“Go here if you want to be ripped off”
Review of Ikeda

Ikeda
Ranked #4,390 of 22,659 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: Ikeda is a traditional Japanese restaurant, serving up exquisite cuisine in an exclusive, fine dining setting for the past 38 years.
London, United Kingdom
“Go here if you want to be ripped off”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We decided to go here after walking past and seeing the menu. We were seated and taken drink orders and then the (presumably) manager came to take our food order - we only ordered two small things as we weren't very hungry and he was incredibly rude and said "Is that it? You know we have a £30 minimum spend per person". Obviously we didn't know that because no one told us and I've never heard of this ridiculous minimum spend before in a restaurant!! We told him not to bother and that we'd pay for our green tea and water, but he insisted that it was ok.

In the end our bill came to £50 for 1 green tea, 1 bottle of water, 1 soup and 1 main meal. Go figure. We were charge a ridiculous £5 for a bottle of water, £2 cover charge each and £6 service charge.

The food was good but honestly this place will survive in the competitive market of London. People don't like being ripped off.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Londoner_15213

London
“The best Japanese food in London”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

There are a lot of Japanese restaurants to choose from in London, but none can compete with Ikeda on the quality of the sushi and cooked food. The food does not pander to the trendy crowd that thinks the Nobu and Chrysan are the real thing, rather top quality ingredients are prepared by the best sushi chef in London to give you the closest to a Tokyo experience you can get in the city. The cooked food is also well worth a try.

• Visited November 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Authentic and perfect.”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Small cosy and amazing establishment. Certainly my favourite Japanese restaurant in town.
Don’t come here for the looks, though. It’s all about substance – food, quality and friendly atmosphere. They will overwhelm you with the freshest flawless sushi and most exquisite authentic dishes. Try to sit at the kitchen counter to see the chefs do their magic. I frequent this place and often go for the chef’s menu – a real treat to senses!

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Agdam
“FOR PURISTS IN SEARCH OF AUTHENTIC JAPAN”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I am on an eternal search for the most authentic taste of Japan. Perhaps it is my heritage calling me to find my roots. Or a weariness of sushi trains, chains and Chinese food in disguise. Whatever the case may be, I have been searching all of London for 8 years for the best Japanese food and I may have just found it.

Let me introduce you to authentic Japanese cuisine in the heart of London. What may surprise you is that this restaurant is not new. It has been run by the Ikeda Family since 1978 and famous faces such as Kate Moss are known to dine here. But somehow it seems to have remained an undiscovered secret.

The entrance to Ikeda Restaurant is unassuming, but step inside and you are welcomed by kimonos and friendly greetings. The interior of the restaurant reflects Japanese modesty, nothing loud or distracting. But this gives your senses space to appreciate all the subtle details which are in everything from the service to the food itself.

The set menus are a perfect way to sample a variety of Japanese dishes. I start with the miso soup. The first sip of a good miso soup always transports me back to Japan and memories of tatami mats and my childhood. As I enjoy the sashimi, the chef, Dai Ikeda, tells me that he wakes up early each morning to make sure he gets the freshest cuts of fish from the markets. You can tell this is true by the size, quality and softness of the raw fish, which almost melts in your mouth. Lovely. The chicken teriyaki, an all time classic, is tenderly cooked and served with a honey-brown glazing of terikyaki sauce. Delicious. Next comes the delicate and crisp tempura vegetables and prawns. Wow.

Dai continues to tell me about the training of Japanese chefs. Apparently, to become a top sushi chef in Japan can take 6 years of training or more. After one year of training, the chef will be able to make perfect tempura and prepare other more basic dishes. Now that’s dedication.

Somewhere along the way I’ve had a salad with special dressing, I taste hints of honey, sesame, vinegar, soy sauce, it’s really rather more-ish. Then I am served my final dish, a platter of fruit carefully cut into ornamental shapes which are a visual delight.

But I don’t want to leave just yet. So I order another dish with the seventh top up of my green tea. Whilst it is not included in the set menu and may sound like an unlikely dessert, the matcha (green tea) ice cream is simply irresistible and rounds off the evening delightfully.

The cooking at Ikeda reflects the heart of family tradition and Japanese quality which cannot be faked. Throw away those plastic supermarket chopsticks and find out what real Japanese food is all about.

Something tells me ill be coming back.

Kuala Lumpur
“Old school Japanese i.e. real Japanese food.”
Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

I am a client since 1990. The father who used to cook died recently but the son continues to maintain the quality. This place is not for sushi. You must eat real cooked Japanese food. So if you only know sushi then don't go. Alternatively you will need to ask your Japanese friend to take you there and order dishes for you. However, if you have not eaten real Japanese food then you probably will not appreciate this.