“Definitely worth a visit”
Review of Song Que

Song Que
Ranked #6,205 of 22,692 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: East End / East London
London, United Kingdom
“Definitely worth a visit”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Went there on a Friday evening around 8pm. There was already a queue of about 4 other dining groups but we were seating in about 15 mins. There is an amazing husle and bustle - and can be noisy. However it's all worth it when the food arrives. Have eaten there many times before and know what to expect.

The Beef flank Pho or Chili chicken noodles are always great - as is the seafood Pho. Soft shell crab is amazing. Service is prompt and friendly. I cannot understate how great the food is or the amazing value for money. Definitely worth queuing for! 5 stars!!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Wuerzburg
“Surly service and excellent food”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

You don't come here for the service, or the decor. It's a busy, workmanlike, no fuss, value for money Vietnamese restaurant.

Order number 149 (Chicken Poh) with a Tiger beer. It comes piping hot with a side plate of bamboo shoots, lime, chili and herbs. Don't eat the chili - let it stew in your soup for a bit and then fish it out. Don't make too much eye contact with the waiters. Do eavesdrop on the hipsters who are on the table next to you.

Enjoy.

• Visited February 2013
UK
“Favourite Vietnamese in London”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

The deco is terrible, walls are painted a very garish green, the tables are cramped, service, rushed but the food is absolutely superb.

Visited February 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Whats the fuss about?”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Waited 10 min to be served drinks, and the staff kept on coming back demanding we order food, in the rudest way. Finally ordered food - when this arrived we were essentially served a bowl of cold noodles with a bit of hard pork. The spicy squid starter would be better described as rubber that has been deep fried, and the spring rolls were oily and tasted of oil.
You have to ask yourself the question that if a restaurant has 500 odd items on their menu how fresh it is... Afraid I dont get the hype, maybe it used to be good, but seems like these days its a statement of being trendy going here. In all honesty you can find better more tasty Vietnamese food at better prices down the road.
I hate leaving negative reviews, but will never dine here again!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank nique10
London
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Extremely rude staff.”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I'm afraid I can't actually review the food as I never got to taste it due the abominable rudeness of one of the waiters there.

I was there this afternoon with my baby who was having a nap in her pram. The waiter said that I would have to wake the baby up if I wanted to eat. I politely informed him that this would not be possible and he humphed for a bit and then went to find me an appropriate table. I thanked him for this and said that I would be happy to wait

He went away for a bit and when he came back he seemed a bit agitated. I said again that I was happy to wait and he shouted at me that I had to wait my turn. I was a bit confused by this as I'd already said that I was happy to wait.

He went away again and when he came back he pointed out a table on the far side of the restaurant and said that the people would be leaving soon and I could have that one but I would have to position my pram in a certain way. As I had never been there before I said ok, I'll have to have a look when I sit down to see what you mean. He then shouted at me again that I had to have that table and put my pram in a certain way. I calmly said to him that I had never been there before so did not know the layout of the restaurant and also the table was too far away for me to see properly.

I then pointed out to him that I did not appreciate being shouted at twice as I had not raised my voice once and was happy to wait. He apologised and I said I will wait here. He then shouted again that I had to wait for that particular table. I pointed out that he had shouted at me again and that I found it unacceptable. He apologised again and I said that I wasn't sure why he was shouting in the first place. He then shouted AGAIN at which point I decided that I really didn't want to eat there and the conversation was going round in circles. I informed the waiter that he was extremely rude and then left.

In the end I ate up the road at the much more polite establishment; Mien Tay which I WOULD recommend.

I can only conclude that the staff at Song Que are either extremely stressed or are a bit strange and think that it is acceptable to insult prospective customers.

Avoid.