“Good food, appalling bar staff”

Salvador and Amanda - Covent Garden
Ranked #1,218 of 23,845 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: An authentic Spanish Tapas Bar situated in Covent Garden close to Leicester Square tube station is an underground restaurant and late night bar. During the week the venue offers a relaxed environment to enjoy cocktails and tapas. At the weekend the venue livens up with tapas, cocktails and fiesta on a Friday and Saturday night with DJs and dancing until 3am!
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I've been here twice now and both times have been happy with the food but disgusted by the service I've received from the bar staff when we've stayed for cocktails and a dance after our meal. They are rude, dismissive and operate no system for serving that I can see. Twice I've been left standing at the bar for ages waiting for service while people who arrived after me are served before me. When I questioned it he second time I was told I wouldn't be served! Both times this has ruined what was otherwise a pleasant evening for me. I won't be going back to this place.

1  Thank MissSophieClarke

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Sitting at the table to find mouse poo on the pre laid plates. After the waitress removed the plate we asked to speak to the manager - he was extremely causal about this and refused to the the issue asking us what we would like him to do about it.

2  Thank AnnabelleH100
Salvador A, General Manager at Salvador and Amanda - Covent Garden, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear Annabelle
We take every complaint extremely seriously especially one of this nature. We've spoken to the manager on duty and he's confirmed your attendance at the restaurant, however he also informed us you were not charged for any food or drink on the evening. Since your complaint we’ve received a visit from the EHO and had a full inspection, as will be reported back to yourself. We follow strict controls throughout the business as set out by Westminster Council. However being a central London basement restaurant within the Leicester Square/China Town area we cannot rule out the possibility something of this nature may occur occasionally if at all. We have all Health and Safety files, Pest Control and Westminster City Council inspection files on site available for you or any customer to view at any time, should it be required. At the time of the inspection we have been given a clean bill of health and awarded 5* score (which can be seen on our front door) with Westminster Council, the highest rating available within their ratings bracket. In response to your review, we feel we have a good relationship with our customers as you can see from other reviews. Salvador & Amanda Team

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Not the biggest fan of tapas (too many plates whizzing about); but this was chosen for our pre-theatre meal, and so went with it. Very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food, and the constant turnover of dishes by the waitresses (the small table necessitated that to be honest). The venue seemed pretty big, although didn't go exploring. We had the circular booth, right in amongst it all, and the place started to buzz. Pretty reasonably priced, and, as I mentioned, excellent service throughout. No hesitation in recommending, or returning.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Overall a nice experience. We were there on a promotion and the set menu tapas and a glass of Cava was good value for money. All the tapas were properly cooked and offered a variety of flavours and textures. The house red for £10 a bottle during the happy hour up until 8 pm was excellent. As other people have commented, the view of the dancefloor where the flamenco is being "demonstrated" is limited to all but a very few tables. Indeed, some tables have no view whatsoever. That said, the Spanish music could be heard everywhere as could the tap of the dancers shoes. As so often is the case now in London, promotional prices provide good value for money but I would be reluctant to dine there otherwise.

2  Thank TempusLondon
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We booked a table here because firstly it was very close to the theatre we were attending, secondly it takes Tastecard and thirdly it had good reviews on here.

The staff are great: friendly on the phone when I booked, a warm welcome when we arrived and our waitress struck the perfect balance of attentiveness without being intrusive. Once we'd finally decided what to order, the food was delivered very quickly to the table but not all at once. The patatas bravas was delicious (in face we ordered a second portion), as was the pollo a la parilla - this arrived later than the other dishes but was worth the wait as it was cooked perfectly.

Will definitely be going back.