“Delicious!”

Ranked #7,367 of 23,214 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: South Kensington
Description: There's something special about Noor Jahan that not only attracts big-name eaters - Hugh Grant, Eric Clapton and Rowan Atkinson, but also a veritable army of devoted regulars who make a habit of dining there. Maybe it's the Chef specialities, like the special recipes for chicken, lamb, king prawns and duck, but also our own British invention of chicken tikka masala. Lunchtimes are slightly subdued with the business of the day, but evenings are more vivacious and warm. The decor is simple, the service welcoming, and the cooking convincing. No wonder Noor Jahan has been a local landmark for nearly forty years.
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I just can't believe any bad reviews of this restaurant! The many staff were very friendly and attentive, you really shouldn't confuse being efficient with trying to rush you out of a restaurant. Plates were cleared and glasses quietly and efficiently. I always think a smile and a thankyou goes a long way .
The food itself was lovely, I had a really tasty chicken dish to start, full of fresh flavours, and tender lamb chops marinated in yoghurt and spices, again delicious. We declined desserts, too full, but sat finishing our bottle of wine, no one rushed us out at all, despite being quite busy. All in all a lovely meal.

There are newer reviews for Noor Jahan

Reviewed May 22, 2013

I have used the Noor Jahan for the past 51 years during which period it has remained consistently excellent. The quality of food is superb and the service irreproachable. I have heard the criticism that one feels hurried by the staff but, in my opinion, this is simply that the waiters, who are smartly dressed and in abundance, are well-trained professionals who keep a constant eye on their tables, removing dishes as soon as they are finished with and responding instantly to customers' requirements. The kitchen pays no heed to modern fads: for example, chicken curries are made from the whole chicken including wings and legs so it is deliciously full-flavoured instead of the lumps of tasteless, low-grade breast meat which is now almost universal.

The downside of the Noor Jahan is as a result of its own excellence – it tends to attract “celebrities” so be prepared for your meal to be spoiled by the shuffling and excited “Ooh, Aahs” as some egocentric showbiz “A-lister” slides in wearing dark glasses pretending that he/she is trying to remain incognito! Apart from this, the restaurant is beyond criticism and remains one of the best in London.

3  Thank IainGDevon
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Any trip to London has to include some indian food and it is rarely as good as it was here. The dishes weren't large but they were delicately spiced and well presented. My only complaint is that we were more or less sharing a table with the people next to us which made the conversation a little erratic as voices cross-polinated in the general noise.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

My wife and I discovered Noor Jahan over 15 years ago and we have always found the food to be of exceptional quality. The staff are very helpful, good humored and in a word exceptional. Good food in a warm and friendly atmosphere.

1  Thank NaraindraM M
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

I've been here a few times now and I'm never disappointed. I would say its better than your average Indian restaurant but a little bit overpriced.
This is a popular restaurant and its often completely full... still waiting to see Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie in here!

1  Thank Faceman98