“Good quality- if little rushed”
Review of Song Que

Song Que
Ranked #5,542 of 23,571 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: East End / East London
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Had an enjoyable meal here recently with reasonably attentive service although felt a little rushed. Food was of a good standard and reasonably authentic to my mind which I really appreciated. This place my be living a little from its Time Out rating but is nonetheless a reasonable choice (next time, I will probably check out some of the other options nearby).

For a reliable yet quick meal, you can't go wrong. For an elegant or more relaing meal, I will walk a little up the street,

1  Thank andrew_2587

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I have visited this restaurant countless times but I won't be visiting again. I understand that this is a quick turnaround canteen - and I have always gone for the food as it's pretty authentic Vietnamese - but they have recently got much ruder as they have got more popular. Every polite enquiry was met with disdain, they got our orders wrong (and didn't seem to care), ordered one of our group to 'hurry up and finish her meal', and pulled my bowl of soup out from under my nose.

I had taken guests from abroad there - and although I'd explained to them that it was a canteen, the unpleasantness of the staff was still very embarrassing. It was almost as if the staff were trying to make being rude a feature - maybe they are?

There are plenty of Vietnamese restaurants in this area - I'm going to enjoy finding a new favourite!

P.S. Our initial food order was taken by a female member of staff (the one nice person we encountered) who told us that the Seafood and also Monkfish soup is made with a Pork Meat base. This is not mentioned on the menu so if Pork doesn't fit into your diet beware.

1  Thank Dapper_Jon
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Kingland Road has many Vietnamese places, and tried most of them. Song Que serves the best PHO by far!!!
I've been to Vietnam and it tastes almost as good as out there, especially over here you can go for the rear sliced steak option (143 on the menu) which is very generous on the meat. The pho's I tried the other places on Kingsland Rd tasted more like water, lacked of real ingredients. That's why I like Song Que.
The other meals on the menu are just average so as well at other restaurants on the stretch of the road, some might have better decoration than Song Que, but better decoration shouldn't let to foul people. People who frequent in the area know what to expect service-wise, that's why I don't understand the upset comments. If someone is looking for a candle lit romantic meal for two, then this place is definitely not the place to go to:)
In summary - great Pho, average rest of the menu

1  Thank MrsBalaton
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Meeting with two friends when we had not all seen each other for ages should have been a real treat - instead we found ourselves in this noisy and overcrowded restaurant. Service was poor throughout and the menu, though carrying an enormous range, yielded up some horrible dishes. 'Seaweed' is usually cabbage, but this one actually tasted like cabbage, with a vile sulphurous smell. Pancake rolls were thick with barnacles of batter, certainly not what I would expect from Vietnamese cuisine. Starters were not served far ahead of the main courses, which were served in random order and not all at the same time. Main dishes were poor, bland, with, for example, peanut sauce turning out to be a beige tasteless slop. As soon as we had finished eating the bill was plonked on our table, and when we did not leave immediately we were hustled out, after barely an hour in the restaurant. I did not think it was particularly cheap, and certainly the rudeness of the waiters would put me off going there again, even if the food were more to my taste. Perhaps worth seeing the shrine in the corner of the restaurant, which contains a Father Christmas, though! I felt that this restaurant was serving take-away food from the cheapest sort of take-away, rather than attempting to provide a decent dining experience, but perhaps that is not its aim. Certainly it seemed extremely busy, but I cannot imagine why - there were much nicer-looking Vietnamese restaurants further down Kingsland Road.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I love the food here so much that I keep coming back. It's a good place to meet frieds, but they don't take bookings, so if you turn up at the wrong time, you have a long wait for a table.

The service is usually awful, but sometimes they surprise you. It has an ambience more akin to a busy road-side cafe, not a restaurant - I would not advise coming here for a romantic date.

But if you like authentic vietnamese food and want the real experience, service and haste included, then don't give it a miss!