“Wish I'd found this place earlier”

Giotto Italian Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Giotto Italian Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,854 of 22,827 Restaurants in London
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Bloomsbury
Description: Italian Restaurant near British Museum near Shaftesbury Theatre and Tottenham court road. Oxford STREET, COVENT GARDEN
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
“Wish I'd found this place earlier”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

We chose this restaurant as it is close to The Dominion theatre - only three minutes walk away. My only complaint is that I wish I'd found it earlier. We've been to The Dominion many, many times over the last few years and always struggled to find a really good restaurant very close by. Plenty of "chains" but very few GOOD independents.
This time we were staying nearby too and took the time to walk towards the theatre in the afternoon and try and find somewhere different. Any boy did we get a "find". We were meeting up with my son and his partner later and then going on to the show so booked a table for 5:15. Hardly anyone in there when we arrived, but it soon filled up.
We all chose different starters - pate, minestrone soup, mussels and melon with parma ham. All were equally as delicious, but I would have preferred some sort of chutney with my pate, but I guess that's not very Italian.
For main course we had salmon in prawns, cream and garlic sauce - HEAVEN, pizza and sirloin steak in peppercorn sauce. Not much left on the plates I can tell you - it was all delicious.
Puddings - oh where to start. I had creme brulee - very rich and creamy, my son had home made tiramasu - delicious.
All this was washed down with a bottle of house white - very nice and finished off with coffees, liqueurs and brandy.
The service was excellent and the two waitresses who looked after us were funny and entertaining. A nice touch was the pianist tinkling away on the ivories.
A lovely meal and all four of us thoroughly enjoyed it. With pre-meal drinks the whole bill came to only £140. Can't complain about that.

2 Thank Lynda S

• Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
“Good for the price”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We had an early lunch here and chose the special deal. The service was prompt and the servings were generous and tasty but the lasagne was a disappointment. If you want a quick and filling meal at lunch this is a good choice for the price.

1 Thank Perthites-2
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Filled a Hole”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We arrived at 2pm on a wet holiday weekday - hungry after a few hours at the British Museum. the restaurant had a few other diners but was hardly buzzing. The deal of a mixed salad and any pizza or pasta + a glass of wine seemed good for central London at bout £10. The reality however was lacklustre lasagne (probably microwaved as it's heat seemed sealed in) a pizza with some nice cheese but soggy base and a few pence worth of lettuce leaves, tomato and red onion. The wine was cheap but at least had some alcohol in it - the waiter was enjoying the house wine too, so obviously not too bad.

The service was fast enough though pre-charged on the bill and the food satisfied our immediate hunger. Altogether a rather sad experience and we wished we had taken the trouble to wander down further towards Covent Garden or Trafalgar Square.

Milton Keynes
“Fairly average Italian - there are many better!”
Reviewed May 19, 2014 via mobile

We were on our way to a Pizza Express for a pre-theatre meal and saw this restaurant had a deal advertised, so came here instead. Pretty lacklustre meal and service, so probably should have gone for our original choice. The service was also pretty poor as we had to ask for water more than once. If they offer a deal, although it is fairly cheap, give better service, etc., and people will return. Pretty disappointed as we love Italian food. If you are around the area I suggest you look elsewhere.

Bothell, Washington
“Graduation dinner”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

My wife and I asked another couple who were very good friends and London residents to join us in a graduation dinner. Our reservations were confirmed and we found our table prepared for us when we arrived, 30 minutes early. After appetizers, each of us had a different pasta selection which proved to be an excellent choice. I selected the red ravioli which was on the special board. The food was brought to us promptly, and each plate obviously had just been prepared. The pasta was cooked perfectly, the service superb and the wine selection more than adequate. When you are visiting (or live in) London we would highly recommend this fine but not over-priced restaurant which is located on New Oxford street. I can understand why they have been in business for over 25 years. The owner and his staff are to be commended.

• Visited April 2014