“Excellent”

Ranked #434 of 24,255 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast
Neighborhood: Soho
Description: Barrafina is an authentic Spanish tapas bar located in London's Soho. It serves a traditional but contemporary, regional a la carte menu and there is a daily blackboard of specials, created by Executive Head Chef, Barragan Mohacho. Barrafina operates a first come first serve queuing system, and does not take reservations for their 23 stools. However, part of the fun of dining there is eating little bites and sipping on something delicious while making the line. The kitchen is open and guests are close to all the action and drama while their food is prepared.
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

One of the best Spanish restaurent in London. Excellent variety of food and perfectly cook:). Will be back again!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,648)

Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Relaxed, friendly and with a good menu, Barrafina is a little gem in Soho. Staff are attentive and knowledgeable regarding food and wine. My friend and me opted for the specials, lemon sole and monkfish and it was fantastic. The food is of a high standard and that shows as there were always people waiting to grab a seat, and it is totally worth the wait. If your in the west end them I would take the time to go eat here.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

WOW! The wait is completely worth it!!!
The restaurant has a great atmosphere where you start up conversation with either the people that surround you or sometimes the cooks/serving staff depending on how crowded the place is. Luckily we were at the tail end of the bar, so we got into full blown conversations with all of the above. Everyone was super nice (head chef and staff.)
Food is fresh, so they don't overstock on certain items. When it runs out, you move on to the next best thing. I was able to try the octopus, tuna tartar and some fish on special (quite honestly can remember the name) and they were all DELICIOUS!
Then came the crema catalana (creme brulee) which was to die for as well.
I can't wait to go back and try the array of different foods to select from. I just hope I don't have to wait too long.

*We have been back a number of times since August 2012. Razor clams, Dover Sole, Courquette Flower, Ham croquettes...you name it, we CANNOT complain! All tapas and mains have been great. I purchased the cookbook for P for our anniversary since he loves to cook. And let me tell you, he has made some excellent dishes at home from this restaurant's cookbook as well.

Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

The staff were a delight, the food was even worth the 2 hour wait! Tapas is always high priced due to the fact of ordering so many small dishes, but the quality of the food here is exceptional.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

I was in here in february 2013. From the start, it was an interesting experience. People stand at a side bar as they queue up to get a seat at the long bar table. We came on a monday night and it was an hour wait. During hour wait, several people came in off th street. One was a lady that was clearly deranged who came in and started screaming for fifteen minutes about catalonia. It was disturbing to diners. The staff attempted to escort her out, but she would not go. I thought they should have called the police.
Then another gentlemen in line for table started complaining about the long wait and argued with the staff. They seated him ahead of other people. This was wrong.
When we were eventually seated, service was slow and confusing. Several people took our order but it took a while for drinks to appear.
The food was good but it was not exceptional as many of these reviews state. I had recently traveled to madrid. Barrafina would be an average tapa joint over there. While the food was average, the bill was large. It was a fairly expensive meal.
Given the price point and the multiple disruptions and average quality, I will not return.

1  Thank catchyginger