“Delicious food, excellent value, warm welcome”
Review of Gem

Gem
Ranked #1,713 of 22,674 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Turkish
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Delicious food, excellent value, warm welcome”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We came here by chance. We were visiting the Estorick Collection round the corner and had intended to eat at the cafe there. But the cooker had broken down. So we found our way to the Gem. And how glad we were that we did..

This is just a lovely place. The Turkish/Kurdish food is really good - freshly made, tasty, lots of veggie if you want it.The appetiser of Kurdish flatbread stuffed with spinach, put on the table as you sit down is delicious and tells you that you have come somewhere quite special. I had a kind of broad bean and yoghourt salad to start, then Imam Biyaldi - stuffed aubergine with rice and salad. There were seven of us,. mostly ordering different things, and no-one reported a dud. Service was prompt, attentive and courteous. The prices are astonishing - we had a lunch deal offering two courses for £7.95. With a bottle of house red and good coffee/mint tea the bill came to about £12 a head. I know of nowhere in London where you could eat this well for that price.

• Visited March 2013

• Turkish first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely place to go to”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My girlfriend and I stumbled upon Gem aprox 2 years ago and have always had excellent experiences every time we've been. The food is fresh, cooked with love and served with care. You get a free mini starter as well as free dessert. The pricing is exceptionally reasonable and service is not included on the bill. The venue has a cosy decor & atmopshere and is ideal for couples or groups of 6 or less. If you like grilled lamb or chicken you can't go wrong, it's what they do & what they do best. The warm turkish bread is also ridiculously moorish and all too easy to fill up on before mains. If you are considering trying this place for the first time then do so, I first entered on a spur of the moment and have never regretted it since. Many enjoyable meals later I can happily say I still have the same affection and lust for the food & ambience. It's one of those places that excels in its simplicity making the all round experience simply really really nice.... It makes me smile.

• Visited February 2013
London
“Beautiful lunchtime menu”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I had a great business lunch here with a colleague. The food was fantastic and the lunchtime menu brought two courses for £20. Service was quick and friendly and the newly refurbished restaurant is cosy and warm. This remains a lovely place to eat and talk.

• Visited February 2013
“Delicious”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Delicious Turkish/Kurdish food which never ever fails to impres. Been going there for 10 years. The shish, cacik, homous, patlican are all just divine. The owner is a lovely guy always very welcoming. Service is fast. And they are kiddie friendly too. There is usually a delicious complimentary baklava or ice cream too. So save some room !

• Visited January 2013
England
“What a fantastic, friendly, customer focussed restaurant!!!”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I visited Gem last night on the recommendation of a friend and I was very taken aback and impressed. It is rare to find such customer focus and service in London like this.

The restaurant is a Turkish/Kurdish restaurant that specialises in a type of tasty stuffed bread that cooked within eyeshot of diners and presented to you once you are seated

We were met with a big smile and swiftly seated. There upon, presented with the filled breads -which were delicious!

Sadly, our table was by the door and the door had an unfortunate habit of not shutting properly. On a wet and windy night, this was not ideal and my friend and I had to keep jumping up to shut it when new patrons came in and left the door open. The staff soon recognised our issue and tried to manage it as best they could, but it’s hard when the restaurant was beginning to fill up. The next thing I know, one of the managers has dug out a sander and is sanding down the wooden step! Turns out part of the reason the door wasn’t shutting was because it was sticking on the wet and swollen wood. Throughout the experience, different staff members apologised and we were given a free glass of wine each and dessert!

The food itself was delicious, fresh, fragrant and appetising. We had a cold chef’s selection meze to start with and share. There was enough to feel as though you had a starter but not too much that you were full.
Mains came through in the right amount of time – with my chicken shish being tasty and enough and my friend’s lamb kebab being the same. Fresh rice and salad finished this divine meal.

I heartily recommend this restaurant, the staff were focussed on the customers and I watched them try to accommodate diners who just turned up as well as a large booking. A really big thumbs up from me! I will definitely be returning!

• Visited December 2012