Tripadvisor
London
Post
Inbox
Search

“Such a shame, used to be so good.”

The Crazy Bear - Fitzrovia
Reserve a Table
Bookatable
Ranked #4,237 of 28,153 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Japanese, Thai
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Fitzrovia
Description: Our first London venue opened in 2004, surpassing every expectation in terms of popularity and accolades including: The Evening Standard's best bar of the year award Theme Magazine's best designed and best operated bar The Times' runner up for best bar in Southern England. The Crazy Bear Fitzrovia has also been voted best restaurant by The London Lifestyle Awards.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We used to visit here often several years ago and loved it. Now it is dirty, run down and dilapidated. The carpet is worn out, the furniture is dirty and has holes in it and the food has lost any semblance of quality or effort. The tables just don’t work for more than 2 people, and they brought literally the entire meal - starters, dim sum, soup, mains and rice all at the same time which literally could not fit on the table. So they took some of it away and brought it back cold. The prawn toast is amazing. Nothing else stood out. Popcorn shrimp was horrendous with a batter to shrimp ratio of about 4:1. Really gutted that this has gone down the tubes.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (1,355)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I had booked this for the eldest birthday, as I hadnt been to this branch before I was hoping it to be similar and crazy as the Beaconsfield one, but it was a huge let down. Disappointingly small, not opulent, sushi bar looked quite woeful and unenticing.

The food was nice although a little cold, and our server was great. But sadly I feel that this branch has had its heyday in a time long gone, and I left feeling like a deflated balloon.

1  Thank melodee_sun
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Set menu is not good for people with dietary requirements - vegans, vegetarians, pescatarians, gluten free etc. The atmosphere was awful, there were only three restaurants taken. The sushi bar looks sad and underwhelming when first walking in. The menu now seems overpriced. The restaurant as really fallen a lot since in glory days. I would skip it and go to Hakkasan, Duck and Rice or Yauatchau.

Date of visit: January 2020
Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I treated my friends to the seafood platter and we were welcomed by Mo who took care throughout our lunch checking everything was fine. The food was plentiful and delicious. We could not fault anything and have planned to return and try the twelve course lunch
I love this restaurant and return time after time because it is welcoming and the food never disappoints

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Ive given this score because of billing issues ! This is twice at Fitzrovia crazybear and once in Beaconsfield crazybear - we bought vouchers and our bill has been wrong at the end ! This time we took off the service charge to cover the extra amount on our bill
We do not ever usually do this but thought enough is enough

It’s such a shame cos we love the crazybear group have stayed many times even went for my 60th birthday which was one of the occasions we were overcharged!

In saying this food fantastic stay is lovely! But this has put us off of returning or buying any more vouchers as presents which we do on regular basis
Very sad!