“Really good brunch”

Ranked #8,195 of 23,993 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European, British, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Balham Tube and Train station 30 seconds away.
Description: The Exhibit is an all day drinking + eating hub with an ever changing programme of events + flexible spaces for hire. Think of us as a youth club for adults - an informal creative space with drinks, food, art, comedy, cinema + more.
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We go quite often to the American diner, on the first floor, at weekends for brunch. They do really good American-style breakfasts: pancakes are particularly good. Free refills on the coffee is a nice bonus, as well as the jukebox with tokens left on each table.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We'd heard good things about this place, and I had high hopes on walking in, but despite decent food, we left feeling somewhat disappointed.

The place feels fairly authentic, and has a decent atmosphere. The place was a third full and we got a table fast, but no menus. For about 5 minutes there were no waiting staff on the entire floor. We were in no hurry, but after 10 minutes chatting I went to the waitresses' station and got our menus myself.

Service was slow the whole time and unsmiling, and at one point one of the waitresses explained, "We were really busy earlier this morning". As though they only had a finite amount of good grace and that had been used up before we arrived.

The place looked good, but everything had that slight sticky feeling of settled grease. I'd blame under-powered extractor fans because the place smelt strongly of frying. Each table had a coin for the Juke Box, but having put on a tune it became apparent only some of the speakers around the place were working and you couldn't hear any music from our side of the room.

The food was good, and reasonably priced, but seemingly true to form, when I asked for pancakes I was told they were out.

I'm no chef, but pancake mix is basic and there's a supermarket next door.

We sat around waiting for a waitress to make eye contact with to get the bill before we decided to go up and pay. We got no itemised bill so I couldn't tell if service was included. I tip probably 97% of the time but this would have fallen into the 3%.

All in all, I'd say there are better experiences out there to spend money on.

1  Thank Walker-S-R
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Unless you're 18, like to shout and throw beer around. Too crowded, too noisy, too young for me! But if you like that sort of thing, you'll love this place!

1  Thank Nathro
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Been here on a couple of occasions. Food is always good, and the waitresses are great; good service and up for a laugh. The food is fairly reasonably priced, but I always use my tastecard so its great!

Overall, definitely worth a visit!

Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

Went here with my partner as we were both craving a brunch and we were not at all disappointed. The restaurant is Americana retro style, but has a good ambiance. The menue is large, and include teaditional English breakfast, waffles, muffins, pancakes etc. the service was good with a very attentive server and the coffee was outstanding! When the food arrived we were not at all disappointed. Our picky needs were accommodated, and the food was delicious, and very plentiful. We will be going back.