“Best Tapas in London”

Ranked #194 of 23,877 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night
Neighborhood: Soho
Description: Barrafina is an authentic Spanish tapas bar located in London's Soho. It serves a traditional but contemporary, regional a la carte menu and there is a daily blackboard of specials, created by Executive Head Chef, Barragan Mohacho. Barrafina operates a first come first serve queuing system, and does not take reservations for their 23 stools. However, part of the fun of dining there is eating little bites and sipping on something delicious while making the line. The kitchen is open and guests are close to all the action and drama while their food is prepared.
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Great service- always friendly. Be prepared to wait- no reservations- line moves quickly but is about 45 minutes if at the door. Polpo is a must.

1  Thank Kristen P
Write a ReviewReviews (1,607)

Reviewed November 1, 2013

I dislike to be negative and unnecessarily negative. We are food lover and have done my fair share of tasting tapas in various parts of Spain with our Spanish friends.
None of the dishes we ordered tasted remotely good!
Whilst waiting:
Pimentos were underdone, salt cod cubes were cushions of oil, aioli was too vinegari.
After being seated:
Jamón and Spinach Tortilla was too salty and far too runny with an odd flavour! I didn't like being told off for not eating it either!
The pickled beetroots that were served with the scallop tasted of vinegar and aniseed! Couldn't eat it! This dish was presented quite well.
The beef stew was so disappointing, the beef was so tender though.

So nothing tasted good and after over an hour waiting on our feet, I hope you can imagine our disappointment for paying almost £100 for the tapas we only tasted and didn't like. I wouldn't have minded much if the food tasted similar to the decent tapas dishes we know. Add to that being told off when I asked if they could serve jamon on the tortilla rather than cook it. I must admit the waiter apologised afterwards and said the head chef wouldn't allow it.

Sadly we had to stop for a napolitan pizza on our way home as we were hungry!

6  Thank AmayahA
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Regardless of the time, you will inevitably have to queue to get a seat at Barrafina but it is well worth being patient. This tiny seafood based tapas restaurant only has seats at the bar/counter so it's a bit like sitting at the chefs table. I'd recommend the scallops cerviche as well as the giant prawns and the squid. The fried courgette is a speciality with cottage cheese however I was slightly underwhelmed by what I thought was the signature dish - easy on the eye but nothing special. Definitely take the recommendations from your server and enjoy!

1  Thank MarysLittleLambX
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Just returned from an amazing lunch at Barrafina. The food was beautifully executed and presented. Razor clams, black pudding with quail eggs and milk fed lamb were all delicious. Cannot recommend highly enough, you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

i have been going to barrafina since it opened and can say that its never been less than superb. do expect to wait and then to acknowledge that the wait was worth it for a daily changing menu of seasonal inspired tapas. i would focus on the specials particularly the seafood but roast suckling pig of slow cooked cheek are excellent winter warmers.