“Awful experience! Shouted at and kicked out of the cafe!”
Review of Cafe Mode

Cafe Mode
Ranked #9,161 of 23,718 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Transit: Covent Garden and Holborn tube stations
Description: Featuring a fusion menu of fresh Italian food and delicious grills and bringing a Mediterranean touch to Theatreland since 1996, Cafe Mode is a friendly neighbourhood restaurant ideal for meeting friends in Covent Garden. Inspiring the welcoming ambience, the decor consists of a simple blend of dark wood and apricot walls, complemented with large mirrors. You can start with the tasty Calamari Fritti, served with dill mayonnaise dip, before tucking into a succulent Sirloin Steak or one of the famous pizzas, and finally indulging in one of the truly decadent desserts, such as the Tiramisu or Strawberry Cheesecake. With a fantastic reputation for fabulous service and first class cuisine, Cafe Mode is a cosy and comfortable place to enjoy a meal at prices that won't break the bank. COMEDY EVERY NIGHT!!
Reviewed April 5, 2014

!!Very rude people and they do not understand how to listen to a customer!!
I am not a fussy person at all and do not like complaining, but I needed to tell what me and my friends came across today. First of all service is very slow. Coffees that we ordered only arrived after 20 minutes, then we asked for the bill and after waiting 15 minutes we had to go inside to pay. Now the worst part is coming. We were shouted at and kicked out of the cafe because we wanted to pay separately. I assume that the guy shouting at us was the owner and he told us "Shut up, pay and go! I do not want to listen to you." When I said that he was very rude and he can't talk to us like that he became more aggressive and stated that he did not want to see us in the cafe any more and also said that "Do not shout,there are customers dining inside" (like I am not a customer to satisfy!!!). I think all of this was because we had 4 coffees and did not have proper meal and one of us wanted to pay separately. Please do not even waste your money for these inappropriate people. I am sorry for the waiters who are working there:(

3  Thank Sinemissss

Reviewed March 22, 2014

Arrived about 5.30pm having been "attracted" by a young lady who was handing out leaflets which offered a 50% discount on 2 courses or more.
We both ordered from the "Theatre Menu" which had a 3 course plus cofee/tea for £32, so with discount for the 2 of us would have cost a total of £32. We had a couple of extras, water and olives and the bill came to over £47. £9+ had been added as service charge. This turned out to be 12.5% on the total cost BEFORE the 50% discount was applied, a bit sneaky I thought!!
This rather spoilt what was quite a reasonable meal.

1  Thank lomos14
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I can see why this place gets some bad reviews, but this is my factual report on what we ate:

NIBBLES ---- olives - very tasty; pistachios - had run out! But someone nipped out (to pub over road?!) and brought some in

STARTERS --- king prawns were juicy, nice rocket and acceptable piquant sauce; calamari - greasy batter but more than acceptable

MAINS --- seabass - succulent and moist. Lovely aubergine, courgette veg side
- veg risotto - moist and creamy, little too al dente

DRINKS --- Peroni on draught, chilled and in acceptable, but not tip-top condition. BUYING HALF PINT costs lot more than pint

my wife had the dolce amore cocktail which was a nice bittersweet combo.

MUST STRESS: at 50% off prices are fair - but full price definitely not worth it.

We had gone to see a friend who was playing, and the place was pretty quiet, doors open causing problems potentially. Friendly staff, but equally can see why there could be problems.

Overall not a choice venue, but if you are nearby and other places crowded etc, then 2 courses at half price is fair enough.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We arrived to be met by a lady on the pavement who told us to wait while she checked. Reluctantly she allowed us to wait inside near the door. A waiter approached, we mentioned our booking, nothing was checked and we were given a tiny table between the kitchen door and the thoroughfare. We were promised a menu, nothing arrived. We mentioned that we were unhappy with the table and were promised that he would see if another was available. No one returned, we left and will not be going back. We have dined here many times before but currently the standard of service is not acceptable.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

Feel cheated on many levels.....We were a family of four seeking a pre theatre meal deal. I could say more about our meal experience..however will keep it simple. Red wine was cold, spaghetti carbonara was not on the menu however as my daughter had asked for it they offered to make it for her. We quickly realised why it was not on the menu...as they clearly had no idea how....they made her pasta with cream and ham ...no other ingredients! A 20% service charge was added to the bill, for what I am not sure? But being English, we paid it and politely left. We later found we had left a bag with a gift in it for my daughter on the seat, so phoned up. Each time we called ...4 times in total, the young waitresses answering the phone, all of sudden cannot speak English and just kept informing us the manager was out. This for me would have redeemed their bad service and poor meal quality. Sadly this pushed me to write this review as I would not want others to feel cheated when this restaurant clearly does not value it's customers!

2  Thank ladyloyal