“Whats the fuss about?”

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: East End / East London
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Waited 10 min to be served drinks, and the staff kept on coming back demanding we order food, in the rudest way. Finally ordered food - when this arrived we were essentially served a bowl of cold noodles with a bit of hard pork. The spicy squid starter would be better described as rubber that has been deep fried, and the spring rolls were oily and tasted of oil.
You have to ask yourself the question that if a restaurant has 500 odd items on their menu how fresh it is... Afraid I dont get the hype, maybe it used to be good, but seems like these days its a statement of being trendy going here. In all honesty you can find better more tasty Vietnamese food at better prices down the road.
I hate leaving negative reviews, but will never dine here again!

1  Thank nique10

Reviewed January 5, 2013

I'm afraid I can't actually review the food as I never got to taste it due the abominable rudeness of one of the waiters there.

I was there this afternoon with my baby who was having a nap in her pram. The waiter said that I would have to wake the baby up if I wanted to eat. I politely informed him that this would not be possible and he humphed for a bit and then went to find me an appropriate table. I thanked him for this and said that I would be happy to wait

He went away for a bit and when he came back he seemed a bit agitated. I said again that I was happy to wait and he shouted at me that I had to wait my turn. I was a bit confused by this as I'd already said that I was happy to wait.

He went away again and when he came back he pointed out a table on the far side of the restaurant and said that the people would be leaving soon and I could have that one but I would have to position my pram in a certain way. As I had never been there before I said ok, I'll have to have a look when I sit down to see what you mean. He then shouted at me again that I had to have that table and put my pram in a certain way. I calmly said to him that I had never been there before so did not know the layout of the restaurant and also the table was too far away for me to see properly.

I then pointed out to him that I did not appreciate being shouted at twice as I had not raised my voice once and was happy to wait. He apologised and I said I will wait here. He then shouted again that I had to wait for that particular table. I pointed out that he had shouted at me again and that I found it unacceptable. He apologised again and I said that I wasn't sure why he was shouting in the first place. He then shouted AGAIN at which point I decided that I really didn't want to eat there and the conversation was going round in circles. I informed the waiter that he was extremely rude and then left.

In the end I ate up the road at the much more polite establishment; Mien Tay which I WOULD recommend.

I can only conclude that the staff at Song Que are either extremely stressed or are a bit strange and think that it is acceptable to insult prospective customers.

Avoid.

1  Thank globalgirl8
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Enjoyed an excellent meal at Song Que, my favourite on Kingsland Road. Service is no-nonsense but fast and efficient. Food is simply delicious and cheap. Highly recommended.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

We had a great time at Song Que last night. Family dinner for seven, quickly got a table, food was excellent and our waiter very entertaining. At the end of our meal he told us some jokes and riddles that had us all really trying to figure out! I'm sure this can't happen every time but it was a lovely unexpected addition to our evening and had us all laughing out loud. Great value, great location and busy atmosphere. Had to ask for water a few times but that really was the only thing that I can think of to mention that wasn't up to scratch. Not surprised that the place is always very busy.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Of the many Vietnamese cafes and restaurants clustered at the Shoreditch end of Kingsland Road, this is the best I've visited. It's often busy - a good sign - and does a roaring lunch trade, when service is brisk but, in my experience, never brusque. When in Rome, as the saying goes - don't expect a grovelling maitre-d' to take you by the hand through the menu. This is Vietnam, or at least it does feel like a genuine little piece of Vietnam. And the food compares very favourably with cafe fare I've had in Saigon, Hue, Hanoi, DaNang etc. Especially notable is Song Que's Pho menu. When I started to eat here, ten years ago, few people had heard of this staple Vietnamese one-dish meal. This noodle and stock based soup served in large bowls, with its crunchy beansprouts, fresh basil and salad leaves and cooked meats, was a revelation to me then. All crisp freshness and strong simple flavours, with the emphasis on texture. The four-beef Pho, tripe, brisket, tendon and fillet, is always exemplary (the fillet unfailingly pink, for instance.) It is still the best Pho I've eaten. Other dishes on a full but not overcrowded menu are good, especially among the starters and fish. It's part of the glorious spectrum that is the East End, and is well worth seeking out.