“Excellent food, Spanish attitude”

La Paella Tapas Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
La Paella Tapas Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5,186 of 23,707 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are a small independent family run business started in 1995. We serve traditional Spanish cuisine specializing in tapas and our famous Paella, to suit all tastes buds. We also have a great selection of wines to choose from especially the white Albarino from Galicia. also please ask for aqny specials.
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I've had dinner here several times in past few months and each time the food was marvellous and the restaurant's atmosphere distinctly Spanish.This includes service so be warned. Personally I love it, it's a little bit of real Spain on English ground and I feel here most relaxed. But if you're looking for a quickly delivered meal and perky waiters - stay away! La Paella and its staff are laid back, proud and worth the wait (and money).
For tapas, If you like seafood try their Pulpo a la Gallega (octopus in paprica and olive oil) and , for vegetarians Espinacas con Almendras (spinach with almonds) are a must! http://www.lapaellatapasbar.com/

Reviewed July 31, 2012

We went here with a reservation and when we arrived we were told rudely that there was no table and that we would have to sit at the cramped bar. There was another couple there who actually passed us a menu after we had been sat there over 10 mins with no service offered to us at all. The couple who shared their menu told us they had no reservation, yet we're seated before us. We waited over half an hour for a table in the end and had to ask for a drink twice. We were seated at a dirty table. We were then left alone for a further twenty minutes with no-one at all acknowledging us. When we were served, we were served by someone who did not really have a full understanding of English. We finally got food 45 mins later, but we were only served one dish and that was mushrooms. We asked for our other dishes and were looked at strangely. We explained that we would quite like a few dishes at a time and asked for the mushrooms to be re-done. We then got all of our food twenty minute later with no re-done mushrooms. The food was poor. Fried items tasted of dirty oil and poor quality chorizo as well as badly cooked rice. All in all, terrible. We tried to bring upset to their attention but they appeared to be more interested in drinking at the bar. I will never return and suggest you don't even try.

1  Thank Deborah B
Reviewed July 29, 2012

A big thank you to La Paella for making our 10th Wedding Anniversary a great night. As always, the service, food and atmosphere was fantastic, a good night had by all...

Reviewed June 7, 2012

Recently visited on Tuesday 5th June with my girlfriend and another couple! I gather It was the owner that welcomes us, who was very friendly!

We ordered the tapas, for the 4 of us which he told us was a lot he added another table to give us more room!

The food was great he was really helpful the house red was very nice and well priced.

We will definitely being going again, fortunately for us it was not busy at all so we had a relaxed meal with no worries!

I have eaten tapas all over uk and Spain and this was one of the best!

Reviewed May 24, 2012

If you're like me and you travel a lot, maybe you're also like me in that you dream that some sexy airline, or airport worker in a uniform will fall for you, one day. Recently, my dream came true. I was outbound from London, when I started flirting with a lovely gal who was working assisting people checking in at the business and first class line. Thankfully, my elite frequent traveller status earned me the privilege of using this line, even though I was travelling on an economy ticket. After much flirting, she asked me for my business card, which I gave her. Then I went off to my flight walking on cloud 9.

Eventually, this gorgeous woman emailed me and gave me her number. Several texts later, I had a date, but she wanted to meet at Southgate Tube Station, in North London. In my experience, there are a lot of women who like the man to sort of take charge of the date. When I asked her where she'd like to go, she told me to pick. Whatever happened to women's lib? Great, I don't even know what kind of food she likes, yet. Also, never having been to Southgate before, I had no idea what was in the area. I hate being put in such a spot. If I pick a bad place, she might end up thinking I'm an idiot, if she doesn't think that already. Searching on the internet for restaurants near Southgate Tube, I saw a listing for La Paella. I happen to love paella, so I figured this might be an enjoyable place for me. Even if the date doesn't go well, at least I might end up witha good meal out of it. It had been ages since I had paella, so I decded that was my choice.

Many restaurants in Britain close between lunch and dinner,something I have always found annoying. When I grew up in America, I don't remember that being such an issue over there. Despite being aware of this British (or European) habit, I neglected to check the serving times. My date was a bit late meeting me, so by the time we got to the restaurant, it was 5 minutes past the closing time for lunch. There was no one inside, being mid afternoon on a weekday, but a man seated, reading a newspaper behind the bar. We went inside and asked if it was too late to order lunch. I don't know if this man was the "owner" referred to by another reviewer, but he had this deadpan look which one might confuse being miserable. In any case, he said it was fine and claimed the lunch finished AT 3pm. The sign outside said 2:30, but I wasn't going to argue with him, since he was calling it in our favor. We had a choice of seats, so we opted for a table by the window. London was experincing one of it's rare, hot and sunny days, and the open window and street view lended an air of European sidewalk cafe culture. My date and I opted to have a paella, which only seem to come in portions for two to share. The restaurant is a Spanish, tapas restaurant, which features a wide selection of tapas, with a small, but adequate selection of paellas. Basiclly, you can have vegetarian, seafood, meat, or special paellas, the special being a combination of the others. We opted for the special. The waiter (owner) advised us it would take a half an hour to prepare. I was worried he was trying to talk us out of it, as the lunch closing, according to him, was in 20 minutes. But when I asked, he seemed willing and said we could take our time eating. I had a gorgeous date, so I was happy to pass the time chatting with her.

Our paella arrived in a sizzling hot iron pan. I am not expert on paella, but I thought it was very good. The ingrediants seemed fresh and it was definitely better than some paellas I have had at other establishments. We were both very satisfied and the bill, with 3 non-alcoholic drinks and no dessert came to around £30, for the two of us. To my shock, my date insisted on paying for both of us. Maybe women's lib is still alive and kicking. We went on to kill a couple of more hours at a pub. Later that evening, my date sent me a text saying the restaurant had been a good chooice. Yay for me! So if you're in the area and you have a taste for Spanish tapas or paella, I can wholeheartedly recommend this place. But cut the owner guy some slack. I don't think he's really miserable, I think he just looks like he is. He put up with us and gave good service, even when we were awkward in regards to the timing.