“All that glitters, is not gold.”
Review of Pearl Liang

Pearl Liang
Ranked #2,856 of 24,439 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Paddington / Maida Vale
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Group of 20 of us were accommodated pretty well. The service was welcoming and efficient initially. Not over friendly but just getting on with the job, which is fine with me.

Service wise, downsides were ..we had to wait a long time for additional drinks.. and the look on the waitresses face when i questioned the size of the main course portions. More on that later..

Starters came. They tasted excellent at £7 per head. The spring roll on the plate was very pretty and original, but when you bit into it and look inside, virtually nothing in there. A bit like an oriental croissant??. Also on the plate was one rib the size of a clipper lighter,one king prawn,some seaweed. At this point the party were happy with the quality of the food as it tasted amazing and was very pretty.

The peking duck was delivered with splendour and was absolutely superb. Amazingly succulent and perfect bronze skin.. separately served over large prawn crackers. Absolutely Awesome.

The main course and subsequent bill is where it got disappointing. Some of the portions here are laughable. I ordered 16 main dishes and 8 egg fried rice for 20. That simply wasn't enough, so another 4 egg fried rice ordered. To add insult to injury..

The party of 20 was a self paying party, mixture of cash and cards. We all budgeted for the 12.5% service charge and ended up being £10 short on the total bill. We were hauled up on that publicly at the table and happily paid. If i owned this restaurant, i would have let it go, or at least not bother to embarrass the party at the table and grab the person that booked it, aside for a quiet word.

A special occasion for me personally. I expected a bit less confrontation bringing 20 people to their restaurant spending upwards of £35 per head on a thursday night.

I pretty much took the same group of 20 to keis in reading a month ago. The feedback is chalk and cheese in favour of keis on every front. We all left absolutely stuffed with awesome cantonese cuisine and felt very well looked after.

Pearls do presentation and quality of food very well. The peking duck was truly spectacular. But.. Im sorry, but some of the portions were truly insulting and with that in mind, i don't appreciate being hauled up on a tenner in front of my work colleagues, when the bill is £700ish which includes the 12.5% service charge.

So i won't be back.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

I've been here a few times now, mainly because it is near Paddington train station where there aren't many decent places to eat. I met my daughter and her boyfriend recently en route to travelling on to Heathrow. It was a Sunday evening and we hadn't booked: the place was very busy so we sat at a small table near the bar. The food and service were both excellent. We enjoyed really well prepared Peking duck, the meat moist and succulent, the skin served separately, crispy and tasty, and plenty of pancakes. Then a mixed seafood dish, a wonderful braised belly pork hot pot, pan-fried noodles, steamed chinese vegetables, rice, etc. Plus jasmine tea and a half-decent bottle of reasonably priced new world Chardonnay. Definitely somewhere I will return to when I'm next in the area.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I went to Pearl Liang with 2 friends from Tasmania who love Chinese but have never had in in the UK. We chose the "Jade" set menu at £25 each and while I thought it was good they thought it was the best Chinese they have ever had! Some things were new to them but we enjoyed everything and the waiting staff were friendlier than in some other Chinese restaurants. It is well worth finding this one in Paddington which is a bit hidden!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

My partner, who is Cantonese, was keen to try this place and not being too far from us we decided to give it a try. Our first mistake was to turn up around lunch time without a reserved table. As there are offices nearby and this place also does take away, it was very busy. We managed to get a table in the front part of the restaurant (this seems to be the unreserved seating) but were pretty much ignored for about 15-20 mins. We were not given a dim sum menu as requested without having to accost someone and my partner also had to shout for service in Cantonese for someone to actually take notice and come to take our order. If I had been on my own I would have walked out by the time we managed to get served! The other tables in this section were having the same problem as there did not seem to be enough staff assigned to this part of the restaurant to cope with the lunch time rush so my first tip is to either book a table or come after 2pm. The food once we had ordered came quite quickly and was good quality. The food would deserve 4 stars and the service 2 stars so I decided on an average of 3 stars for this review. My other complaint was that the waiter spilt a cup of tea over me and then did not deduct any money from the bill until I requested it - I consider this very bad form especially as I was gracious about the whole thing. The toilets are nice but hidden behind a wallpapered door in the middle of the restaurant - my second tip! I would go here again for the food but be prepared for patchy service.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Tucked away in Paddington Basin, you wouldn't necessarily stumble across this restaurant unless you knew it was there. It is very busy but the staff manage to cope well with brisk and welcoming service. The asparagus and prawns were great and sea bass sensational. The Argentinian pinot noir (well priced) was a real find. If you like Chinese Food in a modern ambience with a good wine list, it's definitely worth a visit.