“a lot to pay for a bowl of cheese”

St Moritz Restaurant
Ranked #3,749 of 22,373 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Swiss, European, Central European
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Soho
sandy_v5
“a lot to pay for a bowl of cheese”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

I came here with a group of 5 friends for a birthday celebration. I had no idea what to expect but was excited at the prospect of gooey cheese and chocolate (not in one bowl!).

The restaurant looks excellent, they have done a lot to create the feel of being in Switzerland with the decoration and music. It is extremely small and there is not much space to move your chair or maneuver around other tables, especially when you have two big groups on the 1st floor.

We booked a slot for food, no starters and went straight into the cheese. The cheese was lovely but we just had potatoes and bread to dip in. although the food was nice i found the price was quite expensive especially when you add the price of wine which was not cheap. In total we had 6 people and split the bill equally and it still cost me £60!! when there were only 3 bowls of cheese and some bread shared around three with a couple of people sharing one bowl of chocolate i found this ridiculously expensive.

The wait staff were not that friendly and towards the end when we were the birthday girl was unwrapping presents they were rushing us to leave so that they could get new customers in. The constant approach from them on 4 occaions was not appeaciated.

All in all, i would not go back again but if you can afford to experience it once, why not!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank sandy_v5

“Swiss cheese”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

This seems to be the only Swiss restaurant in the West End. It's the place to go if you fancy Swiss. Overall, its not bad, but you only come here if you fancy a fondue and a rosti. There isn't another Swiss restaurant to compare it to and I've never been to Switzerland, so I can't comment on how authentic is the food. I would come again. The decor is cheesy, but there's nothing else like it in London.

• Visited March 2013
London, United Kingdom
“genuinely Swiss”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

I was invited for dinner here. It is genuinely Swiss. Swiss owner, Swiss staff, Swiss food. It is also nice to go to a real independent restaurant where the owner is there, rather than a chain, theme or concept restaurant. However ordinary Swiss food is fine but...... a bit ordinary and heavy. I caught a sight of the bill (£110 for two) which I thought was steep considering what we had.

• Visited June 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Downhill all the way”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

I am amazed this place survives! Kitted out to look like a Swiss farmhouse the decor is tired and in need of a good makeover. The food was extremely disappointing. Both the soup of the day and the onion soup were underseasoned. The rosti was watery and had been blasted under a grill to give it a browned look, rather than cooked in the traditional frying pan. My friends' veau zurichoise was bland, and my escalope viennoise very oily. The staff were competent but I can see no reason why I will be returning here.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Robin B
Amersham, United Kingdom
“Charming owner and staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

We have been going to this restaurant for 25 years now and the food is always very good. We had some excellent mushrooms arrived that day from Spain and the Viennoise with two fried eggs and rosti. Absolutely delicious accompanied by an excellent white wine This restaurant and owner have been in Wardour St for 50 years so they must be doing something right!!

• Visited May 2013