroom was smaller and not as nice as the one down the hall . On our second stay, we used the community facilities. On a positive note, when one of our group departed early, they left us in the room for 4, but only charged us for 3.

Room Tip: rooms in the back are quieter
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank californiagirl94303
Florida
Reviewed July 19, 2012

The celtic hotel

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights at the end of June. Our stay was quite pleasant. We had a triple room with the en-suite bathroom on the 3rd floor (by the U.S. count or the 2nd floor by the UK count). It was spacious enough - unfortunately, we had quite a bit of luggage, coming to London after a 3 weeks stay elsewhere in Europe, so the floor of the room was quite busy with our suitcases, but at least there was a room to spread them.

There were 2 beds, a queen size and a single. The beds were comfortable (and wider than I expected, having read about narrow beds in Britain!) so we were able to have a good night sleep. The bathroom was rather compact but served its purpose quite well and was very clean. The was no hairdryer in the room but I asked for one at the reception and it was no problem.

There is a couple of sitting rooms on the ground floor with lots of comfortable furniture and extra TV, I believe. I noticed a few people sitting there with their computers - apparently, they had found that wi-fi reception was stronger downstairs. But I had no trouble connecting my iPad to the Internet right in the room. You would need to get a password from the reception for that.

The breakfast was also served downstairs. There is a pleasant dining room with perhaps 7-8 tables, covered with tablecloths. There is also an outside dining area the hotel was building while we stayed there. The breakfast itself was quite impressive and exceeded our expectations. The choices were sausage, bacon, eggs scrambled or poached, hot and cold cereal, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, orange juice, toasts with butter and marmalade, slices of grapefruit... Brigitte and Mira took a very good care of our morning meals, and were very pleasant and efficient.

The entrance to the hotel is secured. You ring the bell to be let in. There are no elevators so the luggage had to be taken up by rather narrow and somewhat steep stairs. It did not come as a surprise for us and was not a problem for us personally but I am mentioning it just so that you are aware of what to expect.

The windows in our room overlooked the backyard. There is a pub nearby in that direction so occasionally we'd hear the pub crowd. We'd cease hearing them during late evenings despite leaving the window open. There is no A/C (which is typical for London) but we didn't really needed it as the weather was cool and we could sleep comfortably (it did help that we could leave the window open).

The tube station is just around the corner, literally 2-3 min from the hotel's door. There is also a rather big shopping center with a supermarket Waitrose and some places to eat.

In short, we were quite happy with our stay and the prices were reasonable too!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Patricia13
Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed at the Celtic Hotel for 3 nights in June, 2012. It is close to many attractions, clean and serves excellent breakfasts. The rooms are small with ensuite facilities. It was a good choice for an economy hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple