“Best Chinese meal ever!”
Review of Yauatcha

Yauatcha
Ranked #434 of 23,689 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Soho
Description: Yauatcha Soho is a Chinese dim sum teahouse in the heart of Soho and part of the Hakkasan group, offering an all day grazing experience. Launched in 2004, Yauatcha gained immediate critical acclaim and received its Michelin star within a year of opening which it continues to maintain. Yauatcha provides a unique dining experience, offering authentic dim sum with a contemporary influence. The renowned menu includes a wide selection of dim sum and a list of over 60 types of tea. The design by Christian Liagre offers full view of the kitchen allowing passers by to witness the preparation of the expertly made dishes. Spread over two floors, the 160 cover restaurant offers a light environment on the ground floor, emulating the vibrant 'chatter shop' atmosphere of a traditional dim sum eatery in Hong Kong. Its subterranean level offers deep booths and low lighting, providing a captivating dining space for evening.
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We went to Yauatcha for a lovely Dim Sum late lunch yesterday in Soho and had the most fantastico experience, it puts traditional chinese restaurants firmly in the past and introduces modern twists only found in the big smoke. I highly recommend booking a table upstairs if you prefer light and space. The staff were very friendly and helpful and more than happy to pay the service charge here, all the staff seemed happy to me. The architectual design in this place is also worth a mention, a great attention to detail, although I'm not sure about the electric candles in the walls! - is that down to 'big brother' and the health and safety over kill we tend to put up with these days...I wonder! If you can afford to treat yourself to a special Chinese then don't miss out on Yauatcha "Ya - Watch ya!" BTW we only went here due to seeing the film Trance a week before, I think they are very busy now so book to be sure! M

1  Thank Marco_Polo
Write a ReviewReviews (3,339)

Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Loved this place had the set dim sum menu think £40 per person . Also loved the refreshing ice teas . Every dish was clean crisp fresh and tasted incredible . The venison curry puffs are probably the tastiest little things I've ever eaten a must if your going . Really enjoyed the whole experience was seated downstairs . The service is the best I've ever experienced ever . The waiters worked so harmoniously with each other you didn't actually notice they where there completely loved this place amazing .

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Went with a few friends. Excellent food, excellent service. A must visit while in London. The dim sum is very good and the ribs and crispy duck are to die for.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Loved the food and the atmosphere at this place. Especially loved the tea-based smoothies which were totally out of this world. All the food was pretty amazing except, funnily enough, for the waiter's recommendation, which was just ok. The duck was spectacularly good. Definitely one to go back to for us. Bill for 3 was just over £200 but £112 of them were for 2 bottles of wine.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is the fourth time I've eaten at this restaurant and each time the food has been delicious but there is one thing that annoys me above all else and that is having the table cleared while I am still eating! On this occasion it was just my husband and myself sitting across from each other on a fairly small table chatting away when a waiter reached across in between us to take away empty plates and then to make matters worse was followed immediately be another waiter with a wet sponge cleaning the table! We were still eating and chatting and trying to enjoy our dinner but how can you when you get this sort of intrusion! They even took away my husbands unfinished beer and when I told them just to leave us in peace instead of apologising they actually answered back! I am the customer, I am the one paying and I don't expect an argument when I ask to be left to finish my meal in peace! I complained to the manager on the way out who said it was restaurant policy to clear plates as they are finished but I suggested that instead of just barging in the waiters could at least try a little finesse by actually asking - would you like you plates cleared? or even MAY I clear you plates? It spoilt what had been a pleasant experience. There should be an end to this awful practice of clearing tables while customers are still dining ONCE AND FOR ALL!

1  Thank daysaway1054