Tripadvisor

Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Transit: Underground Piccadilly or Green Park stations.
Description: Bentley’s has been serving it’s seafood delights and feeding the hungry shopping masses for over 102 years, a haven for fresh oysters, grilled fish and steaks from around the British & Irish Isles and has been under the watchful eye of Michelin star Chef Richard Corrigan for the past 12 years. The sensitive restoration of this famous restaurant has retained many original features of the building and the spirit of Bentley's original arts and crafts heritage has been preserved in the carefully thought-out choice of furnishings, fabrics and wallpapers. American oak flooring, light wooden panelling and the reframed old Bentley's fish paintings all add to the relaxed air of calm, understated luxury. Bentley's has its own bakery and patisserie and sources all ingredients, such as Irish smoked salmon and the finest West Cork beef, from some of the best producers in the business.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Having enjoyed a very pleasant meal at Bentley's with my son in 2018 we repeated our visit on 7 December 2019. The meal was enjoyable at the time, but soon afterwards both my son and I - who do not live together, and shared no meals other than this one for several days before or after - developed classic symptoms of severe food poisoning. Could have been the oysters, could have been the octopus. I note another reviewer, quite unconnected with us, visited around the same date and had a very similar experience - indeed worse, needing a hospital visit. A conclusion may be drawn, based on the balance of probability, as to whether Bentley's food was the root cause of the illness we and the other reviewer experienced. Bentley's insist not, and tell us it cannot be proved, which is true. Whilst we could perhaps accept this as a an "occupational hazard" with seafood consumption, what left a much worse taste in the mouth was the refusal of Bentley's to accept responsibility and do the decent thing when my son complained. They did however devote a lot of effort to rebutting his complaint. Whilst many, though not all, reviewers have had a much more pleasant experience than us we will not be visiting this restaurant again. In context, I have made a number of contributions to this site over the years and this is the first negative one. I hope it will be many years before I write anything similar.

Date of visit: December 2019
4  Thank SXW33
IonutBlaga, Owner at Bentley's Oyster Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear SXW33,

I hope this reply finds you well. It seems my initial response to your son, who also left a review of the same experience, has not been published. I am investigating as to why this has happened – but I apologise if you felt we hadn’t responded to your son regarding his review. I am assuming that this is the reasoning behind you also, turning to the internet to express your disappointment, perhaps in hope that we would feel obliged to compensate you as you originally wished. May I reiterate the results of your food poisoning allegations came from Food Alert – “a leading health & safety consultant providing specialist food safety, health & safety and fire safety services”. The report and investigation must come from an external assessor, safeguarding our customers from any biased results. I am aware that you and your son were adamant on receiving monetary compensation from Bentley’s Oyster Bar after your illness. However, the conclusion of your results that were sent to you, show that the illness yourself and your son experienced were not from our establishment. My hope that you and your son are well and have made a full recovery are genuine. And as mentioned to you before, I do hope we can both move on from this incident. Kind regards, Ionut, Ionut Blaga Assistant General Manager.

Write a reviewReviews (1,994)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Very nice time a the Bentley’s bar, my bartender/waiter Ezio was amazing, offering me a great service and welcoming feeling.
The oysters I had were fresh and lovely just as the wine was.

Good luck and great future!!
Well done for the service, will be back with my boyfriend for sure!!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Early start for our oyster shucking and tasting experience. The two gents doing the demo were very professional and patient with the whole class. We tasted a number of different oysters both raw and cooked paired with champagne and a very pleasant dry white. It was a most enjoyable experience and we did learn to open oysters.

Date of visit: January 2020
IonutBlaga, Owner at Bentley's Oyster Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear TheBigD111,

Our Oyster Masterclasses are always so popular - and now I'm sure you can see why! It's such a great experience to learn about the oysters we serve from the professional shuckers whilst sitting at the bar and having a glass of fizz. It takes you back in time somewhat!

Feel free to pop in any time and visit the bar again - our Oyster Bar is always welcoming for those who fancy a selection of oysters and a couple of light bites, topped off, of course, with a fabulous glass of wine!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The food was truly delicious and the service excellent, The pre-theatre dinner menu was excellent value for money.

Dear 123LRP,

We are so glad you had a great meal with us - and took advantage of our brilliant pre-theatre offers.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Bentley's in the near future!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Second time I’ve visited this restaurant, last time with friends this time for business meeting. Food was as good as last time and luckily Galya was again looking after our table. Client I was with had a quite few questions about the dishes and Galya was able to answer them all. Absolute asset!!

Dear McRob,

We're so glad you came back to Bentley's! The great thing about our restaurant is that it's great for all occasions, whether it be catching up with friends, or needing somewhere unobtrusive to hold a business meeting!

I have of course passed your praise to the brilliant Galya - we agree, she really is an asset to the Bentley's team.

See you soon!