“Poor service, cramped, bad food but good cocktails”

Salvador and Amanda - Covent Garden
Ranked #3,772 of 22,827 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: Neighbor to The Photographers Gallery on the cusp of Covent Garden and Soho, Salvador and Amanda is the latest blissed-out bar from the reliably funky Breakfast Group.
London, United Kingdom
“Poor service, cramped, bad food but good cocktails”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Not a place to go to if you want good food and space. No room to put any of the tapas plates so they come on towers (plates stacked on top of each other in a metal frame). Staff seemed to want to chat to each other rather than provide good service. The food itself was mediocre, especially since it is expensive for the amount provided. On the other hand, the drinks are good and it could be a fun place to have a cocktail or two with a small snack at the bar. Don't go for dinner!

• Visited January 2014

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic Night”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I meet with friends regularly for dinner and find the atmosphere, the music, the staff, the price and food all spot on - would highly recommend it.

• Visited December 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Average and could definitely do better”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I visited with a friend just after Christmas for tapas and wine. The decor here is interesting if somewhat dark. The loo's are tiny! The wine list is ok but the wine we ordered was mediocre. A selection of tapas again was of satisfactory quality but nothing special, given the prices charged. Service was reasonable. The place was very quiet considering the time of year and there is a lot of competition in the West End and they will have to up their game if they want customers to return.

• Visited December 2013
Salvador A, General Manager at Salvador and Amanda - Covent Garden, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Firstly let me apologise for the service you received during your visit to us here at Salvador & Amanda. We understand that any waiting time or bad experience you had here with us will never be acceptable. After your review we have taken measures to ensure all who are responsible have been subject to discussions on this matter & given clear direction to ensure that your concerns are addressed.

As you can appreciate we have been exceptionally busy over the Christmas period whilst operating as a bar, restaurant and late night venue and we apologise that sometimes these mistakes can happen. While we understand from your review this situation may have been an unpleasant experience we realise that this is not an excuse for the problems you encountered. Our desire is to ensure that all customers visiting our venue at Salvador and Amanda Leicester Square are given the best experience possible; in your case this may not have happened so please accept our most sincere apology. Should you wish to contact us personally to discuss this further, we would be happy to help.

London, United Kingdom
“Great potential, awful experience!”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I was at this venue this very evening and felt it important to spend a saturday night writing a review about my experience.

When I arrived I thought that the place was fantastic in terms of atmosphere, music choice and design. That is all that can be said about the positive experiences.

The negative experience commenced with the Tapas. I ordered three tapas at the bar after no waitress coming to ask us for orders after 40 minutes of arriving. 30 minutes later, one of the three plates arrived. 20 minutes later, none of my other two plates arrived. I was approached by someone from the other side of the long table asking whether someone had ordered the picante chorizo plate and I said I had. This plate had simply been dropped off at the other end of the table of 12 without any announcements and it was now super cold. I approached a waitress and asked for a new warm serving. She said she could not do anything and so called another waiter. I explained to the other waiter that I would not eat a cold main and that another place was missing and he told me to wait for a manager. After explaining the problem three times I was not amused. The manager told me that the problem I had was by making the order at the bar. Apparently if you order at the bar the plates come at seperate times. I said that this should not be a problem since my friends that ordered at the bar managed to get their food collectively and at the same time. They also told me that some foods takes longer to arrive, and that I should expect a cheese board to arrive earlier than a meat plate. Fair enough, but I told him that my fish and meat plate arrived before my cheese board and so his argument again made so sense. I also told him it was not my choice to order food at the bar, but when you wait for 40 minutes you lose hope of being attended by a waiter.

conclusion, after 20/30 minutes of arguments I finally received my chorizo plate, which was probably just heated in the microwave (judged by the presentation). and the cheese board arrived 15 minutes later as the last plate...

This was not the last disapointment. I later went to order a glass a red wine at the bar. The blond waitress poored a measily amount of wine into the glass. When I asked her if I could have more since it did not even look like 150 ml, she said no and went to the next customer. She had not even measured the amount she gave me, it was all guess work. I decided to not let it go since it cost a decent amount and so asked the other waiter to measure the amount I was provided and to give me what I deserved. When the blond waitress realized, she came by to listen to the entire conversation as she felt threatened. She had the audacity of interrupting and insinuating that I had drunk a lot of the wine. I told her to have a look at the glass and see that there were no lip stains and that the wine in the glass was the amount that she had given me. When the other waiter measured what I was given it was under that which I should have recieved, which was not a susprise since she had not measured the amount originally. And so the waiter gave me the additional ammount.

I felt like I spend 45min-1hr of my night arguing about what I deserved as a customer and being ripped off. It was appaling.

The place has a lot of potential but I will never be back by choice.

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank Siirimo

Salvador
“Dreadfully slow service and it was only little tapas!”
Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

I ate here a few days ago with a friend and it was painful. The location is great and interior nice but my goodness what incompetent and slow service.

It took 55minutes to bring us three small tapas items. Batatas bravas, meat and cheese selection and an octopus dish. We'd already been offered other dishes belonging to other customers as the waitresses seemed confused and ditzy to say the least. None of them asked if we wanted more drinks, which we did and at one point I went up to the bar to ask for one (bear in mind the restaurant was literally empty!).

We had churros for dessert which tasted like they were several days old minimum. Our bill was then incorrect and the drinks were so slow coming out we gave up. Awful.

Visited December 2013