“60th Birthday Party”

Ranked #2,598 of 28,464 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 11, 2019

I am late in reviewing, apologies. Kamila cooked a FANTASTIC three course lunch to a tailored menu. I hired the whole place and filled it. I bought my own drinks. Kamila did coffee too. The planning with Kamila was superb, the food and ambience wonderful. I can not recommend the venue or Kamila’s cooking highly enough. A superb birthday celebration for over 20! Thank you.

Date of visit: August 2018
2  Thank Jo N
Write a reviewReviews (214)

Reviewed July 7, 2019

My daughter and I met here for lunch before visiting Tate Britain. It was such a treat and I'm amazed to see the recent bad reviews. The food (butternut squash & pak choi green curry and beetroot balls & salad) was delicious - the best vegan food I've had in a restaurant as there wasn't that post bloated feeling that can happen after over-seasoned food. The cafe itself is in a surprisingly pretty spot, seeing that it's so close to Vauxhall station.
It has a quirky, relaxed feel and we both loved it and will definitely be returning.

Date of visit: July 2019
1  Thank Lynn H
Reviewed June 23, 2019

From terrible start to awful finish: we couldn't find anyone who worked there when we arrived, but we noticed that one of the tables has a post-it note with our name on, so we sat down. Nobody appeared for 15 minutes. At 1.30, they'd already run out of half the menu. The unpleasantly surly woman who took our order asked 3 people at the table's order, and began reading back before even asking the fourth person. Even the staff don't think customers should be subjected to this food.

We didn't want to drink alcohol, so we didn't BYOB. Didn't quite anticipate that this actually meant BYOD - they don't have any cold soft drinks except tapwater.

Repeating the order back to us clearly didn't service its purpose - when the starters arrived, they were 100% incorrect. Having taken over 15 minutes to put a blob of dip and bread onto a plate, I don't think any of us could be bothered to complain, so we just ploughed on with what turned out to be tasteless, unseasoned and watery dips, with an embarrassingly small amount of bread. Turns out that tasteless, watery and unseasoned was the theme of the day. Mains took a very long time to arrive A "spicy stew" was completely bland, and a roasted aubergine was a miniature portion piled high with dry sesame seeds with plain boiled rice. Jesus Christ. I would have told the waitress if she'd asked, but she didn't, of course. Is this actually what you have to endure as a vegan? If I went to a friend's house and was served that, I'd think "ah, my lovely friend is a really terrible cook." Shockingly, we didn't hang around to risk dessert.

And look, I love a community space, but there was absolutely nothing grassroots and friendly about this. On the wall was an advert for a €2000 yoga holiday, and the woman serving us could not make us feel less welcome. And sure, it's not as pricey as most eating out experiences, but it's more expensive than the average takeaway and the quality and environment is really extremely poor.

One of the worst restaurant experiences I've had in almost a decade of eating out in this city.

Date of visit: June 2019
3  Thank Whitetrufflesandwich
Reviewed May 21, 2019

Came here three years ago and loved it. Sure it's slightly odd essentially sitting in someone's front room, and service is slow, but prices were low, portions were hearty and the vibes were good

Went again last night and was pretty disappointed. Still got the slow service and slightly low-grade food, but with much higher prices (£4 starter, £9 main) and tiny portions ("plantain with salsa" was literally four slices of undercooked plantain with some chopped tomatoes and onion. Expect more than £1/slice of plantain).

Such a shame, because the concept was so great

Date of visit: May 2019
2  Thank Justin G
Reviewed May 7, 2019

The place was incredibly busy and there was only one waitress looking after all of the tables. We had a table booking but it took quite a long time to even be given a glass of water. The menu was all the way across the other side of the room on a chalkboard so we had to clamber infront of someones table to see what was available. We ordered a polenta filo pastry thing and it came with a few pieces of lettuce on the side. I'm usually someone to take pictures of their food, but I was so starving I ate it, however it was extremely lacking in flavour and I did not enjoy it. Still ravenous, we also ordered a chocolate pie to share, as I was too hungry to go somewhere else just for desert and we were already sat down at a "restaurant". I have never been so dissapointed when it arrived - it was like it was the very last slice, they had really tried to make the most of it last, and you could tell because it was sheet paper thin. I overheard the waitress say to a table next to us who tried to order the pie saying it had now run out.

When the bill came it was £23. It was a joke of a meal and I felt robbed. I could have made much better myself at home.

When going to the toilet it was very strange, you had to go up a lot of stairs and there was all sorts of people and it was like you walked into someones living room (I suspect it was).

Date of visit: April 2019