“Terrible meal”
Review of Pizza Express

Pizza Express
Ranked #13,944 of 23,381 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Description: Bright and modern, Pizza Express Clapham offers an exciting reinvention of Italian classics. A vibrant menu includes wholesome Romana-style pizzas with adventurous topping combinations, as well as fresh salads, an impressive range behind the bar and aromatic coffee blends. Family-friendly Pizza Express gives kids the chance to design their own pizzas.
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Usually a big fan of the Pizza Express chain and always have really good food, I have tried various locations around the country. However the Clapham restaurant is the only one I have experienced terrible food in and won’t be going back. The starters looked like they were thrown together in about 10 seconds the bruschetta con funghi was piled with mushrooms most of them around the plate and not on the bruschetta. I went for a Romana base pizza as I have in other restaurants however here it was much thinner than usual, greasy and completely burnt it was very disappointing. The staff were discourteous and just dropped our plates down and walked off without looking at us. I recommend the chain based on meals elsewhere just stay away from this particular restaurant.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Booked a table in the afternoon and explained I had a taste card, turned up at restaurant, was told that we could sit anywhere as it was not very busy, I showed my card on arrival.

We ate and was disappointed with the quality of the food, which made me think, do they use different quality meats and products for Taste card users and is that why they want to know in advance when you book a table!!! As we have eaten in here before without the taste card and it was ok in the past.

We asked for the bill and I gave them the Taste card, the waiter asked if we had booked a table which I said yes, then the manager come over all guns blazing, shouting at my partner if she had booked the table and under what name, she said no 3 times and said I did, he said we hadn’t booked a table and we lied and that he couldn’t accept the taste card, I tried to explain that I booked a table and showed the card on my arrival but with him raising his voice, being very rude, people looking over and my son starting to get upset, for the sake of £25-£30 off my meal I decided to pay the bill and leave and will not be returning to this restaurant again.

Been here so may time before and could never fault it but after my experience and lack of respect for myself and family I would rather just stay in and not go out to a Pizza Express again.

Spoke with Pizza Express head office and was told the usual sorry and our managers have training and we’re going to send you a £10 gift card (which I will give away as I won’t want to spend a penny in a pizza express again) I should have been offered the difference back that my taste card should have got off the bill in the first place.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Having been to a number of Pizza Express restaurants, I never expected to be writing a review about them, as they are all of a good standard, but nothing to write home about, as they say. This one was different. The table that we sat at not only had crumbs from the previous sitting (as we were eating lunch at midday, I can only assume they were from the day before), but there was actually a layer of grime which my phone was sticking to.

The staff were uninterested and unorganised, they brought us the bill before we had finished eating, which, it turned out, was for a different table. The waiter would run off before we had finished ordering fully, but not to go and see to another table, to go and chat to a waitress.

Worst of all, the pizza was not what you would expect from Pizza Express. The toppings were old and sparse, with so little sauce that it was basically just bread.

Not acceptable!

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Me and my partner went here for dinner, it was great, food was so good, service was great and will return.

5*****

Reviewed February 11, 2013

As a local to the area, I often find myself not wanting to cook on a week night and when I don't want to spend a fortune this place is great.
The menu is of course available to download on their website and it is the same as all the others. I often like to try something new and have been through the menu twice over. The wines are good and so are the desserts if you are feeling naughty. My personal favourites are the Romana pizzas as the base is wafer thin and chewy and crisp at the same time.
It is often quiet in the week and also there feels like there is plenty of space, so even when it is busy you can't feel claustrophobic.
One of the bonuses about living so near is that I can order a pizza and side dish to take away and if I decide to go in an order you never wait more than fifteen minutes even at peak times.