“Tasty”

Cuisines: Malaysian
Neighborhood: Soho
Description: We are reopen Malaysia kopitiam now at Holloway Road London
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Tasty Malaysian food at ok prices. I bit steeper than nearby C+R but the decor is a bit posher, with air conditioning and the service is a bit better.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

We were looking for Malaysian food near our Piccadilly hotel, and found Kopi Tiam as a fleeting mention on Chowhounds -- and liked it so much we went twice. The food is delicious, service is fast & friendly, the place is very simply furnished but clean, and the prices are quite low. The first time we stopped in after a long day of sightseeing, and the friendly waitresses were quick to get our drinks and take our orders, with the appetizers following within 10 minutes of ordering. We had the roti canai, carrot cake, laksa, and kway teow -- the carrot cake was particularly good, especially with an extra lashing of sambal. The Olympics were being televised at a low volume on the 2 flatscreens. The second time we went was when we had very little time to grab a bite before heading to the airport, so we immediately thought of popping into Kopi Tiam. I had the carrot cake again, and my husband had chicken masaman from the Thai menu, and both were delicious -- and again the service was quick and pleasant. I liked Kopi Tiam as a centrally-located low-key diner with good Malaysian food, and would definitely return (more carrot cake!) and recommend it to anyone looking for a quick delicious inexpensive bite in central London.

Reviewed April 21, 2012

First of all, the address has changed, they are now in Charing Cross Road, just a few yards north of Newport Court. Having said that don't worry if you miss it: there are plenty of better places to eat in the area! A very average Malaysian eating place; I am a bit surprised at the praise from other reviewers. How many other places have they tried if they think that this is good? I have spent plenty of time in Malaysia over the last 30 years and don't expect the same quality in London, but some places do make an effort, but not Kopi Tiam!

Kopi Tiam is OK for a quick meal if you are passing by, but don't go looking for it, unless you are easily pleased. The food is average, nothing special, the service is poor, no eye contact or speech from the server; and the value for money is not good at all: eg ask for a plate of Eng Choi and you'll get a plate of stalks (where do the leaves go?) for around £7! I won't be returning.

2  Thank NowlookatmeBanburys
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Food arrived almost cold, and had to send back one dish. Have had both good and bad experiences in the past. Its a shame because the variety and authenticity of the food have been key attractions. You could try Sedap at Old Street, or Singapore Gardens in Swiss Cottage, for a more consistent experience.

Reviewed February 14, 2012

I came across this place while on business in London and I have to say, it was superb.

I always trust a place where you are the only person speaking a different language.

I had a beef massuman curry, steamed coconut rice and a rather large glass of red for £16. The service was very plesant, no one was hovering around you or trying to ply you with more alcohol and the food came out in great time.

The food was really really good. Probably the best massuman I have had and you have a choice of Malay or Thai.

I will definately be returning and reccomend you go too!