“Bags of atmosphere”

Neighborhood: Marylebone
western europe
“Bags of atmosphere”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Had a quick dinner/supper here, the pulled beef on flatbread. Now it looked a bit of a sight but it was very tasty. I found service pleasant if not over attentive. What I did enjoy thought was the fact that because of a window seat I found dining alone fine, and unlike another london dweller (which I am not) enjoyed the sound and sight of some locals.

• Turkish first
London
“Delicious brunch for small appetites”
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

We tried to go for lunch on Saturday at 2pm expecting a tapas menu. However, at weekends they don't start lunch until after 4pm before which they serve a brunch menu consisting of posh fry ups but also some imaginative dishes incorporating ingredients you would not normally see on a brunch menu. I had a sweet potato hash, with chorizo and a yoghurt sauce/dip, which was delicious. However, as this was my first meal of the day, the portion was a little on the small side for me (nothing that a little bread could not sort out). Good selection of virgin and alcoholic cocktails, and wines by the glass/carafe. Staff were knowledgeable. I will go again if ever in the area.

London
“Vanilla through and through”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Went here for a quick meal on a Tuesday night, having booked upstairs we found downstairs to be a bit busier and with more atmosphere, so we opted for a tapas table instead since there was one available.

Staff were remarkably unfriendly, I was ignored by three of them on walking in, despite all of them standing at the entrance, less than a metre away from me, and all having spotted my arrival. On finishing their social conversation they deigned to greet me and I was offered a seat while I waited for my friend. After badgering me repeatedly about ordering a drink while I waited - I was early - my friend arrived and we were shown to a seat. The tables are tiny so we put our bags and coats on the seats next to us. Staff immediately demanded they be removed. Not a problem of course, but when I asked if there was anywhere to put them I was nonchalantly directed to hang our coats on the stairwell myself - it seems if you're not ordering something that will result in profit to the restaurant then 'service' is a foreign concept here. It's little things like this that ruin eating out for me, especially when we paid nearly £100 for a carafe of wine, 3 tapas and a dessert each. They just couldn't be bothered.

The food itself was no better than average. The chilli squid was as advertised but the accompanying aioli tasteless. The pulled beef brisket on flatbread was bland and the guacamole just a dark green mush. The mango sorbet had a bitter aftertaste and the biscuit that came with it was overcooked. The only decent dish was the ham hock salad. Wine was good but extortionately priced.

I wouldn't recommend - the place seems to think far too much of itself, from arrogant and unhelpful staff (unusual in Antipodeans - and I say that as one myself) to over fussy food which doesn't deliver. Not worth the time or money - go to Barrafina if you want some real tapas, with better service, for less!

Encino, CA
“Some of the best bites I've ever put in my mouth.”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We ate during a fairly busy lunch hour. Downstairs was packed but they told us that for a slight charge (kinda weird) we could eat upstairs. I'm reading that upstairs is more-formal. I suppose it is... non-communal tables with white table clothes. But don't let that scare you... not all that formal... two or three of us wearing t-shirts and no one even remotely giving us the stink-eye. Maybe they save the stink-eye for people wearing t-shirts at DINNER.

Anyway, we had the Turkish eggs (see pic) and the chorizo/egg thingy (see pic)... damn. Damn. It was like discovering a color you didn't know existed. Looked beautiful, tasted beautiful. It didn't hurt that I was in London, on a sunny May day, with my wife, whom I love.

• Visited May 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Good brunch menu, nice atmosphere”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We went for Sunday brunch and really enjoyed it. You can't book for brunch downstairs but the queue was not too long and was fast moving (we went at 12pm). The menu is quite varied for brunch (breakfasts, sweet and savoury, salads, Turkish eggs, asparagus hollandaise, etc.) Good coffee and friendly staff. A relaxed but up-beat atmosphere. Would definitely go back.