Having enjoyed a very pleasant meal at Bentley's with my son in 2018 we repeated our visit on 7 December 2019. The meal was enjoyable at the time, but soon afterwards both my son and I - who do not live together, and shared no meals other than this one for several days before or after - developed classic symptoms of severe food poisoning. Could have been the oysters, could have been the octopus. I note another reviewer, quite unconnected with us, visited around the same date and had a very similar experience - indeed worse, needing a hospital visit. A conclusion may be drawn, based on the balance of probability, as to whether Bentley's food was the root cause of the illness we and the other reviewer experienced. Bentley's insist not, and tell us it cannot be proved, which is true. Whilst we could perhaps accept this as a an "occupational hazard" with seafood consumption, what left a much worse taste in the mouth was the refusal of Bentley's to accept responsibility and do the decent thing when my son complained. They did however devote a lot of effort to rebutting his complaint. Whilst many, though not all, reviewers have had a much more pleasant experience than us we will not be visiting this restaurant again. In context, I have made a number of contributions to this site over the years and this is the first negative one. I hope it will be many years before I write anything similar.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.